Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 12, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #916 of 7,191
Also I believe like @ridl3y said Penrose X WILL work with PS5. The reason to believe so is simple. Any normal pc compatible usb headset also works with PS4, Sony does not put any special chip to verify it's a "PS" headset. Going by that logic, most PC compatible headsets - which the Penrose X is - should also just work with PS5? I guess a better way to look at it is PS5 will work with pretty much any headset whereas the Xbox needs specifically certified ones.

Got confirmation again now. Penrose X can work with PS5 but only through 3.5mm connection on the controller itself. The 2.4Ghz dongle wont work on the PS5 or PS4. Thats what the Penrose supports and not X. So there is a clear difference between the devices.

Nov 12, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #917 of 7,191
Got confirmation again now. Penrose X can work with PS5 but only through 3.5mm connection on the controller itself. The 2.4Ghz dongle wont work on the PS5 or PS4. Thats what the Penrose supports and not X. So there is a clear difference between the devices.
There have been multiple people here and on Reddit, including myself, who have confirmed wireless functionality on PS5 with the Penrose X. And when you look at the tech, it makes perfect sense.

Nov 12, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #922 of 7,191
Confirmed it with Audeze. I literally have email correspondence with the rep confirming it.

I have confirmed it as well with Audeze. I guess we wont know until someone actually tries it. Here is my email correspondence
1605210132065.png

Nov 12, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #924 of 7,191
So who is correct? Jimmy or Andrew at Audeze? :p

Nov 12, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #925 of 7,191
Andrew was the guy that I originally contacted that told me that it wasn't possible to use the X on the PS5.

I then got a hold of Chris (a manager) via the phone later that day and he said the same thing as your email. The Penrose X will work with the PS5 via dongle.

Case closed

Nov 12, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #926 of 7,191
Andrew was the guy that I originally contacted that told me that it wasn't possible to use the X on the PS5.

I then got a hold of Chris (a manager) via the phone later that day and he said the same thing as your email. The Penrose X will work with the PS5 via dongle.

Case closed
Strange because the same guy told me that I would need to get the ps5 dongle for that to work and they only work on ps5 through the 3.5mm Jack. Look guys it's all well and good sitting here saying he said this and they said that. But until we have official word from them directly to us all then is it really worth the risk?.

Nov 12, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #927 of 7,191
Strange because the same guy told me that I would need to get the ps5 dongle for that to work and they only work on ps5 through the 3.5mm Jack. Look guys it's all well and good sitting here saying he said this and they said that. But until we have official word from them directly to us all then is it really worth the risk?.
It's better to risk it and get the x version. You could always return it or exchange it for the normal Penrose. If you keep the normal Penrose now, it might be past the exchange date by the time you get the X.

Nov 12, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #928 of 7,191
It's the same guy who originally told me they wouldn't work too. Things can change. Maybe they got the go ahead to pass the info along.

Well it's extremely unlikely that even if the Penrose X *does* work with the PS5, that they'll make an official announcement about it. And if I wait for the full release, the risk is $100 over my two headsets since I won't get the preorder pricing.

Besides, the only way it wouldn't work with PS5 if it already works with PC and Switch, is if they somehow put a specific block just for Playstation consoles.

Nov 12, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #929 of 7,191
For what it's worth I also reached out to Audeze and got Jimmy. His response was verbatim that of @Avean. His original email said it wasn't compatible, then followed it up by saying that it will work via the controller, but not via the dongle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back