Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 22, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #1,577 of 7,191
This sounds like a problem with the connection to your USB port. We have seen this happen with some USB hubs. I would suggest try to plug directly into a "USB port on your PC and also try switching the port.

Sure enough, a USB port on the back of my Mobo works fine. It will be a bummer if I can't find a USB switch that works with these. Is the dongle a power hog? I notice it's pretty warm.

Anyway, thanks for the quick response.

Nov 22, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #1,578 of 7,191
Sure enough, a USB port on the back of my Mobo works fine. It will be a bummer if I can't find a USB switch that works with these. Is the dongle a power hog? I notice it's pretty warm.

Anyway, thanks for the quick response.
Glad that worked.

The dongle is a wireless transmitter and yes it needs some juice. Some hubs can’t handle that especially if you have multiple devices connected.

Another possible source of connection issues is if you have a high speed (such as usb3 external hdd) connected right next to the port of the dongle. The USB3 connection can generate interference. So always a good idea to try a different port if you are experiencing drop outs.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #1,579 of 7,191
Shame about the range. Peeing on voice chat was a great luxury.
I feel the same way, lol. Still want to try these out for quality wireless sound... but if I can't reach the bathroom without breaking up the connection I'll probably be using them in conjunction with another Arctis.

Nov 22, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #1,580 of 7,191
Glad that worked.

The dongle is a wireless transmitter and yes it needs some juice. Some hubs can’t handle that especially if you have multiple devices connected.

Another possible source of connection issues is if you have a high speed (such as usb3 external hdd) connected right next to the port of the dongle. The USB3 connection can generate interference. So always a good idea to try a different port if you are experiencing drop outs.

That's good to know. I can't imagine the ports on the back of my monitor, between a wireless mouse transmitter, HDMI, and DisplayPort are free of crosstalk.

Nov 22, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #1,581 of 7,191
asking again as this thread has been moving quick; for those of you who’ve already received your penrose, have you noticed any degradation in the audio quality from the 2.4ghz wireless source when you mix in a secondary bluetooth source? thanks.
I have experienced this as well... If connected to my Phone (nothing playing) and connected to my PC via the USB dongle it does lower the sound a bit.

Nov 22, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #1,582 of 7,191
My friends actually said i sounded great today when we played warzone.I am a bit taken back by the early reviews, these felt premium, sound absolutely amazing, and work great with PS5. The game chat mix for me is not a big deal at all, since PS5 updated it to include a quick shortcut directly the game chat mix and i actually prefer that way since i get a visual of what i am doing. My BIG issue besides the weird sound I am hearing when browsing the UI is if i need to return these for the Xbox version to have it work on both systems. I am torn on that and I may just opt to plug it direct into the controller for xbox if Audeze makes things difficult in that regard.

An important life lesson I learned is that flaws are everywhere when you are looking for them. At the end of the day, the important thing is to figure out if you like something or someone and just focus on that.

Nov 22, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #1,583 of 7,191
Penrose Mic sample uploaded here:

https://vocaroo.com/1kbJXSE3ucq8

Recorded in Windows Voice Recorder using wireless mode. No aux sample because my PC aux input is noisy (bad PSU or mobo).

I do also occasionally hear the reported sound like wind blowing (which is very dyamic), but most times I only hear the pure static noise floor.

edit: Is there any way to get a battery read on these things other than the 10%/20%/full indicated by the LEDs? Bluetooth, 2.4GHz wireless, wired... I don't care which.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #1,585 of 7,191
So...where we at with pre-orders? Anyone got their shipping/tracking number for late October?

It's officially the end of the week and I am entirely sure Audeze hasn't even come close to fulfilling their word on shipping out all pre-order Penrose units by 'this week'.

Nov 22, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #1,586 of 7,191
Penrose Mic sample uploaded here:

https://vocaroo.com/1kbJXSE3ucq8

Recorded in Windows Voice Recorder using wireless mode. No aux sample because my PC aux input is noisy (bad PSU or mobo).

I do also occasionally hear the reported sound like wind blowing (which is very dyamic), but most times I only hear the pure static noise floor.

edit: Is there any way to get a battery read on these things other than the 10%/20%/full indicated by the LEDs? Bluetooth, 2.4GHz wireless, wired... I don't care which.

Sounds no better than my Arctis Pro. Certainly worse than my modmic but that's wired.

Nov 22, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #1,587 of 7,191
Interesting. Similarly muffled like most of the customer samples, aside from that YouTuber via OBS.

Yeah, it's weird.. certainly if mine is muffled like that i'll just stick to using the HyperX Quadcast mic at my desk that my wife uses for work, but if it sounded more like the youtube review guy i'd definitely use it to get the boom out of my way.

Nov 22, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #1,588 of 7,191
So...where we at with pre-orders? Anyone got their shipping/tracking number for late October?

It's officially the end of the week and I am entirely sure Audeze hasn't even come close to fulfilling their word on shipping out all pre-order Penrose units by 'this week'.
Still no news from my preorder done in August. Asked yesterday to @Audeze, they said they will also be shipping in Saturday, but at least mine wasn’t.
Kind of annoying because they said they will be shipping in a first come first serve basis.
Also they said they will use expedite shipping.
I hope at least they will commit to that!

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #1,590 of 7,191
I received my Penrose today. My thoughts below:

- Sound is fantastic, very neutral all around with a great sound signature. Hands down the best gaming headset I have ever heard and I have owned at least 10, including a bunch from steelseries, sony, astro, etc.

- I don't notice any weird hiss or weird noise floor, I guess with sidetone on I hear a very tiny bit - but so do all my headsets. Either the earlyreviews are insanely exaggerating or they have a bad unit. There is no way that what I hear could bother anybody. UPDATE: I actually do hear an audible hiss when using them hardwired into an xbox controller, no audible hiss wireless to PS5

- I DO hear some weird robotic/metalitc type noises when i click around the PS5 dashboard. It is not static and only happens when the PS initiates the UI SFX. I have no idea what this is and its very hard to explain. Basically if you move around the UI of the PS5 OS, it makes sound effects as you scroll around, those sound effects have a weird robotic almost interference type noise to them. Something I have never heard before. When others receive the headset, they will need to test this. Turn off background music in the sony UI menu and start scrolling around - you will hear it. I don't really hear this weird type of noise in the game, but it doesnt mean its not there. It is really hard to explain this one in words. UPDATE: This weird noise is present on other headphones with the PS5 as well, they just use a crappy quality sound effect for their UI prompts so it sounds weird.

- I have no issues at all with the clamp pressure, but I have a normal size head.

- Sidetone is easy to turn off with the app, but as Audeze mentioned - simply making this a button press on the headset is 100 percent the way to go.

- Not having a batter indicator sucks

- The womans voice constantly saying "connected...connected...connected" when i get out of range is really annoying, when I get out range just have her shut up - its obvious i am out of range when i hear nothing in my headset. Also, the range is not good, but i have a small room and its fine for me. But once i start heading in my hallway its gone.

Overall the only real issue i have is the weird sound i hear when scrolling through the PS UI. I cant figure it out and i need to test it out further. I tried going with a cable direct to the controller and I still heard it, but maybe not as loud. I will see if the Xbox makes a similar noise throug its UI, but that will be done wired to the controller obviously. If i can solve that, these are near perfect headphones for gaming. **(SOLVED, read notes above)** My friends actually said i sounded great today when we played warzone.I am a bit taken back by the early reviews, these felt premium, sound absolutely amazing, and work great with PS5. The game chat mix for me is not a big deal at all, since PS5 updated it to include a quick shortcut directly the game chat mix and i actually prefer that way since i get a visual of what i am doing. My BIG issue besides the weird sound I am hearing when browsing the UI is if i need to return these for the Xbox version to have it work on both systems. I am torn on that and I may just opt to plug it direct into the controller for xbox if Audeze makes things difficult in that regard.

how did the penrose sound with things like positional/footstep audio in comparison to the other headphones you’ve used? I play WZ a lot and look forward to using these for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back