Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 19, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #1,204 of 7,191
Why do I hear myself through the headset speakers even when "Listen to this device" is disabled? I still hear it even if I turn off Side Tone.

Edit: Side tone setting wasn't being saved, now it's OFF and I can't hear myself.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #1,206 of 7,191
Are these issues widespread? Even I am getting slightly worried now reading these comments. We pay more in the UK for it and I do have high standards when it comes to this kind of thing. A hissing static sound?. Is this happening on all your headsets?.
It’s not happening in mine
So has anyone here have actually used them for the PS5.

If so, how do they sound?
i’ve used them on PS4 wirelessly and xbox series X via Aux and the sound quality is what you’d expect from Audeze.

Nov 19, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #1,207 of 7,191
You need to be more specific... in terms of connection and hiss issues, it's one person thus far that and Audeze just offered to have that person drop by their HQ to replace their unit.
There was a reddit post that was linked here about the hissing plus others on here saying it and the reddit post did refer to some other issues too.

Nov 19, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #1,208 of 7,191
Why do I hear myself through the headset speakers even when "Listen to this device" is disabled? I still hear it even if I turn off Side Tone.
Probably still, download the audezeHQ software and turn it off while your headset is plugged in via USB, then reset your headset.
I had to do that for sidetone to actually turn it off. Still get the hiss though.

-edited for clarity.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #1,211 of 7,191
Well, I have just encountered another devastating issue. At low source volume levels/headset volume there appears to be a strange robotic reverb/distortion that mirrors the audio. But I guess its possible I just have a faulty unit with an electronic issue that is affecting multiple aspects of the headphones. I would probably need another unit to compare.

Edit: it almost sounds like wind. I can't tell if it goes away at higher volumes or if higher volumes just mask it. The distortion goes away when the media is paused.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #1,213 of 7,191
Yeah much as I want a high quality wireless headset, if you’re telling me I can’t adjust volume levels for different apps or even the overall volume with the windows volume mixer, then I’m just going to have to cancel my preorder. That would make them unusable for their primary function for me.

Nov 19, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #1,215 of 7,191
So with the Nintendo Switch you need a USB-C Adapter and that will only work with the Penrose's standard bluetooth and NOT the 2.4Ghz technology?
Which ultimately means there's going to be a LOT more input lag?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back