Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 25, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #1,817 of 7,191
...any time someone mentions any new issues, they can be reminded that it'll likely be fixed sooner rather than later. Audeze is aware of the complaints.

Paraphrasing here:

"Audeze might decide to cripple the non-X in a firmware update so it doesn't work with PS5 despite being a generic audio device."
-MLE, fearmongering to less tech savvy consumers​

"I buy products for what I need now, not what I might need in the future"
-MLE, on why you should not buy the X based on immediate need.​

"Ignore the shortcomings of this product because Audeze might be able to fix them in future software/firmware updates."
-MLE, on why you should buy a subpar product regardless of immediate need.​

Anyone else catching a lick of irony?

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #1,818 of 7,191
heres the one thing that doesnt make sense to me.

It supports lossless audio via the 2.4 ghz dongle, but then we're told wireless mic quality has to suffer due to bandwidth? 2.4ghz can support it. I understand limitations on mic quality via bluetooth where bandwidth is actually limited, but no reason on 2.4ghz wireless it should be any different than wired. IMO

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #1,819 of 7,191
But my sidetone has always remained off once switched, and I don't keep a mic plugged in.
This combined with non Sony headsets unable to utilize chatmix makes for a sad initial launch for a “gaming” headset. These should have been sent to ign or someone with a review PS5.
My PS5 is also issue free to date. No sticker noise that sounds like whine, no bricking in rest mode, nothing.
yeah most are. It is blown out of proportion. But my point was that kind of product is sold in the millions already. The percentage of issues with Penrose is higher and they haven’t even shipped all orders yet.
That’s really the issue for me. I don’t mind waiting for a firmware update to get things going after some feedback, but they need to get those units out. It’s 2 weeks later and some are looking at another 2 weeks to receive them because of their slow shipping times. I’d like to see them step up and expedite these orders. It’s one thing to have to wait for a firmware update and have half a headset, it’s another to have to wait for the update and the headset itself. There are no other wireless options available right now that are going to sound like the Penrose. On the other hand, the lack of competition shouldn’t keep them from extending some goodwill and keeping people happy while waiting for those updates that we still don’t have a timeframe for.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #1,820 of 7,191
How would one typically update firmware on these?
I was told the updating process will be easier than the Mobius, which wasn't too hard, though a little more complicated than I would've preferred. You do need to be on PC software for the Mobius. Not sure how the Penrose will be. In any case, they'll give out instructions.

@waltzk how do you know the percentage is higher? Do you have those numbers?

Also firmware updates shouldn't affect shipping dates. Firmware is updated via user...

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #1,821 of 7,191

It supports lossless audio via the 2.4 ghz dongle, but then we're told wireless mic quality has to suffer due to bandwidth? 2.4ghz can support it. I understand limitations on mic quality via bluetooth where bandwidth is actually limited, but no reason on 2.4ghz wireless it should be any different than wired. IMO
Is it the mic itself? Have you tried a different 3.5 mm mic to test out? There’s nothing proprietary about this mic, is there? Maybe someone can give this a try and see if it’s the mic.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #1,822 of 7,191
For those saying I could be a specific case and not the norm, I’m not going to disagree. I do think a large percentage of people are going to love this headset. I also don’t think this whirl noise is normal, as the first day I did not notice it. So maybe my unit is simply defective? Though another user did also hear it. I think single player gamers are going to love this. Multiplayer gamers - it’ll be a mixed bag. Just to be clear on my comment about range - I’m not expecting to talk to people when I’m in my kitchen. But I am not expecting to have to take my headset off because I hear “connected connected” over again. Every other headset will simply just not make sound when out of range and then start back up when near range. A large reason I get a wireless headset is so I can roam around freely, these don’t allow that for now. Again, maybe a firmware update will fix that. Maybe a firmware update will fix all or most of my gripes.

But right now, this headset is “pending” it’s potential because of firmware updates and out the box in its current state there are just way too many little things that add up for most but not all gamers. Some gamers will be happy with it out the box, but I think the more online competitive users won’t be very happy with its inconsistent performance, bad wireless mic, and another annoyances. My final verdict is i am returning - and will watch this headset develop from the sidelines.

If they address the issues, fix the bugs, and I see things are going in the right direction - I have no issue buying these again one day in the future. But that really depends on how Audeze handles things and the feedback from the community. Like another user said, it’s not like we have a lot of choices for good wireless headsets. I am eager to hear impressions from those that are still waiting and I’m hoping I hear more good than bad. The last thing I want is for this headset to fail. I’m hoping I got a lemon and I’ll be back in the mix in the near future. Also hoping Audeze address if the X version works on both consoles, because if I ever buy these again - I’ll need it to work on both somehow.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #1,825 of 7,191

My post here may help you: Audeze Penrose X and Penrose | Page 34 | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org (head-fi.org)

Nov 25, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #1,826 of 7,191
how do you know the percentage is higher? Do you have those numbers?

Also firmware updates shouldn't affect shipping dates. Firmware is updated via user...
I have yet to see one completely positive review of the Penrose. Almost every post from someone who has it had stated there is some issue. Even you. It’s firmware fixable maybe, but it’s still an issue. And I realize shipping and firmware are different, but it’s all encompassing under a customer service experience. Those of us with a PS5 that need a wireless headset and were promised something (3 time) aren’t having anything done to make that up. They can easily upgrade shipping instead of this ground bs they’re using.
Also, can you speak to your review unit and the difference in the final production units everyone else is receiving. It may be possible corners were cut and the product just isn’t the same as the one your received. Thanks

Nov 25, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #1,827 of 7,191

Thats kinda where I was coming from though...why not just use a compression format on mic audio to fit it all within the bandwidth? Was mic lag going to change that much from it? And why not allow the user to lower the bandwidth usage of incoming audio to reallocate it to outgoing. For example, when playing call of duty, I dont need lossless incoming audio for gunshots and footsteps, so I'd prefer to reallocate bandwidth to mic which is far more important in team gaming.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #1,828 of 7,191

Well, here is the tradeoff they made:

Low latency and high bandwidth both cost power. You can use a cheaper, low-power radio and the battery will last longer and improve rated battery life.
-OR- you can use higher power radios, which shortens battery life. Then you need to compensate with a bigger battery, and therefore a heavier headset. Are you familiar with the Audeze Suspension Strap(TM)?

stpvlpqxo5l51.jpg

That said, a $300 phone can make a round trip ping of 6ms over wifi (on a 2.4GHz band), transfer 200 Mbps, play audio, power a 1440p touch screen, stay connected to wifi around the house, and have a 10+ hour battery life. The amp for planar drivers is obviously a power hog, but there's some room for improvement on the electronics side, which Audeze may become more well versed in for their next line of headsets. This whole segment is new to them, so you have to cut them some slack and report the shortcomings for them to improve.

I'm willing to assume that planar drivers are expensive to manufacture, otherwise this headset is being thrown together with some cheap electronics and a huge markup.

Nov 25, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #1,829 of 7,191
I have yet to see one completely positive review of the Penrose. Almost every post from someone who has it had stated there is some issue. Even you. It’s firmware fixable maybe, but it’s still an issue. And I realize shipping and firmware are different, but it’s all encompassing under a customer service experience. Those of us with a PS5 that need a wireless headset and were promised something (3 time) aren’t having anything done to make that up. They can easily upgrade shipping instead of this ground bs they’re using.
Also, can you speak to your review unit and the difference in the final production units everyone else is receiving. It may be possible corners were cut and the product just isn’t the same as the one your received. Thanks
News flash, every complex device that utilizes firmware has issues at one point or another, especially early in their lifespan.

I'm own an LG Oled C9. Which is arguably the best OLED TV from 2019. I'm STILL dealing with issues that can be addressed. These things happen. They do get fixed.

Buying a product day 1, especially complex ones like a headset and expecting perfection is very unrealistic. There will always be something that needs to be addressed. It's rare when there are zero complaints. Regardless of company or product.

Of course I have issues with the Penrose. I had problems with the Mobius as well. I had problems with my TV, my PC, and I definitely had problems with my phones. It comes with the territory.

Nothing helps Audeze by cherry picking something just for me to view positively. I may be a reviewer, but first and foremost, they want my input on what's WRONG, what works, and what doesn't. I am in communication to with them to discuss my issues and what I think can be improved. I'm not in communication with them to brown nose and tell them everything is fine. That helps no one.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #1,830 of 7,191
Well, here is the tradeoff they made:

Low latency and high bandwidth both cost power. You can use a cheaper, low-power radio and the battery will last longer and improve rated battery life.
-OR- you can use higher power radios, which shortens battery life. Then you need to compensate with a bigger battery, and therefore a heavier headset. Are you familiar with the Audeze Suspension Strap(TM)?

That said, a $300 phone can make a round trip ping of 6ms over wifi (on a 2.4GHz band), transfer 200 Mbps, play audio, power a 1440p touch screen, stay connected to wifi around the house, and have a 10+ hour battery life. The amp for planar drivers is obviously a power hog, but there's some room for improvement on the electronics side, which Audeze may become more well versed in for their next line of headsets. This whole segment is new to them, so you have to cut them some slack and report the shortcomings for them to improve.

I'm willing to assume that planar drivers are expensive to manufacture, otherwise this headset is being thrown together with some cheap electronics and a huge markup.

Replaceable/rechargeable battery solves the issue there. In fact, for a gaming headset thats supposed to be wireless, that should be a requirement. Nothing worse than battery dying mid game on a friday night during a 4-6 hour gaming session.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back