Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 18, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #1,113 of 7,191
Yes. They are good for movies/music and even video conference calls etc.
My use case is Zoom calls for work - Möbius worked in a pinch wired but I want wireless freedom but Bluetooth degrades sound quality too much when using Mobius as a headset so I sold my Mobis and I’m stoked for the better wireless in the Penrose that arrive this Thursday! 🙌🏽

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #1,114 of 7,191
Yes, they're just as good for movies/music/general use as they are for games. You can just pop out the mic and they're regular headphones.

To put latency in perspective, 2X a wired headset is indistinguishable from wired sound.
-Bluetooth headphones will be 100-300ms (noticeable even in movies).
-Wired speakers will be ~7ms + 0.9ms/ft for the speed of sound. Across a 10ft room, the sound will take 16ms to reach your ears.

Thanks for the info! I'm just really sensitive to input lag. The question is, will the Penrose be able to match or beat the DT770's in terms of overall audio.

Nov 18, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #1,115 of 7,191
I have a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT770(250ohm) cans that i use with a Sony Receiver to get Lossless LPCM sound for both movies and gaming, but I'm absolutely sick and tired of the wire getting in the way. I use an extension cable with it, which makes it about 12 feet. I love my beyers, especially after tinkering with the treble and bass on my amplifier but i'd love to go wireless at this point. That is, if i'm not sacrificing sound quality, latency etc.

Do you guys honestly think the Penrose's will be able to match the DT770's(while using a receiver) or surpass them, and what about latency? I hear wired cans have a latency of 7ms, yet blue tooth '2.4Ghz' has up to 16ms....but i need to know the exact numbers. and will the Penrose work with the Nintendo Switch?

thanks!
Thanks for the info! I'm just really sensitive to input lag. The question is, will the Penrose be able to match or beat the DT770's in terms of overall audio.
i prefer my Penrose to my dt 770 80ohm

Nov 18, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #1,116 of 7,191
My Penrose shipped today, arriving tomorrow. Is it recommended to use Audeze HQ windows software? If there isn't much benefit I don't want to deal with the additional Windows bloat.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #1,119 of 7,191
All my audio is through my Khadas tone board and JDS Labs atom amp. its not the same but I’m sure my set up is pretty optimal.
Sorry for all of the question. and this is probably a stupid question, but would the Penrose offer lossless audio quality just like the Beyers? or would it be compressed reminiscent of an optical connection?

I wonder if the Penrose will also work on nintendo switch, along with the Oculus Quest 2 and PSVR?

Nov 18, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #1,120 of 7,191
Sorry for all of the question. and this is probably a stupid question, but would the Penrose offer lossless audio quality just like the Beyers? or would it be compressed reminiscent of an optical connection?

I wonder if the Penrose will also work on nintendo switch, along with the Oculus Quest 2 and PSVR?

While i'm looking forward to getting my Penrose and i'm sure the Penrose will be some of the best wireless headphones around for audio quality, based on all previous experience with different wireless headphones and how focussed you seem to be on audio quality, i wouldn't be ordering a pair if i were you without some serious reviews from people who's opinion you know and trust, and ideally trying them first.

Nov 18, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #1,121 of 7,191

When you use the wireless dongle, the audio is lossless. Yes, it will work with the switch. Quest2 - You want to use it with the analog connection ?

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Nov 18, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #1,122 of 7,191
While i'm looking forward to getting my Penrose and i'm sure the Penrose will be some of the best wireless headphones around for audio quality, based on all previous experience with different wireless headphones and how focussed you seem to be on audio quality, i wouldn't be ordering a pair if i were you without some serious reviews from people who's opinion you know and trust, and ideally trying them first.

I hear you, i'm definitely going to hold out for reviews, ahem that aren't sponsored. :p
But holding out is what's driving me nutty. i was so close on buying a new Sony Receiver for my Beyer DT770's, solely to use it for audio with it's eArc HDMI Port, and sending that HDMI directly to my LG C9 OLED TV's eArc port to get lossless HDMI audio without having to send a video singal straight to the receiver. I'll just fall back on that set up if the Penrose's dont live up, or maybe a different audio phile grade 2.4ghz wireless set of cans. i dont know, it's getting frustrating having to ask so many questions and learning about the possible compromises.

Nov 18, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #1,123 of 7,191
I hear you, i'm definitely going to hold out for reviews, ahem that aren't sponsored. :p
But holding out is what's driving me nutty. i was so close on buying a new Sony Receiver for my Beyer DT770's, solely to use it for audio with it's eArc HDMI Port, and sending that HDMI directly to my LG C9 OLED TV's eArc port to get lossless HDMI audio without having to send a video singal straight to the receiver. I'll just fall back on that set up if the Penrose's dont live up, or maybe a different audio phile grade 2.4ghz wireless set of cans. i dont know, it's getting frustrating having to ask so many questions and learning about the possible compromises.
If I were you I would just get the Penrose. It doesn’t make sense to buy a whole new receiver just for the Beyers. The Penrose sounds similar to the Mobius. Look up reviews for that for sound quality. The Penrose are most def in a different class than the 770’s.

I gotta tell you, as someone who has thousands of dollars in sound equipment I’m happy with the Penrose and I’m considering getting the Penrose X. I also have the Mobius but I guess those will now be retired.

I’ve bought the dumbest things based off of reviews like the Audio gd nfb-11 which my jds labs is superior to.

Nov 18, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #1,124 of 7,191
Are you using your DT770's with a receiver through HDMI to get lossless Audio? If so, what exactly makes the penrose's sound better?

1.PNG

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#689/3992/440

This is a FR graph comparison between the Mobius (Penrose sounds very similar) and Beyer DT770 Pro. In the treble range (high pitched noises), the DT770 is more pronounced overall with a the Mobius being more pronounced in the lower half of the low-treble range but a roll-off at the high-treble range. The mids (dialogue / vocals, instruments, on-screen effects) are mostly a wash with the Mobius being a bit more pronounced. In the mid to upper bass range (deeper vocals, booms), it is again mostly a wash with the Mobius having quite a bit more pronounced upper bass range. At the low bass range (rumbles), they are again mostly a wash with the DT770 starting out a bit more pronounced, but falling off at the 30Hz range. What this translates to on paper is the Mobius being a bit more pronounced in most "game sounds" (talking, bullets, explosions, footsteps) with the rolled off upper treble staving off (in theory) ear fatigue a bit more.

Keep in mind, pronounced doesn't mean better, just means more of. The DT770 is more neutral in comparison and built like a truck. The pads felt much better than the Mobius pad and you have the ability to swap DACs and amps.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #1,125 of 7,191
How would I be able to set this up so that I can use the headset for both my PC + PS5 at the same time?

Can I leave the dongle that's included with the Penrose in my PS5 and then put something like this on my PC?

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Bluetooth-Receiver-Controllers-UB400/dp/B07V1SZCY6/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1M9Y1GGAIQW2P&dchild=1&keywords=bluetooth+pc+adapter&qid=1605756193&sprefix=bluetooth+pc,aps,146&sr=8-3

Would that work out okay? It's primarily so that I can use Discord to talk to my friends while playing the PS5 at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back