Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Mar 7, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #2,191 of 4,459
Actually now that I am playing with no bg music or podcast, I find myself having to turn up the volume for Darksiders 3 on PC, I am at 85 to get a comfortable volume and I am someone who normally does not listen loud. Not sure if this is since the last update but maybe it is a one off thing, will test with a couple more games tonight and update this post if this persists in other games.

Edit: Looks to be source dependant, be it movies or songs or games. Some games are louder than others. For games that output lower volume than others I might use a plugin or software to increase the systemic audio output gain. Hopefully that won't distort the sound or impact it negatively. TBH I never tried the Penrose but mobius is def the loudest wireless headset I have used to date.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #2,192 of 4,459
Just got my Maxwell this evening. Latest firmware.

Did a quick measurement on my PS5 with the dongle, volume max output hitting spikes up to 95dB. Yea, no complaints from me here. PC it's just as loud with the dongle, getting consistent measurements with spikes up to 95dB.

I'm very impressed with how it sounds out of the box. Haven't got any of the presets to work like bass boost, treble,(can't remember if they were working or not from Audeze HQ pc app). I'm fine with whatever setting it is at and probably won't change it for the moment. I don't notice any latency issues and without a doubt it is miles better than any gaming headset I've ever used which is unfortunately more limited compared to my collection of muisc focused headphones and IEM's I've amassed (mid-fi collector of 70+ but unfortunately no Audeze products besides the Maxwell).

Let me get back to gaming, playing Dead Space on this thing, JFC, I can't believe how good this thing sounds. I have to say, this is probably one of the most impressive I can think of at the moment and actually really surprised me with even little sounds and how things are placed in the environment. Words that come to mind, detailed, engaging, addicting and satisfying. I wasn't really expecting this, I mean for ***, it's not like I haven't listened to planar headphones before, I have damn near a dozen planar iems and damn near most Hifiman headphones south of 600 dollars.

The quality, picking this thing up, oh man, there is nothing cheap feeling about it, everything about this headset feels premium.

Looking forward to using this one in my every day routine and even for music, it's a keeper.
How are you testing this? An app or meter? What game and what were the circumstances? I’ve seen numerous people only getting upto 79db after the update.

Mar 7, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #2,193 of 4,459

Did a quick measurement on my PS5 with the dongle, volume max output hitting spikes up to 95dB. Yea, no complaints from me here. PC it's just as loud with the dongle, getting consistent measurements with spikes up to 95dB.

I'm very impressed with how it sounds out of the box. Haven't got any of the presets to work like bass boost, treble,(can't remember if they were working or not from Audeze HQ pc app). I'm fine with whatever setting it is at and probably won't change it for the moment. I don't notice any latency issues and without a doubt it is miles better than any gaming headset I've ever used which is unfortunately more limited compared to my collection of muisc focused headphones and IEM's I've amassed (mid-fi collector of 70+ but unfortunately no Audeze products besides the Maxwell).

Let me get back to gaming, playing Dead Space on this thing, JFC, I can't believe how good this thing sounds. I have to say, this is probably one of the most impressive I can think of at the moment and actually really surprised me with even little sounds and how things are placed in the environment. Words that come to mind, detailed, engaging, addicting and satisfying. I wasn't really expecting this, I mean for ***, it's not like I haven't listened to planar headphones before, I have damn near a dozen planar iems and damn near most Hifiman headphones south of 600 dollars.

The quality, picking this thing up, oh man, there is nothing cheap feeling about it, everything about this headset feels premium.

Looking forward to using this one in my every day routine and even for music, it's a keeper.
You can double-press the volume wheel to activate EQ, and turn them accordingly to a different preset. A voice prompt will indicate what preset you're on.

Mar 7, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #2,194 of 4,459

Play Dead Space with the immersive EQ. Again, double click the volume knob and select immersive and put on adult diapers. : D

Mar 8, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #2,195 of 4,459
How are you testing this? An app or meter? What game and what were the circumstances? I’ve seen numerous people only getting upto 79db after the update.
I used a dedicated Decibel Meter I trust and use to measure my other headphones, stuck it inside one of the cups, cranked up the volume to max, put on some grating anime music I know was going to have a constant flurry of consistently loud sound on the Spotify app on PS5 and took my readings. Did the same thing on PC, same song. Quick and dirty.

Mar 8, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #2,196 of 4,459
Play Dead Space with the immersive EQ. Again, double click the volume knob and select immersive and put on adult diapers. :
I feel like my EQ settings are not working, there is no noticeable variation or difference between EQ settings that I can pick up on either PC or using the volume knob to choose between settings on the PS5. I'll have to look into this one a bit further.

Edit:
Tried using USB, factory resetting, verifying the dongle is in the correct setting. Just can't seem to sort out why the EQ profiles are not working. Perhaps this unit is a dud. I will have to contact Audeze Support to see if there is any insight that they can provide but not really sure what can be done, it's pretty straight forward to choose an EQ but nothing really is happening.

I guess my question is how noticeable are these EQ profiles when you swap between them?

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #2,197 of 4,459
Mar 8, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #2,198 of 4,459
I just double checked the product page and they only mention 2.4Ghz twice and it's to say it's 3x better than the one in the Penrose. The Penrose 2.4Ghz was objectively trash. Even my A50s had 3x the range and connection stability and it used the same type of connection, just better.
You do realize that BT uses 2,4 GHz, right ? :wink:

Anyway who cares, if it sounds right.... It's just us nerds who are being curious and that's it

Mar 8, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #2,199 of 4,459
I used a dedicated Decibel Meter I trust and use to measure my other headphones, stuck it inside one of the cups, cranked up the volume to max, put on some grating anime music I know was going to have a constant flurry of consistently loud sound on the Spotify app on PS5 and took my readings. Did the same thing on PC, same song. Quick and dirty.
Could you check it with a game like GOW, TLOU or Howarts Legacy?
From my experience, music on Spotify on ps5 always sounds louder.
Let's see if you find a solution with your eq, good luck!

Mar 8, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #2,200 of 4,459
It was mentioned in the first few versions of Maxwell User Guide.

81F80FF8-B38A-4975-9923-6203B728D335.jpeg

However, the latest version of the guide has the "LC3+ Bluetooth Adapter" removed.

9C897F45-D3C2-4C49-9EFC-C1C11018DBB3.jpeg

Mar 8, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #2,201 of 4,459
Could you check it with a game like GOW, TLOU or Howarts Legacy?
From my experience, music on Spotify on ps5 always sounds louder.
Let's see if you find a solution with your eq, good luck!

I had TLOU installed, the rest of the games I have on PC. TLOU had a variety of sounds and the dB range was anywhere from 55dB to 100dB in the highest spike, often in action scenes I would average between 80/90dB.

Mar 8, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #2,205 of 4,459
Well paying extra for postage was pointless then - parcel still at Gatwick depot and not expected until tomorrow!

I'm guessing I'll get it the same time as if I hadn't bothered paying extra :frowning2:
Same here.I pay for 24h delivery but…

Attachments

• DBE4CE27-AB7A-4891-835C-D83D31F42F54.png
    DBE4CE27-AB7A-4891-835C-D83D31F42F54.png
    360.2 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back