Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Oct 14, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #482 of 7,191
You can make some yourself if you're willing to spend 30 bucks. Then you can buy the replacement ear cups for the mobius which AFAIK should fit on the Penrose and the HyperX Orbit as well (I think). If you do that only the little logo will still be blue/green).

But I get where you're coming from.
Do you have a link of where we could purchase replacement ear cups for the Mobius? Also, is it confirmed that Mobius ear cups will fit the Penrose?

Oct 14, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #483 of 7,191
I sent an email to Audeze and got sent the following, very exciting:

We've received the results from the first round of Microsoft certification testing! The good news is they've only asked us to make a few minor tweaks which can be implemented through firmware updates and no more changes are required to the hardware. Unfortunately, this does mean that it will take a little while longer for this process to be complete, but we're one step closer to getting those units in your hands!

We expect the non-Microsoft certifications to be completed a bit sooner, and will be prioritizing manufacturing and shipping based on that. We're looking into the fastest shipping options available to us, including factory direct, and will use whichever service is most viable for speedy delivery to get those headphones delivered as soon as possible.

Another tidbit of information to share about the Penrose: we can finally announce that the Penrose microphone was designed in consultation with Shure, one of the world's most respected microphone brands! Shure's input was instrumental in helping us create a new standard of voice quality for the Penrose microphone, and we can't wait for you to experience it!

Oct 14, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #484 of 7,191
I sent an email to Audeze and got sent the following, very exciting:

We've received the results from the first round of Microsoft certification testing! The good news is they've only asked us to make a few minor tweaks which can be implemented through firmware updates and no more changes are required to the hardware. Unfortunately, this does mean that it will take a little while longer for this process to be complete, but we're one step closer to getting those units in your hands!

We expect the non-Microsoft certifications to be completed a bit sooner, and will be prioritizing manufacturing and shipping based on that. We're looking into the fastest shipping options available to us, including factory direct, and will use whichever service is most viable for speedy delivery to get those headphones delivered as soon as possible.

Another tidbit of information to share about the Penrose: we can finally announce that the Penrose microphone was designed in consultation with Shure, one of the world's most respected microphone brands! Shure's input was instrumental in helping us create a new standard of voice quality for the Penrose microphone, and we can't wait for you to experience it!

Well that's good news, thanks for the update!

At this stage I'm just hopeful that we get Penrose in hand to align with the launch of the PS5/XSX - given that we're now only 4/5 weeks out, it could be tight, depending on the manufacturing process etc.

Oct 14, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #488 of 7,191
Nice find! There's also a wireless sample in the playlist at

Listen to Penrose Wireless Sample by Audeze on #SoundCloud

Hmm, so using the wireless microphone is clearly much more compressed than when using AUX in those samples. Does the 2.4 GHz wireless not have enough bandwidth to do lossless transmission of the microphone as well?

Given that wireless is supposed to be better than AUX for headphone audio quality it seems like we will have to pick whether to optimize headphone or mic quality.

I wonder if there is a way to do microphone over AUX but do the headphone audio over wireless to get the best of both.

Oct 14, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #490 of 7,191
Definitely sounds better wired but wireless is still pretty darn good. They will do just fine for my purposes, definitely better than the Mobius mic.

Oct 14, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #492 of 7,191

Interesting... i had for some reason assumed that hardware would have long since been finalised, and manufacturing been underway prior to the certification submission (which was merely a formality to allow them to sell the headphones with the respective products logos on them). This makes it sound more like manufacturing won't actually begin until the certification has been confirmed, which could mean a fairly decent wait still, particularly for those of us in other countries with preorders from Dealers?

Oct 14, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #493 of 7,191
Mic is honestly disappointing. Why can't modmic wireless quality be acheived with headsets?
Because wireless technology is limited by bitrates, and headsets are splitting the limited bandwidth between the headphone audio and the microphone. 2.4ghz is better than Bluetooth, but it still has limits. I personally would prefer Audeze to prioritize the headphone quality over the mic quality. That said, this mic sounds better than just anything I’ve heard on the wireless headset market. Besides, if you really need a good mic you shouldn’t be looking at wireless anyways.

Also re:mod mic wireless, it specifically uses aptx-LL Bluetooth chips that requires expensive licensing. Those licenses would be cost prohibitive for a headset like this to hit the target price point. I suspect those costs are also why the MMW build quality is so awful; they had to cut costs somewhere to make it a profitable device.

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #494 of 7,191
Because wireless technology is limited by bitrates, and headsets are splitting the limited bandwidth between the headphone audio and the microphone. 2.4ghz is better than Bluetooth, but it still has limits. I personally would prefer Audeze to prioritize the headphone quality over the mic quality. That said, this mic sounds better than just anything I’ve heard on the wireless headset market. Besides, if you really need a good mic you shouldn’t be looking at wireless anyways.

Also re:mod mic wireless, it specifically uses aptx-LL Bluetooth chips that requires expensive licensing. Those licenses would be cost prohibitive for a headset like this to hit the target price point. I suspect those costs are also why the MMW build quality is so awful; they had to cut costs somewhere to make it a profitable device.

Wouldn't the MMW be a poor choice for gaming, given the latency of BlueTooth, even AptX-LowLatency? Wireless mice and headsets over 2.4ghz have only recently improved so that latency is difficult/impossible to notice. I just didn't think Bluetooth, even the aptX-LL variant, was being taken seriously for gaming.

Good explanation why the modmic wireless can sound so much better than a headset mic, by the way. It doesn't have to share its lane (bandwidth). :thumbsup:

Oct 15, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #495 of 7,191
Wouldn't the MMW be a poor choice for gaming, given the latency of BlueTooth, even AptX-LowLatency? Wireless mice and headsets over 2.4ghz have only recently improved so that latency is difficult/impossible to notice. I just didn't think Bluetooth, even the aptX-LL variant, was being taken seriously for gaming.

Good explanation why the modmic wireless can sound so much better than a headset mic, by the way. It doesn't have to share its lane (bandwidth). :thumbsup:
Funny enough, Logitech’s wireless tech is actually faster than wired in some cases.

To answer your question about the MMW...no. It’s audio, not visual. It’s much more noticeable that your mouse isn’t responsive while playing at high frame rates than it is that your voice is coming out on a <40ms delay.

I’ve personally experimented with aptx-ll for gaming using a FiiO BTR3 to make my headphones wireless and the delay was largely imperceptible in most situations. For a microphone? It’s absolutely not a big deal. Your teammates aren’t processing whatever intel you are trying to share in those lost <40ms anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back