Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 19, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #1,157 of 7,191
Then maybe its just their response that was worded poorly. The previous poster said discord doesnt work and they said discord wont work.

So does discord work or not? Or does it only not work under certain circumstances?

You need to read better because they said game chat mix does not work discord, which it doesn't. This feature does not exist on pc and never has. Discord will work fine... even when using it via Bluetooth and gaming on a console via 2.4 simultaneously

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #1,159 of 7,191
You need to read better because they said game chat mix does not work discord, which it doesn't. This feature does not exist on pc and never has. Discord would work fine... Even when using it via Bluetooth and gaming on a console via 2.4

I can read just fine. The implication of game/chat mix is that it handles adjusting volumes of dual inputs.

Why would I assume this?

Because thats how most other gaming headsets work. Heck, my old playstation golds for ps4 adjust game/chat volume directly on them as well.

Its not a reading problem, its a problem of something being provided for a gaming market without understanding the needs of the gaming market.

It also further doesnt make sense why a button that simply adjusts volume mixing of sources can only do such on xbox. It should be able to adjust it via any 2 sources in say 10% increments.

Nov 19, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #1,160 of 7,191
This needs corrected. Waited for months now only to find out theres no game chat mix on the dual inputs?

The website is basically blatantly misleading.

"Dual 2.4GHz | Bluetooth Connection

Penrose and Penrose X feature a high performance dual wireless connection. Players can connect to their console or desktop over lossless, low latency 2.4GHz wireless using the included USB dongle. The onboard Bluetooth 5.0 can be paired simultaneously with 2.4GHz wireless, so players can chat from their mobile device without interrupting their gameplay experience."

This says Penrose gets the feature, which is a device NOT for xbox. Even further, this is a CRUCIAL feature for almost every gamer.
Sorry, this is a misunderstanding. We edited the previous post. There are two separate features.
1. Click+ change volume wheel changes the game/chat balance on Xbox. This is done on the xbox and the Penrose sends the commands. This functionality is not available for 3rd party headsets over USB on Playstation.

2. You can simultaneously connect the Wireless and Bluetooth on Penrose and can hear both audio simultaneously. This is similar to how it works on Mobius. The balance is fixed, but we did a lot of tests to ensure this works for a wide variety of scenarios including phone calls on android/IOS and discord calls.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Nov 19, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #1,161 of 7,191
I can read just fine. The implication of game/chat mix is that it handles adjusting volumes of dual inputs.

Why would I assume this?

Because thats how most other gaming headsets work. Heck, my old playstation golds for ps4 adjust game/chat volume directly on them as well.

Its not a reading problem, its a problem of something being provided for a gaming market without understanding the needs of the gaming market.

It also further doesnt make sense why a button that simply adjusts volume mixing of sources can only do such on xbox. It should be able to adjust it via any 2 sources in say 10% increments.

It does adjust it as you say, so you really have nothing to worry about just will be via source. I assumed it worked the same as steelseries but apparently not

So to clarify, if you connect to xbox you get the chat mix feature which is only on that platform which lets you slide the volume between chat and game. Playstation does this in the settings, not by the headset

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #1,162 of 7,191
Just got mine in and played around with it for about an hour, here are my thoughts:

Pros:
  • Sounds great, especially in games with 3D audio (tested with high bitrate indie music and Forza Horizon 4 on PC)
  • Connects pretty effortlessly

Cons:
  • Highest noise floor of any headphone I own (all wireless). Just barely in the realm of acceptable, but acceptable nonetheless. You may have a different threshold.
  • The voice that tells you things in the headset (connected, AUX, etc) is really low quality and has a hiss that plays for a second or so after the message, pretty annoying.
  • Highest clamping force of any headset I own or have ever worn. It honestly strangely hurts my jaw the clamping force is so high. If this doesn't get more comfortable after a little time of wearing, I will return it for this reason.

Other than the clamping force (which I will monitor) it seems really great other than a few more minor things.

Nov 19, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #1,163 of 7,191
Sorry, this is a misunderstanding. We edited the previous post. There are two separate features.
1. Click+ change volume wheel changes the game/chat balance on Xbox. This is done on the xbox and the Penrose sends the commands. This functionality is not available for 3rd party headsets over USB.

2. You can simultaneously connect the Wireless and Bluetooth on Penrose and can hear both audio simultaneously. This is similar to how it works on Mobius. The balance is fixed, but we did a lot of tests to ensure this works for a wide variety of scenarios including phone calls on android/IOS and discord calls.

The clarity helped.

Hopefully the balance thing can be adjustable in a future software update. Not ultra critical, but would be nice for those times you play with that buddy that has his mic cranked to the moon and talks loud.

Nov 19, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #1,164 of 7,191
It does adjust it as you say, so you really have nothing to worry about just will be via source. I assumed it worked the same as steelseries but apparently not

So to clarify, if you connect to xbox you get the chat mix feature which is only on that platform which lets you slide the volume between chat and game. Playstation does this in the settings, not by the headset

Audeze replied before you saying the balance is fixed. So per them, you cannot adjust it.

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #1,165 of 7,191
1. Click+ change volume wheel changes the game/chat balance on Xbox. This is done on the xbox and the Penrose sends the commands. This functionality is not available for 3rd party headsets over USB.

When you say the balance is fixed, can the volume still be changed via source? I would have thought ui
Audeze replied before you saying the balance is fixed. So per them, you cannot adjust it.

Caught me off guard with that, I assumed it worked like steelseries does it where it's independent. That's definitely not ideal

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #1,166 of 7,191
[QUOTE="Headsetist, post: 15985764, member: 539369"
  • Highest noise floor of any headphone I own (all wireless). Just barely in the realm of acceptable, but acceptable nonetheless. You may have a different threshold.
[/QUOTE]
Noise floor is pretty low on Penrose. It is possible Sidetone is enabled.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Nov 19, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #1,167 of 7,191
It is, actually, if you're smart about it. Other headsets on the market make it work just fine by presenting two separate audio outputs to the host and mixing volume between them on the headset itself. I figured by this point this was understood to be a mandatory feature of any high end gaming headset, really feels like skimping out to see it missing in the chat mix here.

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #1,168 of 7,191
[QUOTE="Headsetist, post: 15985764, member: 539369"
Noise floor is pretty low on Penrose. It is possible Sidetone is enabled.
[/QUOTE]
I second this, you might have side tone turned up too high and that’s what you’re hearing? When connected to Bluetooth or via the usb there is little to no noise with the mic off or with sideline turned down

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #1,169 of 7,191
Caught me off guard with that, I assumed it worked like steelseries does it where it's independent. That's definitely not ideal

Agreed.

I get its their first foray into gaming stuff, but to hit it big with gamers at $300, it needs to do what gamers need. Which is why I read their website and replies as I did, from a gamer perspective.

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #1,170 of 7,191
It is, actually, if you're smart about it. Other headsets on the market make it work just fine by presenting two separate audio outputs to the host and mixing volume between them on the headset itself. I figured by this point this was understood to be a mandatory feature of any high end gaming headset, really feels like skimping out to see it missing in the chat mix here.
Yeah not having chatmix work on both PS5 + PC is a bit of deal breaker. I would have thought it would at least work on PC since my Arctis 7 does it no problem and that was $200 cheaper. Might see how it is in-hand before making a final decision but not looking good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back