Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 24, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #1,727 of 7,191
Audeze is probably a bit fortunate that Microsoft has yet to certify the headset. Not sure they co

Yes, there is a steep drop off in audio quality when piggy-backing on the PS5 controller's wireless signal. If audio quality is a priority, you will want the dedicated wireless signal or to be wired directly to the console.
That's what I figured but wanted to confirm. Thanks!

Nov 24, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #1,730 of 7,191
I'm attempting to cancel my regular Penrose. That "few days" delay next week until the next batch arrives is going to turn into another 2+ week wait, I can already feel it.

Going to just buy a Ananda and live with cables while waiting for the PS5 to allow for 3D audio through HDMI.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #1,731 of 7,191
Keep in mind, there are different degrees of plastic quality. Take for instance the HD650; the vast majority of it is made out of plastic, but no one would call it a non-premium product. In fact, they purposely used plastic to make it light. Since you mentioned the plastic headband, take a look at this video. Personally, I actually prefer if the adjustment is not smooth as it means I am sure how much I adjusted it. That's just me though. I know a lot of people who really just putting on the headphones and smoothly pulling down the cans to the right level/placement. For me personally, it's the color scheme that makes it look cheap and toy-like.

Hey I appreciate you weighing in here. That video does change my perception. The headset still feels toy like to me, but I think "toy" might be harsh. After watching the video and playing with the headset some more (obviously I gave it a little twist 😂) I will 100% concede that the Penrose feels higher quality than my initial impression may suggest. Will update my post to reflect that.

In terms of smoothness: I was/am having trouble adjusting the band by each click. It either doesn't move or I end up applying too much force and adjust by 2-3 clicks when I am trying to adjust by one.

I am also having some disconnect/reconnect issues during meetings, but I have yet to troubleshoot for interference, firmware, and/or different ports for the USB dongle.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #1,732 of 7,191
Is anyone else experiencing the same issues?

1) Need to unplug the dongle and reconnect due to the "CONNECTED" -> disconnect loop. Often 10+ resets, even on different ports, doesn't help. Once it's stable, there are no issues until the next time I walk out of range (5yds at best) or power cycle the headset.
2) Intermittent sounds like wind blowing quietly on top of the noise floor when media is not playing. Sidetone off, mic muted.

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #1,733 of 7,191
Pasting in the some user impressions from the Reddit thread, as people are starting to receive their orders:

I got my Penrose yesterday. First few impressions:
  • Sound quality is pretty good. Mids and treble sound great. Soundstage and separation are good. I'm playing mostly FPS and they're pretty good for footsteps and general gaming soundstage. I would have liked more impact and presence on the bass but I'm EQing with Dolby Atmos and seems to be better. EQing on Audeze App lowers the volume even if you increase/decrease any frequency by 3db, so not really using this until we get an update (only used to turn sidetone off). Generally, definitely a step up above my Arctis 7 for sound quality. I have since been using my Philips Fidelio X2HR running through a FiiO K3 DAC/Amp but if I'm going to be honest, the Penrose don't hold up anywhere close to those (granted slightly unfair since comparing against an open back + dac/amp).
  • 2.5 Ghz wireless dongle range is worse than Arctis 7. Not a big deal since I'm mostly at my desk but worth pointing out.
  • I wish there was an easy way to tell battery life. As I understand, the only way is via the light that blinks on the left headphone - blinks yellow when it's getting low.
  • Also can confirm that you can't control volume via Windows, can only be adjusted via the slider, though Spotify volume bar does change volume. I know Audeze is working on a fix for this so props to them on that.
  • I have a smaller head and generally clamping force seems OK to me but I can totally understand people with larger heads may find it to be high. I find the earpads comfortable and no issues with ears heating up so far.
  • Microphone quality is by far the most disappointing. This wasn't that far that up in my priority list but I just expected this to be the same if not better than the Arctis 7. I didn't mention anything to my friends but I hopped onto the discord last night with my Penrose and all 5 people remarked completely independently "hey what's up with your mic man? sounds a bit weird and muffled. not as clear as your mic normally is. check your settings". Surprising that they're implying that the Arctis 7 sounded clearer and they couldn't be biased since they didn't know I switched headsets. Anyway, I was wondering if this could be due to the pop filter that's on the mic. Tried to remove to test but it seems like it's really ON there - maybe glued? Did anyone else have any luck with that or generally improving mic quality? Could this be achieved via software?
Overall, I wish I could say I'm blown away by the Penrose especially at this price point. Maybe my expectations got the better of me. That being said, it's just been Day 2 so I may grow into them more. I'm definitely keeping them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got mine. I think the mic is pretty good for what it is.

Here's a comparison to my g933

Penrose - https://vocaroo.com/1n73uzqV6ugp

G933 - https://vocaroo.com/1ivKbTUS4J1t

As everyone's mentioned, the headband does fit closer in, so the clamping force is a little more than my G933. Probably will get better as I keep using. It covers my ears more snug than my G933 as the G933 I think has a wider size for your ears. The audio does sound quite better on G933. I'm not pro in audio but it definitely sounds nicer to my ears.

Windows volume as everyone mentioned, don't control the headset volume.

The app needs help. In order to use it at all, you have to be connected via USB. Once you're disconnected, adjusting the mic volume directly from the headset, the app doesn't pick up the value meaning the app completely stops when the headset is unplugged via USB.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mixed... I want to use it for a few days before making sweeping statements.

I bought it as a replacement to my TB stealth 400x headset, as something that I used for work calls, music and gaming.

Calls and mic quality

The mic itself sounds decent in wireless mode, but seemed sort of flat. I took a voice recording off my old turtle beaches and these and the TB sounded better imo (they are also usb wireless by the way) Also, while on a few calls, my wireless connection dropped once or twice in which prompts the electronic female voice to say "connected!". Also, at times, when there wasn't a real drop i would get crackling / dropping audio... I am about 2 to 4 feet from the USB dongle too.

Music - sounded great. No surprise here, this is audeze and where these really shine. Im no audiophile so I won't lie and try to make any real qualitative assessment on these but I will say they easily sound better than my TBs .

Games - only tried a few minutes on destiny 2 so far but I'd say theyre... "ok". I feel like these would benefit from more bass as it seemed explosions and gunshots etc lacked real punch. Directional audio seemed sufficient. The max volume seems a tad low imo.

Also my fears about this head of mine are probably correct. These are TIGHT. Im legitimate concerned with these long term. I did get used to the clamping force though.

Just got mine about an hour ago. I've noticed a few things immediately:

- The Audeze HQ software can't detect the phones on both mobile and desktop lol (bluetooth for mobile, 2.4GHz adapter for PC)

- the audio definitely skips and distorts over the 2.4GHz connection very frequently, at least every 10-20 seconds listening to Spotify on a PC

Overall, I can't recommend these quite yet until these problems are addressed or fixed.

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #1,734 of 7,191
Is anyone else experiencing the same issues?

1) Need to unplug the dongle and reconnect due to the "CONNECTED" -> disconnect loop. Often 10+ resets, even on different ports, doesn't help. Once it's stable, there are no issues until the next time I walk out of range (5yds at best) or power cycle the headset.
2) Intermittent sounds like wind blowing quietly on top of the noise floor when media is not playing. Sidetone off, mic muted.
Is this for the PS5 or PC?

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #1,735 of 7,191

Is the connection stable on the Windows PC (i.e you don't hear windows saying device is connected and disconnected) and the disconnect happens only on your headphone? if yes this could indicate interference or obstruction. Best results are when you have line of sight, when we tested in a large empty room, we were able to get up to 30m range. One simple solution if the dongle is behind are in-between a whole other bunch of connections and ports is to use a simple USB extension cable (1-3feet) so the dongle is easily accessible and visible.

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #1,737 of 7,191
I had to join and comment. I keep noticing how audeze picks and chooses which post to answer or reply to. I get that things happen and all, but how about some customer service. At this point, there are at least 3 discrepancies from what was recently stated. I just don’t see anything being done to address these issues. In the name of goodwill and good old fashioned customer service, what about finally actually using expedited shipping for the customers who got their order in by the 12th and should have already received their headsets by now? Everyone else got theirs yet there were some orders that were sent out that ordered after the 12th. Let’s see SOMETHING....anything. It won’t put you guys out of business and I’m sure it will be appreciated.

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #1,738 of 7,191
I think we are about to find out what they are all about when it comes with returns and refunds. If they are good and proud of their product, they will stand behind their return policy and offer free refunds to anyone that is having issues or is unhappy. But if they change their tune and give folks a hard time, it won’t be pretty. I do want to say the fact that they even post on forums is more than most companies I deal with, so I have to give them that. Also, the people working there are people as well - and the world right now sucks. So I am going to just say I’m not happy, ask for a refund, and move on. If they make things difficult, that is when I’ll start getting nasty.

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #1,739 of 7,191
I had to join and comment. I keep noticing how audeze picks and chooses which post to answer or reply to. I get that things happen and all, but how about some customer service. At this point, there are at least 3 discrepancies from what was recently stated. I just don’t see anything being done to address these issues. In the name of goodwill and good old fashioned customer service, what about finally actually using expedited shipping for the customers who got their order in by the 12th and should have already received their headsets by now? Everyone else got theirs yet there were some orders that were sent out that ordered after the 12th. Let’s see SOMETHING....anything. It won’t put you guys out of business and I’m sure it will be appreciated.
No ill intent there, you will notice two handles responding here either 'Audeze' which is our official handle or me (KMann). I am not located at Audeze HQ and do not have up-to-date information on logistics etc, nor do I directly deal with CS issues. I respond and try to help with technical issues in my spare time.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #1,740 of 7,191
EQing on Audeze App lowers the volume even if you increase/decrease any frequency by 3db, so not really using this until we get an update (only used to turn sidetone off).

This is by design to prevent clipping. When you increase the gain in EQ by more than 3dB, and if you happen to be playing close to full volume (which we won't recommend), then it will result in clipping and distortion, this is true wit any DSP. The simple solution is to increase the volume of your headset a little to compensate for the decreased volume.

However it should not lower the volume if you reduce the EQ gain, we will try to replicate that and fix it if that is what you are experiencing.

Edit: If you reduce the EQ gain at multiple frequencies, by virtue of decreasing the gain at multiple frequency bands, the overall volume will be lower and that is normal. but let us say you pull down 32Hz or 256Hz by 3dB or even 6dB, the overall level should not go down except what is expected at those frequencies.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back