Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jul 17, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #136 of 7,191
Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #138 of 7,191
Jul 18, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #139 of 7,191
Some great info in this thread.

I've seen the statements about using with anything Microsoft related go with the X. I'm primarily a PC user/gamer however I may end up get a PS5.

What are the disadvantages of using the non-X with a PC?

Also it seems hifiheadphones have an issue as I'm UK based and I'm not able to order to any UK address.

Jul 18, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #140 of 7,191
Some great info in this thread.

I've seen the statements about using with anything Microsoft related go with the X. I'm primarily a PC user/gamer however I may end up get a PS5.
I'm in the same camp as you, primary a PC gamer that's looking to get the PS5.

For my understanding the PS5 model will work just fine with a Windows 10 pc. But you want be able to take advantage of the specific formats that PS5 won't use.

"Will Penrose and Penrose X support Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, or Windows Sonic for 3D audio rendering?
Penrose X will support these formats on Xbox Series X and Windows; detailed instructions will be included in the user guide.
PlayStation consoles will not support these formats as Sony is taking a radically different approach to 3D audio in the PS5 with their new Tempest audio engine. Penrose will support Tempest, as well as the other formats on compatible devices."

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #141 of 7,191
Primary reason is that 2.4GHz lossless wireless is better than any BT codec available now and has a lower latency compared to a BT codec. A second reason is it would have required the addition of another chipset to support other codecs such as LDAC/AptX

D'oh, I actually assumed decoding would be done in software :sweat_smile::face_palm: Thanks for setting that straight.

I agree with the 2.4GHz being more suitable than BT argument when connected to a PC/console. However, I find myself desperately wanting a wireless headset that can double as a BT headphone for my phone/tablet, and given the assumed musical qualities and the removable mic, this feels a bit like a missed opportunity to me. Might just be my weird use case though :shrug:

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #142 of 7,191
Using USB via Xbox requires a chip that is licensed by MS, similarly Apple requires one for its lightning connected devices. Yes part of it is a revenue stream for manufacturing accessories for Xbox. Part of it is also to ensure compatibility and smooth user experience and to avoid bad imitations/knock offs or possibly damage.

ps: I am not trying to justify if it is correct or wrong, I am just stating what their reasoning is.

Ah that’s rough. I was hoping to find a peach tree X1 or something similar to run the audio. I don’t know how MS plans to support all the audio codecs if it’s bottle necked through a proprietary chip, nevermind HDMI audio out to home systems.

Huge disappointment. Big fan of what y’all are doing at Audeze though.

Jul 18, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #143 of 7,191
Ah that’s rough. I was hoping to find a peach tree X1 or something similar to run the audio. I don’t know how MS plans to support all the audio codecs if it’s bottle necked through a proprietary chip, nevermind HDMI audio out to home systems.

Huge disappointment. Big fan of what y’all are doing at Audeze though.

Possibly OT:
There is no problem with HDMI audio because it is for most HDMI sources such as Blu-ray, Netflix etc is encrypted (HDCP) and so your AV receiver would have the ability to decrypt and use the audio and video as the AV receiver manufacturer would have the right licensing in place. On the other hand, you cannot directly route that audio into a DAC (good luck finding a DAC to accept HDMI input)

Multi channel audio is still possible only through HDMI (on consoles) as you also have proprietary multi-channel formats such as Dolby Atmos that is sent only through HDMI (because it can be encrypted and be copyrighted). On consoles, USB currently supports only stereo (I hope that changes to include PCM 5.1 and 7.1). So it is not codecs that is the problem, all the decoding is already done by the console. Audio will not be passed through USB unless XBox sees the chip. In the past Play Station has been less stringent on what is connected (devices may or may not work without licensing) to the USB port and Nintendo Switch does not have any such restrictions on the USB port.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #144 of 7,191
Jul 18, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #146 of 7,191
Possibly OT:
There is no problem with HDMI audio because it is for most HDMI sources such as Blu-ray, Netflix etc is encrypted (HDCP) and so your AV receiver would have the ability to decrypt and use the audio and video as the AV receiver manufacturer would have the right licensing in place. On the other hand, you cannot directly route that audio into a DAC (good luck finding a DAC to accept HDMI input)

Multi channel audio is still possible only through HDMI (on consoles) as you also have proprietary multi-channel formats such as Dolby Atmos that is sent only through HDMI (because it can be encrypted and be copyrighted). On consoles, USB currently supports only stereo (I hope that changes to include PCM 5.1 and 7.1). So it is not codecs that is the problem, all the decoding is already done by the console. Audio will not be passed through USB unless XBox sees the chip. In the past Play Station has been less stringent on what is connected (devices may or may not work without licensing) to the USB port and Nintendo Switch does not have any such restrictions on the USB port.

Kind sir, do you think this would work?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24278

Jul 18, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #148 of 7,191
This and similar HDMI audio extractors will work for 2ch or compressed 5.1 PCM for DACs or other audio devices that accept optical input but not for Penrose (which requires USB).

:wink: I’ll use it for my LCD-X. Thank you!

Jul 19, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #149 of 7,191
I rarely play multiplayer games on PC, so I’m using my LCD-MX4s while on PC. Wireless headset would be nice while gaming from the couch, so Penrose is definitely interesting. The only PC functionality I need from Penrose is that it can double as a Skype headset for work.

However, if Audeze makes a mic cable for fullsized headphones that I can plug into the PS5 controller, that would be really interesting also.

Jul 19, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #150 of 7,191
I rarely play multiplayer games on PC, so I’m using my LCD-MX4s while on PC. Wireless headset would be nice while gaming from the couch, so Penrose is definitely interesting. The only PC functionality I need from Penrose is that it can double as a Skype headset for work.

However, if Audeze makes a mic cable for fullsized headphones that I can plug into the PS5 controller, that would be really interesting also.

They make an in-line mic for TRRS. Not sure if PS is rocking a 3.5mm as I’m on Xbox. (It’s also always sold out)

https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-microphone-cable

In stock!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back