Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 21, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #1,471 of 7,191
Also, here is my test of the mic in different settings vs Mobius mic under same conditions on the same test period. Disregard the background and focus on voice, as my conditions are trash. Also disregard recording volume. That's settings error on my part. There's no suppresion or filters done here. Just raw.

I'm not thrilled by wireless quality, and feel the actual mic is held back by the bandwidth limitation of wireless mode. But there you have it. Also, the mic in wireless DOES sound better on ps5 imho, so I think my pc settings are a little jacked.

I'll add some phone recording samples via aux, and bluetooth when I can.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #1,472 of 7,191
Wireless mic doesn't really sound bad in those samples(obviously not as good as wired), however, I listened the samples on my iphone 11 pro 🤷‍♂️

Edit: listened with headphones, still sounds pretty good.
Nice voice, dude.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #1,479 of 7,191
No clue. It is great for gaming, has wireless, Bluetooth, optical, aux out, 2 batteries, and a mic I've never heard complaints about. It also has none of the buggy crap going on in these threads and is visually more appealing.
I have Siberia 800 (prevoius model), I use them with Xbox Series X (dac is connected through optical to TV) , but I have enough of any wires (for chat I have to connect headset to the controller).

I've read that Arctis Wireless Pro doesn't allow to use simunetanously wireless connection + wire to controller - which is why they can't be used with Xbox at all.

Anyway, if Wireless Pro are similar to Siberia 800 and are comperable to Penrose, maybe I should not replace my Siberia.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #1,480 of 7,191
I want to get it. But I read it has a white noise problem. There are those who mention this sprin on the Reddit forums. This worries me.

It's something you only hear if sound is muted. Basically any wireless set will have that to some degree. If you can't deal with that, wired is about the only solution. I'm sure the Penrose has some sound of you aren't playing audio as well.

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #1,482 of 7,191
@Audeze I hope you don’t skirt around this question because it’s one that I don’t think any of us have a true answer for and it’ll be helpful for many. I have a ps5 and an Xbox. I wasn’t planning on getting both, but here I am. I have the PlayStation penrose delivering tomorrow. How do I use 1 headset on 2 consoles? Can I buy an Xbox dongle? Do I return the PlayStation version and get the Xbox version which could work for both? What are the options for us consumers who have both consoles? Also, I’m ok with you stating what “can possibly work” instead of making it a fact, since I know there is some legality in telling people what non tested and non certified solutions will work. Just giving us a nudge in the right direction would be great.
FYI if you were to ask me and several other folks, I’d love to be able to just buy the Xbox or PlayStation dongle by itself so I can just use 1 headset for multiple systems without swapping.

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #1,483 of 7,191
I have both on hand to directly compare. Personally speaking, Mobius at default or flat presets is warmer, thicker, more classic LCD esque sound. The Penrose sounds faster, not as thick, and sharper. More focused. Less bold and rounded in notes.

Both have very deep and immersive bass. The Penrose sounds clearer focused (more dry), while the Mobius sounds more forgiving and notes take up more space, whereas Penrose has more space between notes.

I'll have more to say when I finish writing my review.

Just my two cents. Maybe my definition of different isn't vast enough to quantify difference or sameness between them, bit I could definitely tell which is which in a blind test. Maybe in a not so direct comparison I could see a familiarity, personally.

Any chance you could try to match the Penrose to the Mobius sound (or at least just get it close) and post EQ settings?

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #1,484 of 7,191
The dangerous thing about adding a feature which allows you to shift bandwidth from the drivers to mic is that 90% of consumers are dummies and will RMA/return it due to poor sound quality.

As is the mic is passable but if someone accidently ticks that mic quality checkbox or uses whatever button combination to enable and is a doofus, it's a lot of headache for audeze. Most of the decisions companies make are to protect consumers from their own stupidity.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I personally purchased these with complete disregard for the mic and will literally never attach it but an option to sacrifice SQ for mic quality for those who need it would be nice.

You could make the same argument about the EQ options. I'd wager you can make the headphones sound much worse by dialing poor EQ settings than you could with a hypothetical microphone quality mode.

Assuming it is actually technically possible for Audeze to adjust the microphone quality, it seems like they have an opportunity to be the best-in-class product for consumers looking for a wireless headset with good mic quality. The wired microphone samples from the Penrose are some of the best I have heard from any gaming headset. However in wireless mode the mic quality is mediocre and beaten out by competing products.

I get that this product was targeted at the console gaming market where mic quality may not be a top priority, but with the pandemic and the shift to work-from-home I think there is now a pretty big emerging market for wireless headsets with high quality mics for use in video calls, and an audience that can easily justify the $300 asking price. If the wireless mic quality was closer to what the mic can do in wired mode, the Penrose would be a slam dunk recommendation for that market. As it is, I might be more inclined to recommend something like the Corsair Virtuoso, which seems to have better wireless mic quality in addition to being a lot cheaper.

I'm not going to claim that I know Audeze's business better than they do, but I hope it is at least something they give serious consideration to.

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #1,485 of 7,191
It's something you only hear if sound is muted. Basically any wireless set will have that to some degree. If you can't deal with that, wired is about the only solution. I'm sure the Penrose has some sound of you aren't playing audio as well.
The Penrose and the Arctis Pro Wireless are the only two wireless headsets I've tested that have the background hiss. The Arctis is from the side tone that you cannot turn off and is noticeably louder than the Penrose. I returned the Arctis because of the hiss but am keeping the Penrose.

The Penrose has MUCH higher audio quality, the Arctis Pro Wireless has fairly average "gamer" headset sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back