Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jul 17, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #122 of 7,191
I also use the optical out from Xbox & PS4, however the Xbox Series X is ditching the optical port in favor of USB devices. So you will have to find a work around with an HDMI audio extractor or USB device if you upgrade.

I really hope PS5 keeps the optical port, but I pre-ordered both versions of Penrose to be ready. I have been using my Mobius with PS4 a lot, but look forward to ditching the 10FT USB cable.
USB to SPDIF will work too /shrug

Jul 17, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #123 of 7,191
@KMann Thx for all the insights!

I'm a bit surprised at the omission of any high-bitrate BT codecs. I'd expect them to go great with the fancy planar drivers when playing music over my phone :) I would assume it's a licensing issue, since the technical capability has been demonstrated in the Mobius?

Is that something you see being made available through a FW update in the future?

Any news as to whether the local distributors will be offering the pre order discount?

Also, do you have any information as to international availability of the Penrose? I haven't seen them listed at any of the participating dealers.

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #124 of 7,191
You mention that the penrose can be paired with mobile devices in BT mode. Can you also use usb adapters, such as Apple's lightning to usb adapter to get 2.4ghz connection? For the usual music listening or videos I do not mind bluetooth, but I'd like as little latency as possible for rhythm games and the like :)
We have not tested it that way and do not know if it will work. Also the dongle has a significant power requirement and would likely drain the battery on your mobile device.

Jul 17, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #126 of 7,191
@KMann Thx for all the insights!
I'm a bit surprised at the omission of any high-bitrate BT codecs. I'd expect them to go great with the fancy planar drivers when playing music over my phone :) I would assume it's a licensing issue, since the technical capability has been demonstrated in the Mobius?
Is that something you see being made available through a FW update in the future?

That is a good question. Primary reason is that 2.4GHz lossless wireless is better than any BT codec available now and has a lower latency compared to a BT codec. A second reason is it would have required the addition of another chipset to support other codecs such as LDAC/AptX, additional licensing cost, additional circuitry and control logic etc that would have increased cost, complexity and delayed production. As a console headset we felt this was the right compromise.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #127 of 7,191
How seamlessy can you switch audio playback between your phone and console/PC.

And would you say the SQ when using bt is somewhat comparable with the mobius, despite just AAC/SBC?

Also is the battery life the same if you just use it for either BT or the wireless USB dongle?

Finally, will any European dealer participate in this promotion? Or can we only get the pre order discount if directly from Audeze?

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #128 of 7,191
USB to SPDIF will work too /shrug

That's my hope, however, it would have to be an official USB adapter released by Microsoft or a partner as I highly doubt any existing one would have the driver support & licensing on the console. I think there priority is pushing people to USB based audio devices like Penrose that they can generate revenue off of through licensing, which would also be the case with a potential USB to SPDIF adapter.

Jul 17, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #129 of 7,191
How seamlessy can you switch audio playback between your phone and console/PC.
Assuming your PC/Console is using Wirless, it should be as simple as press of a button.

And would you say the SQ when using bt is somewhat comparable with the mobius, despite just AAC/SBC?
This depends on the codec you choose. For SBC/AAC yes they are both comparable. For LDAC (which Penrose does not support), Mobius can sound better subjectively.

Also is the battery life the same if you just use it for either BT or the wireless USB dongle?
Yes they should be close.

Jul 17, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #130 of 7,191
Shipping cost to Europe is crazy high, much higher compared to when I got the Mobius off the Indigogo campaign, plus added taxes/import fees on top of that. The pre-order promo discount will just get eaten up by the insane shipping cost... :/

What European suppliers will participate in this pre-order promo? I checked a few of your dealers in my country, but none had this promo.

For this type pre order promotion of a low cost, high quantity product, I think its way smarter to use some big international chain like Amazon as opposed to niche Hifi stores.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #131 of 7,191
That's my hope, however, it would have to be an official USB adapter released by Microsoft or a partner as I highly doubt any existing one would have the driver support & licensing on the console. I think there priority is pushing people to USB based audio devices like Penrose that they can generate revenue off of through licensing, which would also be the case with a potential USB to SPDIF adapter.
Using USB via Xbox requires a chip that is licensed by MS, similarly Apple requires one for its lightning connected devices. Yes part of it is a revenue stream for manufacturing accessories for Xbox. Part of it is also to ensure compatibility and smooth user experience and to avoid bad imitations/knock offs or possibly damage.

ps: I am not trying to justify if it is correct or wrong, I am just stating what their reasoning is.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #132 of 7,191
We have not tested it that way and do not know if it will work. Also the dongle has a significant power requirement and would likely drain the battery on your mobile device.
Understandable. To me, that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make

Jul 17, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #133 of 7,191
Finally, will any European dealer participate in this promotion? Or can we only get the pre order discount if directly from Audeze?
UK is already online. Germany and France should announce in a few days.
penrose.audeze.co.uk

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jul 17, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #135 of 7,191
I'm really interested in the microphone. Would it be possible to upload a mic sample or comparison with the mobius microphone?
I'll do this when I get a chance to review them. Have the Mobius at home, and will compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back