Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jul 16, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #106 of 7,191
The Mobius, I think, is still more robust than the Penrose. LDAC is pretty nice on my cell phone, etc. and I love the 3D and hi res sound. I got my Mobius for $299 and it's worth every penny, love it.

But that's not the point. If you don't want that extra robustness, if you are just mainly a console gamer and you don't want wires, Penrose is probably the better choice, if you have to choose, as most of us do.

That being said, I'm thinking about raiding my savings to get a Penrose because the only thing I don't like about the Mobius is it's mic - it subpar, IMHO. So I'm going to buy the new Penrose mic for my Mobius anyway, when it's available. That's probably going to cost $99 or more, so I'm thinking strongly about just springing for another $149 just to have the Penrose, with it's graphic equalizer, which the Mobius doesn't have.

Decisions, decisions . . .

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #107 of 7,191
Will the gel-filled ear pads from the Mobius fit on the Penrose?

Jul 16, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #108 of 7,191
I'm really interesting it.

However , I have questions need to answer before preorder .

Q1: does it support surround sound ? For PS4 and PS5 ? Example : I can hear the footsteps in the second floor and also the ground very clear . Could you please clarify.

Q2: does it support 3D sound ? For PS4 and PS5 ?

Q3: If I have from penrose me and my brother, can we hear the sound of the game in both with same time ? Also the microphone? PS4 AND PS5 .
I asked these questions because I didn't found in the website and I couldn't understand it from the discussion here. So please clarify the answers please so that I can decide.

Jul 16, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #110 of 7,191
Q1: does it support surround sound ? For PS4 and PS5 ? Example : I can hear the footsteps in the second floor and also the ground very clear . Could you please clarify.

Q2: does it support 3D sound ? For PS4 and PS5 ?

It is a stereo headphone with no inbuilt 7.1 or surround support. It will however work with any headphone based virtualization PS4/PS5 will support (like the recently anounced Tempest engine)

Q3: If I have from penrose me and my brother, can we hear the sound of the game in both with same time ? Also the microphone? PS4 AND PS5 .
I asked these questions because I didn't found in the website and I couldn't understand it from the discussion here. So please clarify the answers please so that I can decide.
I am not sure I understand. Are you asking if more than one headphone can be connected to the same Console? I think it should be possible if Ps4/5 supports multiple wirless headsets.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #111 of 7,191
I just play Xbox via optical out to my RME to my LCD-x’s :p I will however tell everybody I play with about these

Jul 16, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #112 of 7,191
I just play Xbox via optical out to my RME to my LCD-x’s :p I will however tell everybody I play with about these

I also use the optical out from Xbox & PS4, however the Xbox Series X is ditching the optical port in favor of USB devices. So you will have to find a work around with an HDMI audio extractor or USB device if you upgrade.

I really hope PS5 keeps the optical port, but I pre-ordered both versions of Penrose to be ready. I have been using my Mobius with PS4 a lot, but look forward to ditching the 10FT USB cable.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #113 of 7,191
People should remember that this is a gaming wireless device first. Intended for the consoles. The Mobius is not a good WIRELESS gaming device, due to it not being a low latency Bluetooth device. The Mobius is first and foremost a usb 7.1 device. The wireless functions were a bonus. The Penrose is low latency wireless as its PRIORITY. They're fundamentally different in their priority use cases.

Jul 16, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #116 of 7,191
No the headset is the same. The dongle is what differentiates them. The dongle requires the licensing chip/protocol but otherwise behave the same way.
How's the pairing to dongle function work, hold button down like bluetooth? And if you have both dongles, will you have to switch between them at a time? Meaning you have to repair when switching from dongle to dongle? I know this isn't an initial problem since the dongles aren't sold separately at first but it'll be interesting to see how the function between two dongles works.

Jul 16, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #117 of 7,191
Will the Penrose fit in the Mobius Carry Case as well?

Jul 16, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #119 of 7,191
How's the pairing to dongle function work, hold button down like bluetooth? And if you have both dongles, will you have to switch between them at a time? Meaning you have to repair when switching from dongle to dongle? I know this isn't an initial problem since the dongles aren't sold separately at first but it'll be interesting to see how the function between two dongles works.
It requires unpairing and pairing with a different dongle, but it is a bit more involved than a simple button press. Something I would not mind doing once a day but I would not do it multiple times a day.

Jul 17, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #120 of 7,191
Yes Penrose will support Game/Chat mix

Penrose will be able to take advantage of the 3D audio on PS5 when it is made available and it will also be able to take advantage of Dolby Atmos, DTS and Windows Sonic for headphones on X box. We plan to make custom presets available to provide the optimal pairing with these headphone virtualization options.

Yes Penrose will have Side-tone toggling.

Yes PC and MAC will be supported. You can of course use it with mobile devices in BT mode.
You mention that the penrose can be paired with mobile devices in BT mode. Can you also use usb adapters, such as Apple's lightning to usb adapter to get 2.4ghz connection? For the usual music listening or videos I do not mind bluetooth, but I'd like as little latency as possible for rhythm games and the like :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back