Audeze - Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v63 and HQ v109)
Feb 24, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #1,651 of 4,481
Can never take his 'sound' part of any review seriously if I'm honest - it usually consists of just - 'the treble was up here, the mids over there and the bass was punchy down here' - that's about it - if it's not 'v-shaped' he won't generally like it. I remember her posted some Steelseries Eq suggestions a year or two back and they were as big a V shape as possible - not my taste at all.

He's getting touchy now as he knows he can't produce the same technical comparisons/opinions.

Feb 24, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #1,652 of 4,481
Did anyone check out Techne's review of the Maxwell?

Overall a decent review and he seems to be swooning over them but I found it super interesting how dismissive he was about the "technical" sound, how he despises the EQ band and that it's all "marketing, corporate" mumbo jumbo. I get that he's not technically inclined and I actually agree with the general sentiment that customers should make a decision on how headphones sound to them vs. getting obsessed with technicalities. And even though I'm not that technically inclined myself I know that the EQ graphs etc. exist for a reason. There's a science behind tuning every headphone and it's what makes them sound unique from each other. In fact, it's what's helped me learn how music is recorded and reproduced and where the different "sound profiles" sit on an EQ band based on their frequencies (bass, mids, treble). I'm all for user-focused reviews - it's definitely an important perspective but there was no need to be so condescending about people who prefer to make decisions on the technical aspects imo. Makes reviews more well-rounded.

If anything his review did help reassure my purchase decision but it was kinda spicy. @GadgetryTech I wonder what you made of that since your reviews are often really well balanced (mix of user side focusing on feature set etc. and technical breakdown). Not trying to instigate but just getting your take on that.

Feb 24, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #1,653 of 4,481

Overall a decent review and he seems to be swooning over them but I found it super interesting how dismissive he was about the "technical" sound, how he despises the EQ band and that it's all "marketing, corporate" mumbo jumbo. I get that he's not technically inclined and I actually agree with the general sentiment that customers should make a decision on how headphones sound to them vs. getting obsessed with technicalities. And even though I'm not that technically inclined myself I know that the EQ graphs etc. exist for a reason. There's a science behind tuning every headphone and it's what makes them sound unique from each other. In fact, it's what's helped me learn how music is recorded and reproduced and where the different "sound profiles" sit on an EQ band based on their frequencies (bass, mids, treble). I'm all for user-focused reviews - it's definitely an important perspective but there was no need to be so condescending about people who prefer to make decisions on the technical aspects imo. Makes reviews more well-rounded.

If anything his review did help reassure my purchase decision but it was kinda spicy. @GadgetryTech I wonder what you made of that since your reviews are often really well balanced (mix of user side focusing on feature set etc. and technical breakdown). Not trying to instigate but just getting your take on that.

I'm definitely not trying to get into beef/drama with any one or any channel. He's entitled to his opinion of course.

Some statements that it's marketing fluff/hocus pocus or whatever he said wasn't as cool and from what I could tell some people called that out in the comments. I bought my Maxwell that I reviewed. I've received zero marketing material. All of the tech stuff and frequency response came from hours/days of testing, just like other reviews I do.

I won't be engaging in anything regarding his opinions unless he specifically calls out me or a specific video I made. Otherwise, I'll just do my own thing and provide content that I feel can help the consumer/viewer. That's all I want to do, as I love using the products I review.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #1,654 of 4,481
Man... I'm definitely not trying to get into beef/drama with any one or any channel. He's entitled to his opinion of course.

Some statements that it's marketing fluff/hocus pocus or whatever he said wasn't as cool and from what I could tell some people called that out in the comments. I bought my Maxwell that I reviewed. I've received zero marketing material. All of the tech stuff and frequency response came from hours/days of testing, just like other reviews I do.

I won't be engaging in anything regarding his opinions unless he specifically calls out me or a specific video I made. Otherwise, I'll just do my own thing and provide content that I feel can help the consumer/viewer. That's all I want to do, as I love using the products I review.

For sure, again didn't mean to instigate. Also, I don't think you need to defend yourself - you were very clear about your testing methodology in your review. It was just Techne's opinion (even though it's a pretty bad take). I don't think he wants any drama either and he's stated that it was not his intent to make it sound like he was attacking someone. Though imo, he indirectly was still kinda calling out reviewers who dive into the technical side of things. I loved your review and your channel has always been one of my go-tos for any new headphone release.

Moving on... my Maxwells arrive on Monday and I cannot wait!!! My Penrose snapped a month ago so hopefully, 2nd time's the charm. The agony of being a first adopter!

Feb 24, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #1,655 of 4,481
Received my maxwells yesterday. I played with them for a few hours. The sound is great, eq switching works well. Connection was great, I walked all through my basement without any issues what so ever. Microphone was clear and loud according to my friend I was playing with. I did not have any annoying crackles or pops that I had with Penrose. I don't play with sidetone on so I didn't notice any white noise.

Only issues for me have to deal with comfort. The weight of the headset is ok and disperesed fairly well, but the headband is a little ridgid. This may be something that breaks in a bit or I get used to, remains to be seen.

The earpads are decent, better than Penrose. But they still were a little uncomfortable after a few hours of gaming. I think I will probably upgrade to wicked cushions when they release.

Overall very pleased and definitely worth the upgrade. They will be even better once we can adjust eq.

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #1,656 of 4,481

I'll watch his reviews just to get impressions but it's really tough to get through his videos. Am I the only one? He just looks like a 40 year old, trying to act like the personality of a 25 year old.

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #1,657 of 4,481
I'm definitely not trying to get into beef/drama with any one or any channel. He's entitled to his opinion of course.

Yes, I actually called him out in the comments, and he replied. I normally enjoy his reviews but he dismissed measurements more than once which to me screams insecurity. "We're gamers we don't need measurements!" :rolling_eyes: Why even bring it up and really turned me off from his channel. Don't get me started how many times he recommends Wicked Cushions... okay I said enough.

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #1,658 of 4,481
I'll watch his reviews just to get impressions but it's really tough to get through his videos. Am I the only one? He just looks like a 40 year old, trying to act like the personality of a 25 year old.
I've also watched his reviews and I don't really like his approach to it. Its a bit too much in my opinion. I understand that he is trying to brand himself and trying to be a bit different so I guess that's good and maybe some people like it.

I like the more calm approach so I can hear details about the items and the reasoning without all the "show" and "one liners" etc. But I really cant fault him for being different. Also I have no issues with him not using "data" and "graphs" and I don't see why its a problem that he tries to make that part clear. I don't think he was doing it to bash those who do, even though it might have come off like that. I think he was just trying to separate himself from others.

I like the way GadgetryTech is doing it. Also like his new video on the Maxwell, it was the first thing I watched when I woke up today. :)

https://twitter.com/TheTechne1/status/1359542468191154184
He should be 39/40 now. Not that I think it matters.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #1,659 of 4,481
I've also watched his reviews and I don't really like his approach to it. Its a bit too much in my opinion. I understand that he is trying to brand himself and trying to be a bit different so I guess that's good and maybe some people like it.

I like the more calm approach so I can hear details about the items and the reasoning without all the "show" and "one liners" etc. But I really cant fault him for being different. Also I have no issues with him not using "data" and "graphs" and I don't see why its a problem that he tries to make that part clear. I don't think he was doing it to bash those who do, even though it might have come off like that. I think he was just trying to separate himself from others.

I like the way GadgetryTech is doing it. Also like his new video on the Maxwell, it was the first thing I watched when I woke up today. :)

https://twitter.com/TheTechne1/status/1359542468191154184
He should be 39/40 now. Not that I think it matters.

I watch his reviews just like @dougq - more for impressions and to get a general overview. I'll be honest I don't mind him. As you mentioned, he's going for a certain style and he's targeting the general audience and not "audiophiles". And so his reviews are more high-level and user experience-focused. I just think he unintentionally rubbed people the wrong way with his take on the technical stuff - which I think is because it's just out of his wheelhouse.

Feb 24, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #1,660 of 4,481
I love the Mobius gel pads so I hope they do that for Maxwell as well.

On another note, there are some reports on the Audeze subreddit about the Maxwell mic sounding bad in Discord. Some of it is probably the user mixing Discord's noise cancelling / echo suppression with Maxwell's, which is a bad idea, but even in some cases where the user allegedly disabled all of Discord's noise suppression, it still sounded not as great as the demos on youtube indicate.

Maybe deserves its own thread, but I'd like if those with Maxwells in hand can comment on what settings, both on Discord and Maxwell side, are best for good mic output

FWIW, I was playing COD with the boys last night and they mentioned my ingame audio being much clearer than the discord audio one (and I was using a random headset), not sure if it has to do with settings or not having Nitro etc. I will test the maxwell with discord when I get mine next week. On a related note, wish the audio controls and volume controls for discord were more intuitive, not too happy with their UI to be honest

Feb 24, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #1,661 of 4,481
I watch his reviews just like @dougq - more for impressions and to get a general overview. I'll be honest I don't mind him. As you mentioned, he's going for a certain style and he's targeting the general audience and not "audiophiles". And so his reviews are more high-level and user experience-focused. I just think he unintentionally rubbed people the wrong way with his take on the technical stuff - which I think is because it's just out of his wheelhouse.
I do wanna add though, I don't see him as very trustworthy. To me, he does come off as being paid for his opinion, at least to some extent. Like I think he could just not mention something that he found was bad because he don't wanna upset the company. Ofc this is just my impression of him, I could be dead wrong. Also I only watched a handful of his videos. So I probably don't even have the full scope of what he does.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #1,662 of 4,481
I think at this point it's best to shift gears back towards the Maxwell discussion. So far it seems we all agree it's been a great headset for those who have received it

Feb 24, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #1,663 of 4,481
Is audio working via USB wired connection on Mac Book Pro or did I miss something? I could only get audio from the dongle. Also, does the Apple TV app use spatial audio because I swear Fury Road sounds awesome. It sure sounded like multi channel audio using Maxwell.

Feb 24, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #1,664 of 4,481
Is audio working via USB wired connection on Mac Book Pro or did I miss something? I could only get audio from the dongle. Also, does the Apple TV app use spatial audio because I swear Fury Road sounds awesome. It sure sounded like multi channel audio using Maxwell.
Works fine for me. By default the headset charges when plugged in to the Mac. Be sure to power it on, then grant permission to the device when you get the prompt. From there both Game and Chat streams work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back