Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Mar 7, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #2,131 of 4,465
Bluetooth will take priority. If you do not want this, because you're focused on the other connection, the simple answer is to turn off BT/disconnect until you want to have BT.

Otherwise, if you want to hear both, use USB-C + BT, or AUX + BT, then you get simultaneous audio.

I would recommend you turn off touch sounds on your BT device/phone/tablet, so that the act of pressing your phone won't trigger BT priority. This way you can set your phone to only trigger BT audio when you get calls, play an audio file, etc.

Mar 7, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #2,132 of 4,465
Bluetooth will take priority. If you do not want this, because you're focused on the other connection, the simple answer is to turn off BT/disconnect until you want to have BT.

Otherwise, if you want to hear both, use USB-C + BT, or AUX + BT, then you get simultaneous audio.

I would recommend you turn off touch sounds on your BT device/phone/tablet, so that the act of pressing your phone won't trigger BT priority. This way you can set your phone to only trigger BT audio when you get calls, play an audio file, etc.
I am curious what is the reasoning as to why the Penrose could do bt and dongle simultaneously but the Maxwell can't? I rarely used both but it was neat feature.

Mar 7, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #2,133 of 4,465
No, they have already stated that that is not possible. USB-C and/or aux and bluetooth will be simultaneous though. Otherwise yes, bluetooth will 'steal' priority everytime the bluetooth device is in use. I actually don't mind this behaviour, but can understand how it could be incredibly annoying for some people. Again, in an ideal world they could add a checkbox in the app that says "Allow bluetooth to take over priority". But I guess the ideas is that you can answer phone calls if you are connected to the phone. Don't want to be in a situation where you get a call and can't answer it because the device is connected but doesn't have priority.

Hmmm that makes sense. I just thought I was tripping that maybe they "enabled" it after the firmware update or something. Anyways, the more I think about it, I feel like having the option to switch source modes like we had on the Penrose would be my personal preference, but not sure if that's even possible through firmware. I just think that for users like me, we will always have to manually turn off bluetooth on our phones or go into device settings and disconnect the headset. Which obviously is just not a smooth user experience.

Mar 7, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #2,134 of 4,465
I am curious what is the reasoning as to why the Penrose could do bt and dongle simultaneously but the Maxwell can't? I rarely used both but it was neat feature.

Just speculation, but the Maxwell dongle apparently uses a Bluetooth connection, which is different than the Penrose, so it’s possibly a limitation of the chipset that doesn’t allow for multiple Bluetooth sources to play simultaneously

Mar 7, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #2,136 of 4,465
Curiosly though you can pair and listen to two Bluetooth sources simultaneously.

That hasn't been my experience. I can pair multiple Bluetooth sources simultaneously, but I can't listen to them simultaneously. At least that's been my experience between my iPhone and iPad. I can pair both, but I have to pause one before the other will take over. I can't listen to both together.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #2,137 of 4,465
Just speculation, but the Maxwell dongle apparently uses a Bluetooth connection, which is different than the Penrose, so it’s possibly a limitation of the chipset that doesn’t allow for multiple Bluetooth sources to play simultaneously

There is no way the dongle uses a BT connection. It would be too much latency for gaming. The dongle should be a 2.4Ghz connection.

Mar 7, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #2,138 of 4,465
That hasn't been my experience. I can pair multiple Bluetooth sources simultaneously, but I can't listen to them simultaneously. At least that's been my experience between my iPhone and iPad. I can pair both, but I have to pause one before the other will take over. I can't listen to both together.
Oh sorry yeah you are right, that is the behaviour.

Mar 7, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #2,140 of 4,465
Nice! Are the gunshots and explosions now less loud as you mentioned earlier? I tried tweaking my audio for better foodsteps (sennheiser game zero) with the Steelseries Nova software someone explained on youtube for best audio in Warzone, but my ears were bleading from such loud explosions and gunfire i uninstalled Nova and went back to standard audio with Dolby. Was afraid you had the same with the Maxwells.

I tried tweaking it for COD, I got it better, but still not as well EQ'd as my Astros. I was mainly referring to the EQ I made for music listening was a huge improvement. I'm hoping GT releases his EQ for COD to fix the ear bleeding explosions while keeping the footsteps.

Hopefully some day Audeze adds more flexibility to their software which allows us to select specific frequency to edit. What I'm struggling with is having to edit 2 frequencies when I really just want to add a peek on 1 frequency.

Mar 7, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #2,142 of 4,465
I tried tweaking it for COD, I got it better, but still not as well EQ'd as my Astros. I was mainly referring to the EQ I made for music listening was a huge improvement. I'm hoping GT releases his EQ for COD to fix the ear bleeding explosions while keeping the footsteps.

Hopefully some day Audeze adds more flexibility to their software which allows us to select specific frequency to edit. What I'm struggling with is having to edit 2 frequencies when I really just want to add a peek on 1 frequency.

Are you gaming on PC? If so, might the SS sonar engine not do the trick for the time being?

Mar 7, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #2,143 of 4,465
There is no way the dongle uses a BT connection. It would be too much latency for gaming. The dongle should be a 2.4Ghz connection.

We're not talking older Bluetooth codecs with super high latency. You kinda have to read between the lines on their website, but they're seemingly using LC3plus, which has a latency of around 5ms. They're definitely not using 2.4Ghz wireless like the Penrose, as they specifically differentiate their wireless connection from 2.4Ghz multiple times on the product page. So yeah, I think the dongle is using Bluetooth.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #2,145 of 4,465
We're not talking older Bluetooth codecs with super high latency. You kinda have to read between the lines on their website, but they're seemingly using LC3plus, which has a latency of around 5ms. They're definitely not using 2.4Ghz wireless like the Penrose, as they specifically differentiate their wireless connection from 2.4Ghz multiple times on the product page. So yeah, I think the dongle is using Bluetooth.

Hmm. I'm not saying your wrong, but it's hard to believe. Latency aside, I couldn't imagine the mic quality being as good through the dongle as it is with the limited bandwidth BT has. Even with high end codecs, it's still not that good. They do have LC3PLUS codec, but you don't need the dongle to use that and the mic quality is not the same.

I just double checked the product page and they only mention 2.4Ghz twice and it's to say it's 3x better than the one in the Penrose. The Penrose 2.4Ghz was objectively trash. Even my A50s had 3x the range and connection stability and it used the same type of connection, just better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back