Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Mar 30, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #5,641 of 7,191
Have they emailed you back after you gave them your info? Do they send us the new ones first then we send them our old ones? That would be nice to have happen.
I haven't heard from them, hopefully they do email me back soon.
I emailed them a couple hours ago with my info and haven't heard back yet.
Yeah, it's been a few hours for me too, they may have a lot of replacements to ship out.

Edit: They just sent me an email with an attached shipping label, says I need to ship them with all the stuff that came with it (manuals, cables, etc.). Glad I kept all of them in the box just in case.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #5,642 of 7,191
They are not asking for any credit card info...That doesn't seem likely as any time I've gone through those type of advanced replacements you usually have to get your credit card info to them before they ship in case you don't return them they process the full charge and not just a hold.
Good news is it looks like they're shipping it independently from receiving the soft-bricked ones. I wanted to keep my ear pads since I vinyl wrapped the green with carbon fiber wrap so they don't look so gamey so great news for me; I'll wait to get my replacement before shipping so I can swap my pads out

A replacement unit has been ordered for you. Once that's left our facility, you'll get an automated email with tracking information from our carrier. Here are the instructions for sending in your current Penrose unit:

Please pack your headphones carefully. When shipping your package please write your RMA# XXX on several sides of the cardboard box so we can quickly begin the process.

Please make sure to include all cables and accessories that came with your headphones (including manuals, etc if possible).

Please DO NOT use foam packing peanuts-- instead, use bubble wrap or crumpled paper to create cushioning in your shipping box if needed.

I've attached a pre-paid shipping label, just print and tape it to your box, then drop off at any Fedex location.

Please DO NOT send any accessories that weren't included with your original headphone purchase, as we can't guarantee that we'll be able to return them to you. DO NOT send the case if purchased -- replacements will be in packaging which does not include those items.

Ship to the following address:

Audeze LLC. RMA Dept
3410 S. Susan St.
Santa Ana, CA 92704
USA
tel: 714-581-8010

Please let us know if you have any questions!

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #5,643 of 7,191
New email:
I apologize in advance for the numerous emails. I just spoke with our warehouse manager about this issue and he's informed me that we're unfortunately between shipments of new units at this time.

We can handle these cases in one of three ways, please let me know which you prefer so I can get this resolved as quickly as possible:

- We can proceed as originally planned and immediately send out a replacement, but we will ship you a B-stock unit. These units will be very lightly used (if used at all) and will come with a full warranty from the day you receive them.

- We can have you ship your old unit back and we can reprogram it and send it back to you ASAP.

- You can hold off on shipping your new unit in until we have more new units available, at which time you're free to send that old unit back and a new unit will be sent. We're currently anticipating new standard Penrose units in the next 3 weeks, and new X units a week after that.

Mar 30, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #5,644 of 7,191
I missed an update window, so had to update it by myself. Successfully! But I guess I need newer Audeze HQ to somehow configure new features or kinda (would be happy if someone will PM a link thanks, guys!).

For curious people only:
  • I used Windows (Mac should also work, but I don't have it to test) and Audeze HQ desktop app.
  • I downloaded the firmware manifest (https://audeze-penrose.s3.amazonaws.com/AudezePenroseFW.xml)
  • I downloaded all binary files with the links provided in this file.
  • I used simple HTTP server to host all these files by myself (simple thing like this would be enough: python -m http.server 80):
    1617149395966.png
  • I replaced version and URLs in the manifest:
    1617149531263.png
  • I used Hex editor and by preserving the same URL length I replaced it in the AudezeHQ.exe binary (again: new and old binaries MUST have the same size).
    1617150123611.png
    1617149616288.png
  • Finally I launched AudezeHQ and saw this in HTTP server log, app grabbed files like a charm:
    1617149745528.png
  • App detected and I successfully flashed my headset.
    1617149987346.png
Audeze, if you don't like it, please implement digital signing or find another way to resist such a things.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #5,645 of 7,191
I miss an update window, so had to update it by myself. Successfully! But I guess I need newer Audeze HQ to somehow configure new features or kinda (would be happy if someone will PM a link).

Audeze, if you don't like it, please implement digital signing or find another way to resist such a things.

Does your headset actually work? (has new beta features, can be detected by desktop audeze hq?) If not you probably just soft bricked your headset with the rest of us (and spent a considerable amount more work to do so) :joy:

Mar 30, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #5,646 of 7,191
Does your headset actually work? (has new beta features, can be detected by desktop audeze hq?) If not you probably just soft bricked your headset with the rest of us (and spent a considerable amount more work to do so) :joy:
It works, Audeze HQ software also detects it. I’ve restarted a headset and reconnected to be sure.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #5,650 of 7,191
Odd part was the mobile app process was smooth and went to 100% in chunks...took about a minute. Looks like it should work fine so not sure what's borked, the firmware or the update process via mobile.
Definitely the mobile app updating the headset, app definitely needs reworking since it only seems to work for me half the time.

Mar 31, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #5,651 of 7,191
Any updates on future firmware updates for the mic in wireless mode? I'm aware of the earlier firmware update to clean things up, but interested to see if they want to having a setting that sacrifices audio bandwidth to bump the mic quality.

Mar 31, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #5,652 of 7,191
I miss an update window, so had to update it by myself. Successfully! But I guess I need newer Audeze HQ to somehow configure new features or kinda (would be happy if someone will PM a link).

For curious people only:
  • I used Windows (Mac should also work, but I don't have it to test) and Audeze HQ desktop app.
  • I downloaded the firmware manifest (https://audeze-penrose.s3.amazonaws.com/AudezePenroseFW.xml)
  • I downloaded all binary files with the links provided in this file.
  • I used simple HTTP server to host all these files by myself (simple thing like this would be enough: python -m http.server 80):
    1617149395966.png
  • I replaced URLs in the manifest:
    1617149531263.png
  • I used Hex editor and by preserving the same URL length I replaced it in the AudezeHQ.exe binary (again: new and old binaries MUST have the same size).
    1617150123611.png1617149616288.png
  • Finally I launched AudezeHQ and saw this in HTTP server log, app grabbed files like a charm:
    1617149745528.png
  • App detected and I successfully flashed my headset.
    1617149987346.png
Lol you're crazy.

Maybe they should just hire you :wink:

Mar 31, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #5,653 of 7,191
Any updates on future firmware updates for the mic in wireless mode? I'm aware of the earlier firmware update to clean things up, but interested to see if they want to having a setting that sacrifices audio bandwidth to bump the mic quality.
In my opinion wireless mic quality now is much better (I am mean after 0.1.7 update)

Mar 31, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #5,655 of 7,191
Good news is it looks like they're shipping it independently from receiving the soft-bricked ones. I wanted to keep my ear pads since I vinyl wrapped the green with carbon fiber wrap so they don't look so gamey so great news for me; I'll wait to get my replacement before shipping so I can swap my pads out
Lucky for you. I was told that now that they got my returned headset in-hand, I'll have mine processed by sales in for shipment within "1-2 weeks." Given that the end-of-February firmware update still isn't out yet, I don't have hopes that I'll have a replacement within a month. Now I see the post where CS told another customer that they aren't due for 3 weeks.

I should have been clearer on the timeline or asked for a cross-ship, but I gave too much weight to a replacement being shipped out "ASAP," according to CS.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back