Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jul 19, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #166 of 7,191
Any and every virtual surround sound device all end up outputting on stereo. "REAL" surround headphones are exceedingly rare, and considerably worse than any decent headphone. Why? Because real surround headphones jam many small inferior drivers into each cup, instead of two very good drivers.

Dolby Headphone, Sennheiser GSX, Creative SBX, the Mobius headtracking htrf, Windows Sonic, Dolby Atmos, etc, ALL are virtual surround that output to STEREO headphones. Those technologies are all what convert the 5.1/7.1 signal into a surround mixed into 2 channels.

The new Xbox and PS5 have similar tech built into the systems themselves, so there is no longer a need for external devices, unless you just want a different flavor of virtual surround. This is why the Penrose doesn't need to include such tech. The systems already have it.

My headphone guide revolved around the use of virtual surround for headphones.
Definitely. Personally, I sometimes prefer using things like Dolby, or DTS, etc. but the Mobius's 3D audio just blew me away for some reason. I just love it. I even listen to music 575% of the time with it on. I'm wondering why I like the Mobius's implementation so much more than any other implementation?

Jul 19, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #167 of 7,191
KMann, I have a question:

What approx. will the Penrose broadcast quality mic cost separately? A Mobius mic, which is unavailable atm and which I will not purchase because it's not that good, is listed on Audeze site for $99.

If the Penrose mic for Mobius is going to be around $99, I'll just pre-order the Penrose headset for $249 and maybe get another mic later on down the road. I'll just swap the mic between my Mobius and Penrose headsets as needed.

Love your planar magnetic headsets for the masses and please give me some guidance so I can pull the trigger on the Penrose!!!!
Well the Mobius mic normally sells for $15 USD. Now, I think Audeze stated that they do not make money off the replacement kit for the Mobius (so the cable replacement, mic, and standard earpads) - this may change for the Penrose, but I can't imagine them going for more than, say, $30 USD.

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #169 of 7,191
KMann, as I'm primarily a PC user/gamer who may get a PS5 at some point do you know if there are any disadvantages of using the non-X with a PC?
My recommendation is choose first based on your console (Xbox or PS5) needs as the consoles are what require licensing to talk with USB devices. On rest of the platforms it should appear as a regular USB sound device*

* Subject to the vagaries of OS.

Jul 20, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #171 of 7,191
hifiheadphones.co.uk just offered me 5% discount as an apology for their website issues over the weekend (I had the item in my cart but was unable to checkout).

Non-X ordered - can't wait to try them.

Jul 21, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #175 of 7,191
Quick question, how long is the range of the 2.4ghz wireless? Bluetooth? I currently have Mobius. Thanks

Also if I put the dongle on a usb splitter, where it switches between connecting it to the Xbox or PC when a button is pressed, what is the process to get the audio working on each change, is there a pairing process every time? a button to hold etc? Or will it just connect when powered up (optimal) when the button on the switch attaches it to whichever device

When the dongle is plugged into PC and using 2.4ghz with the mic, what is the sound quality of the mic compared to something like a mod mic wireless? The mod mic wireless uses the full Bluetooth bandwidth just for the mic and is very clear, I need a very clear wireless mic.

I guess it wasn't a quickie! Thank you!

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #177 of 7,191
hello! New to the forum. I found this forum online while searching for information on the penrose. Im probably safe to assume that everything i need to know is covered here. So i made my purchase. Has anyone had any updates regarding their pre order? Mines has went from shipping on the 25th of August to now shipping 28th of September. Just curious. Purchased from scan UK.

Jul 21, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #178 of 7,191
Quick question, how long is the range of the 2.4ghz wireless? Bluetooth? I currently have Mobius. Thanks
BT (~10m), 2.5GHz (~32m line of sight under ideal conditions, ~15m otherwise)
Also if I put the dongle on a usb splitter, where it switches between connecting it to the Xbox or PC when a button is pressed, what is the process to get the audio working on each change, is there a pairing process every time? a button to hold etc? Or will it just connect when powered up (optimal) when the button on the switch attaches it to whichever device
Regarding pairing, Penrose comes paired to the dongle in factory. So there is no paring required, you just cycle between wireless, BT and Aux. When in wireless mode, it is already paired and ready to go.
However we have not tested it with a USB switch. We generally discourage the use of hubs and switches especially to control or do FW updates. Also, the dongle may not be visible as a Xbox certified when there is a switch in the middle and it could also depend on the switch.

When the dongle is plugged into PC and using 2.4ghz with the mic, what is the sound quality of the mic compared to something like a mod mic wireless? The mod mic wireless uses the full Bluetooth bandwidth just for the mic and is very clear, I need a very clear wireless mic.
I cannot provide comparisons to other devices other than saying the Mic is of broadcast quality. I will leave comparisons to the many experienced head-fi members.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #179 of 7,191
hello! New to the forum. I found this forum online while searching for information on the penrose. Im probably safe to assume that everything i need to know is covered here. So i made my purchase. Has anyone had any updates regarding their pre order? Mines has went from shipping on the 25th of August to now shipping 28th of September. Just curious. Purchased from scan UK.
They were always slated to ship in Sep, as far as I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back