Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 22, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #1,561 of 7,191
Just curious, what made you guys order this headset for gaming? Most people recommend open back headphones for that wider soundstage + no problems getting hot on your ears in lengthy gaming sessions. Used open back headphones for so many years so just curious seeing how popular these are.

Most likely due go ease of use being wireless and the good sound that comes from planars.

If sennheiser could make the pc38x wireless with a detachable mic and keep it open I think we'd have the holy grail of gaming headsets.. But it probably will never happen

Nov 22, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #1,562 of 7,191
Audeze is pointedly quiet on the Penrose X compatibility with PS5. Based on an understanding that Penrose X with the dongle toggle off is just a generic stereo audio device + mono mic, we can conclude:

1) Penrose is an inferior product with a subset of Penrose X functionality, for the same price.
2) The only other difference is aesthetic (blue/green), which is poor for both models.

I would suggest anyone buying these to get the Penrose X and dish out $30 for the charcoal Mobius pads. You get the full-featured product, no "gamer" aesthetic, and the only difference is blue vs. green "A" on the side of the headband.

Aside from the fact I have no intention of getting an Xbox, the thing that made me keep my Penrose order was the lack of MacOS support listed on the Penrose X.

I can see potential reasons why Audeze might not be able to confirm PS5 support of their Xbox branded headset, but I just can’t see why MacOS should be left off the list unless it genuinely doesn’t work.

Nov 22, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #1,563 of 7,191
I received my Penrose today. My thoughts below:

- Sound is fantastic, very neutral all around with a great sound signature. Hands down the best gaming headset I have ever heard and I have owned at least 10, including a bunch from steelseries, sony, astro, etc.

- I don't notice any weird hiss or weird noise floor, I guess with sidetone on I hear a very tiny bit - but so do all my headsets. Either the earlyreviews are insanely exaggerating or they have a bad unit. There is no way that what I hear could bother anybody. UPDATE: I actually do hear an audible hiss when using them hardwired into an xbox controller, no audible hiss wireless to PS5

- I DO hear some weird robotic/metalitc type noises when i click around the PS5 dashboard. It is not static and only happens when the PS initiates the UI SFX. I have no idea what this is and its very hard to explain. Basically if you move around the UI of the PS5 OS, it makes sound effects as you scroll around, those sound effects have a weird robotic almost interference type noise to them. Something I have never heard before. When others receive the headset, they will need to test this. Turn off background music in the sony UI menu and start scrolling around - you will hear it. I don't really hear this weird type of noise in the game, but it doesnt mean its not there. It is really hard to explain this one in words. UPDATE: This weird noise is present on other headphones with the PS5 as well, they just use a crappy quality sound effect for their UI prompts so it sounds weird.

- I have no issues at all with the clamp pressure, but I have a normal size head.

- Sidetone is easy to turn off with the app, but as Audeze mentioned - simply making this a button press on the headset is 100 percent the way to go.

- Not having a batter indicator sucks

- The womans voice constantly saying "connected...connected...connected" when i get out of range is really annoying, when I get out range just have her shut up - its obvious i am out of range when i hear nothing in my headset. Also, the range is not good, but i have a small room and its fine for me. But once i start heading in my hallway its gone.

Overall the only real issue i have is the weird sound i hear when scrolling through the PS UI. I cant figure it out and i need to test it out further. I tried going with a cable direct to the controller and I still heard it, but maybe not as loud. I will see if the Xbox makes a similar noise throug its UI, but that will be done wired to the controller obviously. If i can solve that, these are near perfect headphones for gaming. **(SOLVED, read notes above)** My friends actually said i sounded great today when we played warzone.I am a bit taken back by the early reviews, these felt premium, sound absolutely amazing, and work great with PS5. The game chat mix for me is not a big deal at all, since PS5 updated it to include a quick shortcut directly the game chat mix and i actually prefer that way since i get a visual of what i am doing. My BIG issue besides the weird sound I am hearing when browsing the UI is if i need to return these for the Xbox version to have it work on both systems. I am torn on that and I may just opt to plug it direct into the controller for xbox if Audeze makes things difficult in that regard.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #1,566 of 7,191
Just curious, what made you guys order this headset for gaming? Most people recommend open back headphones for that wider soundstage + no problems getting hot on your ears in lengthy gaming sessions. Used open back headphones for so many years so just curious seeing how popular these are.

I only use a headset if I am playing with friends and voice chatting, so microphone quality and wireless were bigger factors than open vs closed. The only other wireless headset I have seen that I thought had a good mic was the Corsair Virtuoso, but that headset is also closed-back and has mixed reviews in terms of audio quality.

If I'm playing alone, I would rather use speakers than open-backed headphones, for the same comfort and soundstage reasons you mentioned.

Nov 22, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #1,567 of 7,191
**Updates to my post**: That weird noise I am hearing is present on other headphones when directly plugged into the PS5 - this weird noise is actually on the playstation side, it seems to be just a crappy quality sound effect that they use for their UI prompts. It is more noticeable on the Penrose than most headphones, but thats probably because their sound stage impacts that specific sound more. Another very interesting update, the noise floor/hiss that another user was complaining about is not present when I am using wireless with the PS5. In fact, even with sidetone on I dont hear it. But when plugged directly into the Xbox controller hardwired, I def here an audible hiss. Hardwired into a PS5 controller does NOT produce this same hiss. Other headpohones direct into xbox do NOT produce the hiss. Def something weird going on here in regards to this. Will continue to update as I use them, but I am significantly more happy knowing that the weird effect I was hearing wasn't the actual headphones.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #1,568 of 7,191

I use headphones when I am gaming with others. As such, my priorities were wireless and audio quality. As long as the mic was acceptable, I was going to be fine with it.

Nov 22, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #1,569 of 7,191
I got my headphones an hour ago, and I don't have anything good thing to say about it yet.

The only sound I have heard through the headset in the last hour is:

CONNECTED

CONNECTED

CONNECTED

CONNECTED

CONNECTED

The dongle is two feet in front of my face and it won't stay connected long enough to play audio. I got it working for about 15 seconds, and then I turned my head and lost the signal. CONNECTED. CONNECTED. CONNECTED.

Meanwhile, the Windows connect/disconnect chime has been playing Twice every 4 seconds for an hour because the mic/headphones are connected/disconnected.

This shouldn't be a battery issue because (1) there is no low battery indicator and (2) I'm trying it both plugged in (to my PC) and unplugged.

Any by the way, this slider has no effect whatsoever on volume. I don't know how you even accomplish that in an audio driver. (The photo below doesn't say Penrose because I only got to test it once, for the 15 seconds I was playing audio on a steady connection)

Audio Slider.png

FWIW, that 15 seconds of audio was phenomenal.

If I sound agitated, it's because I've been listening to some sort of dystopian trance music for an hour: "CONNECTED. *Windows disconnect chime x2* CONNECTED *Windows connect chime x2* ..."

Nov 22, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #1,570 of 7,191
I got my headphones an hour ago, and I don't have anything good thing to say about it yet.

CONNECTED

CONNECTED

CONNECTED

CONNECTED

CONNECTED

The dongle is two feet in front of my face and it won't stay connected long enough to play audio. I got it working for about 15 seconds, and then I turned my head and lost the signal. CONNECTED. CONNECTED. CONNECTED.

Meanwhile, the Windows connect/disconnect chime has been playing Twice every 4 seconds for an hour because the mic/headphones are connected/disconnected.

This shouldn't be a battery issue because (1) there is no low battery indicator and (2) I'm trying it both plugged in (to my PC) and unplugged.

Any by the way, this slider has no effect whatsoever on volume. I don't know how you even accomplish that in an audio driver. (The photo below doesn't say Penrose because I only got to test it once, for the 15 seconds I was playing audio on a steady connection)

If I sound agitated, it's because I've been listening to some sort of dystopian trance music for an hour: "CONNECTED. *Windows disconnect chime x2* CONNECTED *Windows connect chime x2* ..."

Have you tried another computer yet?

Nov 22, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #1,571 of 7,191

I could be wrong (because the volume slider thing is not something i expected either based on what i know about Windows), but if you are getting the Windows connect/disconnect chime that suggests to me that it is the dongle that is connecting and disconnecting from the PC, and the headset is just losing connection because the dongle keeps going offline. Try plugging the dongle into another USB port?

Nov 22, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #1,575 of 7,191

CONNECTED

CONNECTED

CONNECTED

CONNECTED

CONNECTED

Audio Slider.png

This sounds like a problem with the connection to your USB port. We have seen this happen with some USB hubs. I would suggest try to plug directly into a "USB port on your PC and also try switching the port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back