Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Jan 17, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #4,246 of 4,464
Note that using things like exclusive mode, and not setting the bitrate to 16bit/24but and 48/96hz will cause audio issues. Maxwell does not support 44.1khz. through usb/dongle.

The setting is correct (24 bit/96 KHz), but distortion is present.

Attachments

• roon.jpg
    roon.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 0
Jan 17, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #4,247 of 4,464
Yes, we are still working on firmware releases.
Bought the Maxwell Xbox version a month ago, overall everything is good, even great! I don't have any problems with sidetone reported here, yes there is some white noise when using sidetone with internal mics at over 70% gain but it not problem, no noise with external mic, but I don't really use it.

However there are a few minor issues that can probably be solved by firmware. I'm using headphones with a MacBook on the M1, when the dongle is plugged directly into the USB-C Thunderbolt 4 port, then occasionally its connection is interrupted and after a couple seconds it recovers and the headphones are connected to the dongle again. However, when connected via USB hub, everything works stably. Have you heard of this issue?

Second issue, I have the microphone switch set to off as I don't use it. However, in the same scenario of using the dongle on MacBook via USB hub after some time, for example 2-3 hours of listening the headphones start to make a sound as if the microphone is turned on and immediately turns off, when I open the application you can see that this is exactly what happens, the microphone is off and on. This happens with high frequency and does not stop until I turn off and reconnect the headphones. Sometimes it helps to manually switch the microphone switch to on/off. Have you heard of this issue?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #4,248 of 4,464
On both headsets, with no audio playing, I can hear the static at any sidetone setting from 3% and above. And I don't hear my voice being piped back to a useable level until about 40%-50% at which point the static is unbearable. This is via USB or dongle tested on a mac and a windows pc and via usb, dongle and AUX 3.5mm jack on PS5.

This is with 3 firmware versions on the first headset, and 2 on the newest headset.
Same issue here. I wish support would acknowledge the issue, but by the responses, it looks like it's being classed as "normal." Such a shame as the audio quality is amazing for a headset in the $300 price range.

Jan 17, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #4,249 of 4,464
Same issue here. I wish support would acknowledge the issue, but by the responses, it looks like it's being classed as "normal." Such a shame as the audio quality is amazing for a headset in the $300 price range.
This is a very well known issue. I can only imagine Audeze would fix it if it was possible, but I assume this is not possible (hardware issue, not firmware). Many users are not bothered too much or at all, as shown by the very high demand for this headphone. If this is a big issue for anyone, I think the best is to return or sell the Maxwell and purchase a different headphone. No amount of complaints or negative posts have made a difference and I suspect new posts / complaints will be no different.

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #4,250 of 4,464
Same issue here. I wish support would acknowledge the issue, but by the responses, it looks like it's being classed as "normal."

I think almost users don't have this issue, I also don't have any issue with sidetone I have Xbox version.
I think Audeze got some headphones with this problem by RMA and checked them, although they certainly won't say if there was an actual problem with these headphones and what it was, but apparently they didn't find any major abnormalities.
Users with this problem could record the sounds of this issue and than any body can see if it really is something special and not just white noise. And also describe the conditions when this happens, for example, with what type of connection (dongle pc, xbox, ps, bluetooth, wired, wired usb), with what microphone, at what sidetone level, what device are the headphones connected to and etc.
After that, you can create a users lists with this problem and write a collective request to Audeze with all of the proof.
Since Audeze has now apparently decided that this is not a widespread or serious problem, maybe they think it just white noise and some users very senstive to it.

I can only imagine Audeze would fix it if it was possible, but I assume this is not possible (hardware issue, not firmware).

The only thing that confuses me is that those users who had this problem and exchanged the headphones by RMA and got new ones all also say that this problem persisted in the new headphones. There are also those who have exchanged headphones 3 times at the store and got this problem each time.
If this was a hardware problem only in some devices, users would get rid of the problem by getting a second pair of headphones, but the same users seem to have this problem.
It's hard to say why this is the case, maybe the problem isn't with the headphones themselves.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #4,251 of 4,464
Test all your usb ports. The dongle is sensitive to bad ports, and use the included USB A adapter as well. Also turn off any EQ you have during the test to ensure it's not an EQ issue.

Also test the OTHER connection types.

I have a laptop where one usb ports distorts at all times with the dongle, and another 3 ports that doesn't.

Also, test the dongle on other devices that is not that laptop. You need to narrow down the cause, from whether it's the PC, the dongle, the headset, the EQ preset used, etc.

After various tests I was able to reproduce the problem also on a smartphone and, as on a PC, the audio distortion occurs when the Windows (and Android) audio output settings for the USB dongle are set to 96 KHz (both 24 bit and 16 bit), while distortion is not present when the Windows (and Android) audio setting is 48 KHz. Problem detected only with the USB dongle on 2 different PCs, with Bluetooth everything fine.

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #4,252 of 4,464
I think almost users don't have this issue, I also don't have any issue with sidetone I have Xbox version.
I think Audeze got some headphones with this problem by RMA and checked them, although they certainly won't say if there was an actual problem with these headphones and what it was, but apparently they didn't find any major abnormalities.
Users with this problem could record the sounds of this issue and than any body can see if it really is something special and not just white noise. And also describe the conditions when this happens, for example, with what type of connection (dongle pc, xbox, ps, bluetooth, wired, wired usb), with what microphone, at what sidetone level, what device are the headphones connected to and etc.
After that, you can create a users lists with this problem and write a collective request to Audeze with all of the proof.
Since Audeze has now apparently decided that this is not a widespread or serious problem, maybe they think it just white noise and some users very senstive to it.

The only thing that confuses me is that those users who had this problem and exchanged the headphones by RMA and got new ones all also say that this problem persisted in the new headphones. There are also those who have exchanged headphones 3 times at the store and got this problem each time.
If this was a hardware problem only in some devices, users would get rid of the problem by getting a second pair of headphones, but the same users seem to have this problem.
It's hard to say why this is the case, maybe the problem isn't with the headphones themselves.
You may have misunderstood, I think (sorry that I wasn’t clear!)… I did not mean that I think this side tone issue is a hardware problem affecting SOME units. I think that there is a hardware design flaw affecting ALL units and that this design flaw cannot be addressed by a firmware fix. If you are sensitive to the issue you probably will find it no matter how many RMAs. If you are not sensitive to it, you may wonder what the fuss is about…

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #4,253 of 4,464
Headphones.com shows the Xbox version as in stock and shipping now currently.
Yup we just got a shipment of them in yesterday!

Based on estimates from Audeze, our next Xbox shipment as well as PS shipment will be arriving sometime in March.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jan 18, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #4,255 of 4,464
Bought the Maxwell Xbox version a month ago, overall everything is good, even great! I don't have any problems with sidetone reported here, yes there is some white noise when using sidetone with internal mics at over 70% gain but it not problem, no noise with external mic, but I don't really use it.

However there are a few minor issues that can probably be solved by firmware. I'm using headphones with a MacBook on the M1, when the dongle is plugged directly into the USB-C Thunderbolt 4 port, then occasionally its connection is interrupted and after a couple seconds it recovers and the headphones are connected to the dongle again. However, when connected via USB hub, everything works stably. Have you heard of this issue?

Second issue, I have the microphone switch set to off as I don't use it. However, in the same scenario of using the dongle on MacBook via USB hub after some time, for example 2-3 hours of listening the headphones start to make a sound as if the microphone is turned on and immediately turns off, when I open the application you can see that this is exactly what happens, the microphone is off and on. This happens with high frequency and does not stop until I turn off and reconnect the headphones. Sometimes it helps to manually switch the microphone switch to on/off. Have you heard of this issue?
Email support@audeze.com for assistance.

Is latest HQ App version (Windows 11) 3.1.84 please ?
That is latest public release on the HQ page:

https://www.audeze.com/pages/audeze-hq-software

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jan 20, 2024 at 3:12 AM Post #4,258 of 4,464
You may have misunderstood, I think (sorry that I wasn’t clear!)… I did not mean that I think this side tone issue is a hardware problem affecting SOME units. I think that there is a hardware design flaw affecting ALL units and that this design flaw cannot be addressed by a firmware fix.
I talked to some Maxwell users who are suffering from this cracle noise, in order to understand exactly what they hear that I don't, and I figured it out for myself.
What they call crackle is just white noise and the fact that you hear it is normal, the stronger the gain of the microphone the louder it is. I have different headphones and everywhere where there is a transparency or sidetone mode there is some white noise. With the internal microphone in Maxwell it is quite loud at 100%, but there the microphone gain is high. I turn it on at 50-60%, which is enough to hear my surroundings and myself and not suffer from white noise. I don't use the external microphone for Maxwell which is included in the kit, but I tested it, and I didn't notice any noticeable white noise even at 100%. Of course Waxwell could have implemented noise reduction with AI for the sidetone function as they do for the sound from the microphone, but they didn't it for some reason. So the white noise is not a defect of the headphones as some claim, but just a design feature.
I have a home recording studio and have a good understanding of what white noise is due to microphone amplification. I have a quality Rode microphone with usb-c connection that also has a transparency mode, and at maximum microphone gain this white noise is even much louder than in Maxwell, but no one considers this a defect.

Except I don't understand, I don’t heard noise in the external microphone that comes with the set, it was kind of fixed in the firmware, I think they just limit maximum level of gain, so I don't understand the users complaints. But perhaps some very small number of users hear something other than white noise, indeed some rustling and crackling, probably a defect in which case replacing the headphones may help, but the bulk of users apparently just complain of white noise, which is not a defect

Jan 21, 2024 at 5:48 AM Post #4,260 of 4,464
I thought I would chime in on this thread again with some 'final' thoughts after having the Maxwell for a year. This is overall a very good gaming headset and I think after mulling over selling it to return to a wired 'high end' headphones and mod-mic combo, I'm going to stick with the Maxwell for convenience and honestly for quality (especially in terms of the mic.)

Prior to this I've used Sennheiser 6/5series headphones and a mod-mic, The Sony Pulse, the Sony Inzone h5 and the Audeze Penrose.
  • The Sony Pulse weren't bad for the very low price, decent range, decent noise cancelling mic that won't piss off your teammates, serviceable sound quality, but the battery life was shocking (curious about the Pulse Elites coming out soon).
  • The Sony Inzones were just overall bad... terrible terrible range, plasticy weird sounding timbre, overpriced.
  • Sennheiser open back + modmic - love the sound, could never quite get on with the microphone though, it's just a straight forward microphone with no noise cancelling and it's just not an option for PS5, unlike say PC where you can run discord with noise cancellation software.
  • Penrose - fantastic but flawed sound, usability. comfort and build quality concerns.
Maxwell (Pros)

+ Sound quality is excellent. Great bass and smooth treble. So much better than the Penrose in terms of treble especially (which I found scratchy on the Penrose). Better than my wired 'audiophile' open backs in some ways.
+ Mic is a 9/10. Brilliant AI noise cancelling, and super high quality in general, the best gaming headset mic I've used, and probably the best mic you can use for gaming in general that sits in front of your mouth. Sure you could get a Shure mic and a stand, but it's not going to be always consistently in front of your face. I can't state how much in my experience the competition aren't even close in this regard.
+ Battery life is ridiculous
+ Build quality is superb
+ Look nice

Maxwell (Negatives)

- Mic sidestone static (a nitpick)
- Not the best for footsteps or positioning, but not bad at this either.
- I'm not sure my drivers exactly match, left sounds a little louder in some frequencies, but I say this with the caveat that maybe it's just my hearing that doesn't match on all frequencies.
- Ultimatley too big/bulky to wear outside the house as general purpose headphones
- a bit heavy
- I do just miss open-back headphones

I should say that these are really nitpicks for the price, and for the price this headset is very good. Should there be a Maxwell V2 at any point in the next few years with minor improvements to sidetone, maybe improved driver matching/consistency I would say they could bump the price by another $100 and I would still upgrade in a heartbeat. I feel like they could iterate this model into literally the perfect gaming headset.

I also feel bad criticising it almost because I second guess myself. Is the sidetone issue really that bad? Just because it sounds slightly different to typical sidetone white noise does it actually sound worse? Are the drivers really slightly mis-matched, or are they just so clear and good quality I'm picking up flaws in my own hearing? It's possible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back