Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 18, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #3,436 of 7,191
This definitely works. You have to have the switch in PC setting. Unplug / plug it back again.

Tried both switch settings, unplug and plug back in multiple times. No joy. Packed them up and shipping them to my son as he's on a gaming PC and should have better luck.

BTW the adapter I was using is the Apple one that has USB-A, HMDI and USB-C ports. Tried multiple USB-C ports on the MacBook Pro. Adapter is known good - I printed the UPS label with it after testing :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #3,438 of 7,191
Thank you for your feedback. We understand it falls short of your expectations. Some of it firmware related and fixable. Some choices like headband is not.
But we do plan to adding features and improving it.
The clamping force can be improved by stretching them out over something but that only fixes it partially.
This is somewhat surprising – Mobius and Penrose have the same clamping force – and both headbands willstretch over time (or use the “pillow method” proposed by another Head-Fi’er). We’ve sold almost 100K units over the past few years, and we haven’t received any major long-term complaints on this.

I'm not sure why they went with this design. The penrose and mobius look different from other Audeze products. There's a reason almost all sennheisers and beyerdynamics for example look the same. They know what works and they stick to it.
With Mobius and also Penrose, we had to add additional items (Batteries, Accelerometer/Gyro incase of Mobius, dual antennas for Penrose) etc. We also had to go with closedback and make sure the weight of the Planar drivers do not make it very heavy. So this was a choice that was influenced by making closed planars as well as making them efficient.

The scroll wheels for volume don't have enough granularity. Also, does anyone use the scroll wheel for your voice?
Granularity - We plan to have finer adjustments with firmware upgrades in future. The mic volume is intentional. People use this because somene on the other side says, the volume is too low.

Audeze HQ Doesn't work unless you connect through USB. To update the firmware you have to download a new app version, really?
Also, no way to see battery status, anywhere. Why is this not a thing in the app?
The App doesnt have to be updated to update the firmware. Unless we add new features to the app (which is also planned), you do not need to download the app again. Firmware updates shows up when we update the firmware in the cloud.
Battery status will be in the next version of app.

The 2.4Ghz wireless connectivity.
Bluetooth on the other hand has great range and I can go anywhere without it dropping. Through walls/ceilings etc. is not an issue and seems to work great.

There are only a couple of chipsets in the market. Almost every company making low latency wireless use the same chipsets. The choice is between lower latency, data rate and range.

There's 1 big issue imo with the sound, a very noticeable hiss.
The noise floor on Penrose with the current firmware (0.1.5) is very low. With the new firmware it is atleast 18 dB lower. Hae you turned off the side tone ?

As we mentioned earlier, we plan to add / modify a number of features over the next month. Android app to control the Penrose wirelessly is queued for release on the google app store for next week.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 18, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #3,440 of 7,191
Tried both switch settings, unplug and plug back in multiple times. No joy. Packed them up and shipping them to my son as he's on a gaming PC and should have better luck.

BTW the adapter I was using is the Apple one that has USB-A, HMDI and USB-C ports. Tried multiple USB-C ports on the MacBook Pro. Adapter is known good - I printed the UPS label with it after testing :wink:
This is my primary use case. USB-C to Penrose X through the Apple adapter. So, surprised you seem to have an issue. if you run into any other issue, send us an email and we will look into it.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 18, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #3,441 of 7,191
Thank you for your feedback. We understand it falls short of your expectations. Some of it firmware related and fixable. Some choices like headband is not.

This is somewhat surprising – Mobius and Penrose have the same clamping force – and both headbands willstretch over time (or use the “pillow method” proposed by another Head-Fi’er). We’ve sold almost 100K units over the past few years, and we haven’t received any major long-term complaints on this.

With Mobius and also Penrose, we had to add additional items (Batteries, Accelerometer/Gyro incase of Mobius, dual antennas for Penrose) etc. We also had to go with closedback and make sure the weight of the Planar drivers do not make it very heavy. So this was a choice that was influenced by making closed planars as well as making them efficient.

Granularity - We plan to have finer adjustments with firmware upgrades in future. The mic volume is intentional. People use this because somene on the other side says, the volume is too low.

The App doesnt have to be updated to update the firmware. Unless we add new features to the app (which is also planned), you do not need to download the app again. Firmware updates shows up when we update the firmware in the cloud.

There are only a couple of chipsets in the market. Almost every company making low latency wireless use the same chipsets. The choice is between lower latency, data rate and range.

The noise floor on Penrose with the current firmware (0.1.5) is very low. With the new firmware it is at least 18 dB lower. Hae you turned off the side tone ?

As we mentioned earlier, we plan to add / modify a number of features over the next month. Android app to control the Penrose wirelessly is queued for release on the google app store for next week.

Can you speak to the issues I've heard about in regards to 90%/10% audio split on the BT/2.4ghz dual connection? This is the main reason I decided to preorder back in July as the only other headset on the market that had this functionality is the Arctis Pro Wireless, which seem to break at the earcup/headband connection and the sound quality of $20 headphones. That being said, their dual connection works perfectly.

I haven't heard any good experiences on this, but I'm hoping that my own testing when I receive the Penrose X next week will show that the negative reports were overblown.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #3,443 of 7,191
Can you speak to the issues I've heard about in regards to 90%/10% audio split on the BT/2.4ghz dual connection? This is the main reason I decided to preorder back in July as the only other headset on the market that had this functionality is the Arctis Pro Wireless, which seem to break at the earcup/headband connection and the sound quality of $20 headphones. That being said, their dual connection works perfectly.
This is something we are looking at, but do not know if it is possible to implement or not at the moment.

Dec 18, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #3,444 of 7,191
I just want to start off by thanking you for responding to the past few posts of critical (but respectful) feedback. It means a lot for us as consumers to feel our voice is heard.

I never tried the Mobius, but the Penrose are definitely the most uncomfortable pair of headphones I've ever owned (that includes both Focal Elear and Utopia, Sony Z1R, ZMF Omni, HD650, HD800, Hifiman HE-400i, HE-560i and HE-1000i, and then Momentum 3.0 and WH1000XM3 for wireless). It's not as bad now after stretching them out for several nights, but they're still by far the least comfortable headphones I own, and I need to take break after a couple hours.

This is great to hear! I think your engineers are doing an incredible job looking into criticisms and doing their best to provide stellar customer support.

While this might be true, I still never have the same range/stability issues with the 2 other wireless headsets I own or owned (Steelseries Arctis 7p and Sony Pulse 3D). I still prefer the Penrose over these two, but if all 3 are using the same wireless chipsets, I hope that Audeze can balance the latency and stability to come closer to what its competitors provide. I recall Audeze saying the Penrose have about 17ms of latency; I routinely game with Momentum 3.0 which use aptX Low Latency with 40-50ms latency and I find this negligible. If we can get an option to reduce latency by 20-30ms in order to improve wireless stability and range, I would absolutely choose that option.

Thanks again for your response!

Dec 18, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #3,446 of 7,191
Question on that: How can the Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless have a lossless data rate, with much better range of ~40ft, and similar latency if no chipsets exist that allow for all of those things to be present?

Not trying to say they're comparable, calling the drivers mediocre would be generous, but they outright prove that you CAN have all of those things in one headset as far as wireless goes. Either they're just outright using blatant false advertising about one or more components and somehow getting away without getting sued or it is a problem someone else managed to solve just fine without compromising on any of those three wireless features.

Dec 18, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #3,449 of 7,191
I just want to start off by thanking you for responding to the past few posts of critical (but respectful) feedback. It means a lot for us as consumers to feel our voice is heard.

I never tried the Mobius, but the Penrose are definitely the most uncomfortable pair of headphones I've ever owned (that includes both Focal Elear and Utopia, Sony Z1R, ZMF Omni, HD650, HD800, Hifiman HE-400i, HE-560i and HE-1000i, and then Momentum 3.0 and WH1000XM3 for wireless). It's not as bad now after stretching them out for several nights, but they're still by far the least comfortable headphones I own, and I need to take break after a couple hours.

This is great to hear! I think your engineers are doing an incredible job looking into criticisms and doing their best to provide stellar customer support.

While this might be true, I still never have the same range/stability issues with the 2 other wireless headsets I own or owned (Steelseries Arctis 7p and Sony Pulse 3D). I still prefer the Penrose over these two, but if all 3 are using the same wireless chipsets, I hope that Audeze can balance the latency and stability to come closer to what its competitors provide. I recall Audeze saying the Penrose have about 17ms of latency; I routinely game with Momentum 3.0 which use aptX Low Latency with 40-50ms latency and I find this negligible. If we can get an option to reduce latency by 20-30ms in order to improve wireless stability and range, I would absolutely choose that option.

Thanks again for your response!
Agreed on the lack of comfort. These sound really good, but I am not sure how I can make them more comfortable.

Dec 18, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #3,450 of 7,191
Possibility of allowing users to change the balance between BT audio and 2.4 Ghz audio.

Ah understood. If that is a major issue for my use case, how long would I have to return them? I'd probably be OK w/waiting for a response from your dev team but not willing to take a chance that no fix for the issue would be released.

Also, I'm curious as to why the decision was made for such huge difference in audio levels? 90/10 may as well be 100/0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back