Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 19, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #1,141 of 7,191
I can confirm the issue where you change the EQ in the Audeze HQ windows app and the volume gets lower no matter what frequency you adjust. My mic doesn’t just pop out randomly like theirs does. The battery indicator I’ve been using is on my phone or ipad. The iOS Audeze HQ app still isnt’ updated to work with the Penrose. As far as the noise floor I tried in windows and via bluetooth and I dont hear anything at all when nothing is playing. Maybe that person has a defective one. As far as his other concerns I can’t say anything about As I dont use discord. The Audeze HQ app on windows does have a game/chat mixer that may help. The mic slider on the headphone is for the mic volume, its not a game/chat mix button.

Edited to clarify that its the iOS app that doesn’t work with Penrose.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #1,142 of 7,191
I can confirm the issue where you change the EQ in the Audeze HQ windows app and the volume gets lower no matter what frequency you adjust. My mic doesn’t just pop out randomly like theirs does. The battery indicator I’ve been using is on my phone or ipad. The Audeze HQ app still isnt’ updated to work with the Penrose. As far as the noise floor I tried in windows and via bluetooth and I dont hear anything at all when nothing is playing. Maybe that person has a defective one. As far as his other concerns I can’t say anything about As I dont use discord. The Audeze HQ app on windows does have a game/chat mixer that may help. The mic slider on the headphone is for the mic volume, its not a game/chat mix button.

thanks for chiming in on this. Sounds like a faulty mic port might be causing feedback /noise floor problems.

Nov 19, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #1,143 of 7,191
Noise floor on Penrose is measurably lower than Mobius significantly.
It might be a faulty mic port on a unit or something else causing an issue. We dont see it in our units here in the lab.
Audeze HQ app EQ - Most likely an App issue. Will check this.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Nov 19, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #1,145 of 7,191
Playing on Windows should be held to the same standard as the consoles. It is marketed as such. If not, they need to put on the box that it works well with the PS5 and Xbox, but is missing lots of features on Windows.

I'm extremely conflicted. I'm going to wait on a few more reviews before I decide if I'm going to keep my pre-order.

This is exactly why I don't usually buy products that are advertised via word of mouth. They never live up to expectations. The headphones that are getting the most buzz are getting that popular because they work well. Barely anybody even knows anything about this company and all I hear is they make "high-end audiophile headphones" like that's supposed to mean something to anybody in the gaming world.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #1,146 of 7,191
Keep in mind he was using this on windows, but headset designed for ps/xbox. I'd like to see a review on these consoles exclusively

I want to see reviews that show how they work on everything they're advertised to work on; Switch, phones and tablets via Bluetooth, Windows PCs, and the specific consoles (PS4/5, Xbox Series).

Nov 19, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #1,147 of 7,191
I can confirm the issue where you change the EQ in the Audeze HQ windows app and the volume gets lower no matter what frequency you adjust. My mic doesn’t just pop out randomly like theirs does. The battery indicator I’ve been using is on my phone or ipad. The iOS Audeze HQ app still isnt’ updated to work with the Penrose. As far as the noise floor I tried in windows and via bluetooth and I dont hear anything at all when nothing is playing. Maybe that person has a defective one. As far as his other concerns I can’t say anything about As I dont use discord. The Audeze HQ app on windows does have a game/chat mixer that may help. The mic slider on the headphone is for the mic volume, its not a game/chat mix button.

Edited to clarify that its the iOS app that doesn’t work with Penrose.

Thank you for the feedback. I would like to clarify a few things
  1. We will not have an iOS App for Penrose, as Apple treats even BT as MFI accessory and will not allow an App unless a LAM chip is included. Inclusion of LAM would have driven up the cost and time. Given it can be controlled via Android, PC an d Mac, we decided to forgo iOS. (MAC and Android App are in the works).
  2. The Game Chat mix (Balance control) is intended for Xbox console only and you can change the balance between game and chat audio. On Discord, the game chat mix is fixed, Penrose cannot be used to adjust the balance.
  3. We designed Penrose to have a very very low noise floor right from scratch, it has a noticeably and measurably less noise floor.
EQ needs more explanation:

The reduced volume level at boost frequency gains is a feature not a bug. AGC (Automatic Gain Control) kicks in if the cumulative effect of all the sliders results in a gain going up by more than 3dB. This is necessary to prevent clipping and distortion. We allow boosts up to +12dB, so it is very tempting to push the slider all the way up but this will result in clipping even on tracks that do not have a whole lot of bass. There will seldom be a need to push the gain beyond 3dB as Penrose is tuned to be very close to neutral, but if the need ever arises and the the gain drops, the volume on Penrose can be increased to compensate for that.

That said, an increase of 1dB will certainly in most cases not cause any audible drop in volume level. To provide better feedback, we will add a AGC indicator on the App to let you know AGC kicked in.

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #1,148 of 7,191
@KMann

Oh great. No iOS app now also - that’s a real shame. Had the Audeze app installed for weeks waiting for the update as the thought of on the fly adjustments was of interest here. Don’t have an Android device :frowning2:

Was the iOS decision quite last minute or was that ruled out behind the scenes early on?

Nov 19, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #1,149 of 7,191
@KMann
Was the iOS decision quite last minute or was that ruled out behind the scenes early on?

No IOS app support since Apple requires special chipset to be able to do this. This was decided pretty early on and we have posted about this in the past as well.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Nov 19, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #1,151 of 7,191
No IOS app support since Apple requires special chipset to be able to do this. This was decided pretty early on and we have posted about this in the past as well.

Ah ok - I must have missed that - guess that's one app I can remove from my phone now! Will await the Mac app - not as convenient as a phone app but then I guess in reality, there shouldn't be the need to be accessing the app that frequently.

Nov 19, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #1,152 of 7,191
No iOS support is sad news. If I change the EQ profile via Windows, will it save to the headset so that it'll still be in effect when streaming from my iPhone? Thanks
Yes. It saves the settings in the headset. So it will move with the headset. To confirm, the app only adjusts the settings. Connecting to bluetooth and streaming over BT should be no different

Nov 19, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #1,153 of 7,191
  1. The Game Chat mix is intended for Xbox console only. It will not work on Discord.

This needs corrected. Waited for months now only to find out theres no game chat mix on the dual inputs?

The website is basically blatantly misleading.

"Dual 2.4GHz | Bluetooth Connection

Penrose and Penrose X feature a high performance dual wireless connection. Players can connect to their console or desktop over lossless, low latency 2.4GHz wireless using the included USB dongle. The onboard Bluetooth 5.0 can be paired simultaneously with 2.4GHz wireless, so players can chat from their mobile device without interrupting their gameplay experience."

This says Penrose gets the feature, which is a device NOT for xbox. Even further, this is a CRUCIAL feature for almost every gamer.

Nov 19, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #1,155 of 7,191
Thank you for the feedback. I would like to clarify a few things
  1. We will not have an iOS App for Penrose, as Apple treats even BT as MFI accessory and will not allow an App unless a LAM chip is included. Inclusion of LAM would have driven up the cost and time. Given it can be controlled via Android, PC an d Mac, we decided to forgo iOS. (MAC and Android App are in the works).
  2. The Game Chat mix (Balance control) is intended for Xbox console only and you can change the balance between game and chat audio. On Discord, the game chat mix is fixed, Penrose cannot be used to adjust the balance.
  3. We designed Penrose to have a very very low noise floor right from scratch, it has a noticeably and measurably less noise floor.
EQ needs more explanation:

The reduced volume level at boost frequency gains is a feature not a bug. AGC (Automatic Gain Control) kicks in if the cumulative effect of all the sliders results in a gain going up by more than 3dB. This is necessary to prevent clipping and distortion. We allow boosts up to +12dB, so it is very tempting to push the slider all the way up but this will result in clipping even on tracks that do not have a whole lot of bass. There will seldom be a need to push the gain beyond 3dB as Penrose is tuned to be very close to neutral, but if the need ever arises and the the gain drops, the volume on Penrose can be increased to compensate for that.

That said, an increase of 1dB will certainly not cause any audible drop in volume level. To provide better feedback, we will add a AGC indicator on the App to let you know AGC kicked in.

Edited for clarity
So is it +3 on each individual frequency or all ten combined?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back