Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Sep 17, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #346 of 7,191
Unfortunately no. Typically certification takes 3 to 4 weeks. But many of the labs are delayed and we dont have exact dates yet. We are waiting for a few main clearances. Will try to get them shipped as soon as possible. We are using the delay to enhance some of the features and we will post more information shortly

That's unfortunate that you are running into these hurdles, but thank you for the updates! Looking forward to getting my hands on a Penrose in Canada this (year?). :)

Sep 17, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #347 of 7,191
I have been following this thread reading all the information on the Penrose and X version. As I am a PC gamer, having a pure wireless headset sound intriguing. I have the Mobius and also the MMX 300 2nd version with the felt pads. I am using the G6 for the MMX. I have compared the Mobius and the MMX and they sound similar actually. The G6 does what it says and and the MMX 300 with the felt pads completely blocks out outside noise. The Mobius, even with the gel pads still lets in outside noise, but obviously in-game you don't hear much other than the game. What I wondering is if the EQ on the Penrose will allow you to duplicate similar sounds as the Mobius and G6. I know 3D will not be available. I think Mad, Lust Envy mentioned he used the G6 for gaming, but the Penrose will be a truly wireless headset for gaming, either on the PC or console. Audeze does produce quality products and puts a lot of thought into what they design. Maybe they should think about offering cloth/felt pads as an option.

Sep 17, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #348 of 7,191
I have been following this thread reading all the information on the Penrose and X version. As I am a PC gamer, having a pure wireless headset sound intriguing. I have the Mobius and also the MMX 300 2nd version with the felt pads. I am using the G6 for the MMX. I have compared the Mobius and the MMX and they sound similar actually. The G6 does what it says and and the MMX 300 with the felt pads completely blocks out outside noise. The Mobius, even with the gel pads still lets in outside noise, but obviously in-game you don't hear much other than the game. What I wondering is if the EQ on the Penrose will allow you to duplicate similar sounds as the Mobius and G6. I know 3D will not be available. I think Mad, Lust Envy mentioned he used the G6 for gaming, but the Penrose will be a truly wireless headset for gaming, either on the PC or console. Audeze does produce quality products and puts a lot of thought into what they design. Maybe they should think about offering cloth/felt pads as an option.

Any 3d driver on a pc can be used with the headset (windows sonic, dts, dolby), it just does not perform its own 3d dsp. This extends battery, decreases price, and adds a ton of flexibility as new windows drivers are released.

Sep 18, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #349 of 7,191
...The G6 does what it says and and the MMX 300 with the felt pads completely blocks out outside noise. The Mobius, even with the gel pads still lets in outside noise, but obviously in-game you don't hear much other than the game...Maybe they should think about offering cloth/felt pads as an option.

What are you hoping to accomplish with felt cloth? My understanding of your primary feedback from your post is sound leakage, which felt ear pads will not address at all. In fact, it would make sound leakage worse as felt / velour is a more breathable / porous material compared to leather or pleather.

Sep 18, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #350 of 7,191
What are you hoping to accomplish with felt cloth? My understanding of your primary feedback from your post is sound leakage, which felt ear pads will not address at all. In fact, it would make sound leakage worse as felt / velour is a more breathable / porous material compared to leather or pleather.
Ok, I guess I used the incorrect term. They must be velour and not felt. Sorry about that. But they do not have any leakage what so ever. So, If Audeze offered these you would not have an issue. Also, they are very comfortable.

Sep 18, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #351 of 7,191
Ok, I guess I used the incorrect term. They must be velour and not felt. Sorry about that. But they do not have any leakage what so ever. So, If Audeze offered these you would not have an issue. Also, they are very comfortable.

That is the part that you do not seem to be understanding. Fabric type ear pads DO NOT help with sound isolation. In fact, they do the opposite. It is a more breathable material, meaning sound passes through it MUCH easier. That is also the reason people sometimes choose fabric type ear pads over leather or pleather, because they are more comfortable to wear during longer listening sessions. The sound leakage comes from a difference in design NOT the fact that one has velour pads and the other completely differently designed headset doesn't.

Sep 18, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #352 of 7,191
That is the part that you do not seem to be understanding. Fabric type ear pads DO NOT help with sound isolation. In fact, they do the opposite. It is a more breathable material, meaning sound passes through it MUCH easier. That is also the reason people sometimes choose fabric type ear pads over leather or pleather, because they are more comfortable to wear during longer listening sessions. The sound leakage comes from a difference in design NOT the fact that one has velour pads and the other completely differently designed headset doesn't.
Well, when I switched to a fabric type ear pads on the 300 MMX I went to zero leakage and more comfort. So, I don't know what to tell you. It just worked out that way. Obviously open to others thoughts and opinions. But the sound was better and the isolation was total. With the Mobius, when no sound is active through the drivers, I can hear noise around me and that is with the gel pads. They are, however, more comfortable than the original. As I stated before, when in game or listening to music you don't hear noise about you anyway. They are not like an open back. My main point on this was the quality of sound coming from the Mobius and 300MMX using the G6. The G6 has very good sound. Obviously neither the Mobius or the MMX are wireless. Just hoping the Penrose, with the EQ and improvements in Windows and gaming sound will do justice to the headset. Having a quality wireless headset eliminates the cords hanging down and getting in the way.

Sep 18, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #353 of 7,191
Well, when I switched to a fabric type ear pads on the 300 MMX I went to zero leakage and more comfort. So, I don't know what to tell you. It just worked out that way. Obviously open to others thoughts and opinions. But the sound was better and the isolation was total. With the Mobius, when no sound is active through the drivers, I can hear noise around me and that is with the gel pads. They are, however, more comfortable than the original. As I stated before, when in game or listening to music you don't hear noise about you anyway. They are not like an open back. My main point on this was the quality of sound coming from the Mobius and 300MMX using the G6. The G6 has very good sound. Obviously neither the Mobius or the MMX are wireless. Just hoping the Penrose, with the EQ and improvements in Windows and gaming sound will do justice to the headset. Having a quality wireless headset eliminates the cords hanging down and getting in the way.

If switching to fabric type ear pads increased sound isolation, that means one of the following:
  • The original pads were either defective or not correctly installed (there was a gap somewhere)
  • The fabric type ear pads were constructed differently (different foam was used perhaps)
  • The volume of ambient sound was different between when you wore the leather ones and velour ones
  • Differences in the amount of blockage (earwax) between your ears and ambient noise
This isn't a thought or opinion by the way, but rather hard science (biology in fact). Fabric is weaved together while leather (basically skin) is formed by cells attached each other as they grew outwards. Ever wonder why you feel hotter and sweatier on a hot summer day when sitting on leather seats vs fabric seats? It's because fabric is much more porous and therefore breathable than leather is. Leather on the other hand, is tougher and will last longer. Sound is simply vibrations that our ears receive and then our brains translate. That's why they go through more porous material like fabric much easier than leather.

Overall sound signature should be very similar to how the Mobius sounds outside of any extra alteration caused by the DAC inside the G6 due to them using the same drivers.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #354 of 7,191
As someone who is interested in purchasing a Penrose to use with both PS5 and Xbox series X I was wondering if there is any new information regarding compatibility if an additional dongle is not able to be sold in the future?

From my understanding it's only the dongle that is different between the two versions as the one included with the Penrose X includes the chip that allows it to be used with Xbox. Does the PS5 dongle include a similar chip? if it does not, would the Penrose X be completely incompatible with the PS5 or would it still perform in a reduced capacity?

Sep 21, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #355 of 7,191
As someone who is interested in purchasing a Penrose to use with both PS5 and Xbox series X I was wondering if there is any new information regarding compatibility if an additional dongle is not able to be sold in the future?

From my understanding it's only the dongle that is different between the two versions as the one included with the Penrose X includes the chip that allows it to be used with Xbox. Does the PS5 dongle include a similar chip? if it does not, would the Penrose X be completely incompatible with the PS5 or would it still perform in a reduced capacity?

As I understand it, the only way the Penrose X is compatible with PS5 is via 3.5mm wired - until Audeze releases the alternative dongle for pairing.

Sep 21, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #357 of 7,191
@Audeze Scan uk hope to start shipping next week with the information they've got from the supplier. Can you forsee any issues?
Yes. We are the supplier and we haven't shipped any units to anyone. we are still waiting for certification.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 22, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #359 of 7,191
I managed to preorder the Xbox Series X today so I guess I am joining the Penrose X team. Now I understand the dongle is not compatible with Mac, but I can still use Bluetooth with it right?

Sep 26, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #360 of 7,191
I managed to preorder the Xbox Series X today so I guess I am joining the Penrose X team. Now I understand the dongle is not compatible with Mac, but I can still use Bluetooth with it right?

That's correct. Bluetooth will work. That being said, Audeze has also mentioned releasing the dongles separately so that you can use one headset with all the platforms. I'm also a Mac user but want to use the Penrose X for gaming on PC and Xbox. So I'll likely pick up the other dongle once it's available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back