Audeze - Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v63 and HQ v109)
Feb 27, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #1,771 of 4,480
How would you compare the max volume on the maxwell to the Penrose?

Currently, I'm running the Maxwell at 64% on Windows and I think it's plenty loud. I can probably go up to 70% but that's pretty loud and would be pretty fatiguing. I think the Penrose definitely had more room to get louder. That being said, I think the Maxwell is loud enough. I don't know why anyone would want to be higher than 70%. So I'm satisfied. I have to test this on PS5 and see how it fares. I do remember having to turn up the volume on the Penrose, so hopefully the Maxwell's can handle that as well.

Feb 27, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #1,773 of 4,480
That's how I have it but I still had to set the output device in Discord to Chat Audeze Maxwell and then for Windows Audio, have the output be on the Game Audeze Maxwell.

HuZvJGh.png
oVvA4Or.png
oZ0dPAm.png

I get the same feedback about the mic quality on Discord so I'm not using it. Using the a wireless Modmic instead. Super disappointing that the quality on the mic doesn't come through well on Discord. Especially for the price of the headset.
I didn't have to do that with mine. I just left it as default and it just worked for me. What I did notice though is you can separately set the chat audeze volume in windows and then set game at a different volume as well

Feb 27, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #1,774 of 4,480
Not sure where the statement "fewer magnets" came from but my review didnt state anything of that sort. I just showed the structure of the hyperx cloud orbit s to the new maxwell and the different amount of bars
Sorry, you didn't actually use that phrase but if I'm not mistaken the "bars" you are referring to in the review are magnets housing so fewer of them means fewer magnets as Maxwell uses a planar design with magnets only on one side of the diaphragm.
I'm also wondering what's up with wrinkles on the diaphragm and if it's a defect or not.

Feb 27, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #1,775 of 4,480
Got them in the mail this morning! @RedJohn456 massive thanks for the heads up! Headphone Bar shipped them here pronto. Very pleased with their service. Lucky lucky break! I hope you got yours!

Still testing them out. Mainly listening to music atm while I work. Have to "break them" in. I've been using the Steelseries Nova 7x Wireless since my Penrose's sideband snapped so my ears have to get used to the Audeze sound again lol.

First few track listens have been great. Excellent clarity and very well-tuned right out of the box - quite balanced across the board. Onboard EQ is very cool and I'll be testing with that later today. So far I'm listening on the default "Audeze" mode. I've mainly used Dolby Atmos for my PC EQ needs but might switch to the Audeze app if it's good so I can get custom EQs on the headset itself so I don't have to fiddle around with software every time I need to change a preset. Though IIRC, when I had the Penrose, changing the gain on frequencies in the Audeze app would change the volume of the headset... Maybe that's changed now, I last used it a long long time ago.

Anyway, will continue testing on PC and PS5 - run some games and see how it fares on the gaming side. Will also test the mic on discord and report back.

20230227_102034.jpg
About the last part, it's called Automatic Gain Compensation or AGC. I don't have my Maxwell yet but im sure it has it too, although please correct me if I'm wrong.

As a quick tip, you can cut frequencies instead if you don't want AGC engaged. It's a bit monotonous, but my Penrose is still plenty loud. Gathering from the other posts here the Maxwell should be the same way.

Feb 27, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #1,776 of 4,480
Got them in the mail this morning! @RedJohn456 massive thanks for the heads up! Headphone Bar shipped them here pronto. Very pleased with their service. Lucky lucky break! I hope you got yours!

Still testing them out. Mainly listening to music atm while I work. Have to "break them" in. I've been using the Steelseries Nova 7x Wireless since my Penrose's sideband snapped so my ears have to get used to the Audeze sound again lol.

First few track listens have been great. Excellent clarity and very well-tuned right out of the box - quite balanced across the board. Onboard EQ is very cool and I'll be testing with that later today. So far I'm listening on the default "Audeze" mode. I've mainly used Dolby Atmos for my PC EQ needs but might switch to the Audeze app if it's good so I can get custom EQs on the headset itself so I don't have to fiddle around with software every time I need to change a preset. Though IIRC, when I had the Penrose, changing the gain on frequencies in the Audeze app would change the volume of the headset... Maybe that's changed now, I last used it a long long time ago.

Anyway, will continue testing on PC and PS5 - run some games and see how it fares on the gaming side. Will also test the mic on discord and report back.

20230227_102034.jpg

Twins! I got mine in today and really enjoyed using them. Def surpassed my expectations for sound, and most of all for comfort. For how much they weight, its remarkable how well the weight is distributed over your head and the cushions are so soft I stopped feeling them after 30 minutes. I managed to use them for quite sometime today and still trying to figure out all the functions. Did yours happen to come with a manual? I only downloaded the Audeze HQ app so far, and def like all the tunings. All of them are useable.

And def headphone bar is outstanding, I place the order on Friday and it arrived here in Toronto on Monday!

Feb 27, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #1,777 of 4,480
Sorry, you didn't actually use that phrase but if I'm not mistaken the "bars" you are referring to in the review are magnets housing so fewer of them means fewer magnets as Maxwell uses a planar design with magnets only on one side of the diaphragm.
I'm also wondering what's up with wrinkles on the diaphragm and if it's a defect or not.
yeah the structure is shifted, maybe because it helps with tuning, maybe they wanted to remove one to make headphone lighters or maybe because driver is smaller so it didn’t need as much but i can only guess.

Wrinkles on diaphragm on planars is normal i have a bunch on my hifiman he6se v2

Feb 27, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #1,778 of 4,480
Twins! I got mine in today and really enjoyed using them. Def surpassed my expectations for sound, and most of all for comfort. For how much they weight, its remarkable how well the weight is distributed over your head and the cushions are so soft I stopped feeling them after 30 minutes. I managed to use them for quite sometime today and still trying to figure out all the functions. Did yours happen to come with a manual? I only downloaded the Audeze HQ app so far, and def like all the tunings. All of them are useable.

And def headphone bar is outstanding, I place the order on Friday and it arrived here in Toronto on Monday!

Awesome, glad you got them as fast as I did and that you're enjoying them! Yeah, I had the same observations about comfort. I knew it was going to be relatively heavy but in all honesty that hasn't bothered me at all in the several hours I spent using them today.

My box did not come with a manual oddly enough... I was looking for it as well. Weird to not have that included - might have been a mistake 🤷‍♂️ Regardless, I just went to the Audeze website and accessed it through there - https://docs.google.com/document/d/...H9947CRvuVti7XKPldfksgxRtKeu5nnbIWS2NXULD/pub

Audeze HQ works but I need the custom EQs to be sorted for it to be useable for me.

Feb 27, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #1,779 of 4,480
Any hacks on extending wireless dongle range (or what factors to consider)? Computer's back USB port gives constant disconnects sitting at desk, 1.2ft away (similar to Penrose). However, front USB port gives me 12-15 ft which I'm okay with, just wish I could go all over the place like with some other brands. But any thin drywall after 10 ft seems to kill it.

Feb 27, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #1,780 of 4,480
Audeze HQ works but I need the custom EQs to be sorted for it to be useable for me.

Agreed. EQ will be huge. I like some of the presets, but there's a thing or 2 that bugs me on them. Footsteps for example, I'd love to drop the sub-base some more so the 110ish hz pops a bit more as well as bring down whatever is going on in the high-mids to treble.

Feb 27, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #1,781 of 4,480
Any hacks on extending wireless dongle range (or what factors to consider)? Computer's back USB port gives constant disconnects sitting at desk, 1.2ft away (similar to Penrose). However, front USB port gives me 12-15 ft which I'm okay with, just wish I could go all over the place like with some other brands. But any thin drywall after 10 ft seems to kill it.
It comes with an extension that you can use to put on top of your case.

Feb 28, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #1,782 of 4,480
The range should be better than this. Please contact support and we should be able to sort it out.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Feb 28, 2023 at 12:53 AM Post #1,783 of 4,480
Awesome, glad you got them as fast as I did and that you're enjoying them! Yeah, I had the same observations about comfort. I knew it was going to be relatively heavy but in all honesty that hasn't bothered me at all in the several hours I spent using them today.

My box did not come with a manual oddly enough... I was looking for it as well. Weird to not have that included - might have been a mistake 🤷‍♂️ Regardless, I just went to the Audeze website and accessed it through there - https://docs.google.com/document/d/...H9947CRvuVti7XKPldfksgxRtKeu5nnbIWS2NXULD/pub

I am in love with the headset, the overall sound quality has made most of my collection obsolete - however on your last point, I have to agree. It sounds heavenly for everything but shooters, mainly BF2042 - the competitive and footstep EQ settings didn't work super well for me so I look forward to working on my EQ presets to get it closer to what I need. But for the time being its perfect otherwise, movie and tv shows sound out of this world. Truly an all rounder.

Feb 28, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #1,784 of 4,480
Currently, I'm running the Maxwell at 64% on Windows and I think it's plenty loud. I can probably go up to 70% but that's pretty loud and would be pretty fatiguing. I think the Penrose definitely had more room to get louder. That being said, I think the Maxwell is loud enough. I don't know why anyone would want to be higher than 70%. So I'm satisfied. I have to test this on PS5 and see how it fares. I do remember having to turn up the volume on the Penrose, so hopefully the Maxwell's can handle that as well.
Can you let me know when you test on ps5 and compare the volume? Especially in story games, which is where I've had problems with other headsets.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #1,785 of 4,480

Thanks for the pointer to online documentation @dairyman. Question about the USB dongle when used for PC: Will that allow me to transmit audio from a standard PC music player (FooBar, HQPlayer for example) to the headset in best quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back