Audeze - Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v63 and HQ v109)
Feb 23, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #1,621 of 4,480
I will say that an unexpected benefit of sidetone is that when you don't have the boom mic plugged in, it acts sort of like the transparency mode found on many ANC headphones and lets you hear outside noise better. Only really noticeable with the onboard mics, not the boom mic, for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #1,622 of 4,480
Can USB wired be used with the Xbox if you have the Xbox version or do you have to use the dongle? I didn't see this in the FAQ. Really good compromise, if so.
The dongle utilizes the Microsoft security chip, which is why it works on Xbox. USB wired will not work, as the security chip is not on the headset, but on the USB dongle.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #1,623 of 4,480
Audeze would like to thank all of you for patience and support for Maxwell! We are receiving great feedback. Our most recent firmware update for Maxwell PlayStation V32 will be available early next week – this is more advanced than the firmware version that was shipped on the recent Maxwells for PlayStation, so you should do this update. We've enabled 24bit/96khz Hi-Res Audio playback through the USB wired connection, meaning High Resolution playback is now available on all connection types!

Based on your feedback, we have enabled simultaneous audio playback from two sources, either USB wired + BT, or Aux + BT. If you need to use two audio devices at the same time, please use one of those configurations. Dongle + BT is not possible.

Additionally, we have made the default mode for Sidetone as OFF instead of ON. So when you do the firmware update or use the headset for the very first time, sidetone will be OFF. However, if you turn sidetone on, Maxwell will remember the status upon power off (so it will power on with sidetone ON in this case).

For the Audeze HQ app, both the Windows and Mac versions are now available for download on our site, but do not yet support custom EQs. But that will be coming soon – it’s next on our list. The Android app is ready and has been submitted to the Play Store for review. IOS app will be available in Q2.

And thanks again for your enthusiasm!

I appreciate you fine folks listening to our bellyaching suggestions and working pretty fast to implement them, which is why I was confident in ordering the Maxwell sight unseen, looking forward to how the FW and feature set improves over time. I guess it's easy to forget the relative size of the audeze team compared to the likes of Logitech and Razer, which makes it all the more impressive in my eyes :)

Feb 23, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #1,624 of 4,480
Audeze would like to thank all of you for patience and support for Maxwell! We are receiving great feedback. Our most recent firmware update for Maxwell PlayStation V32 will be available early next week – this is more advanced than the firmware version that was shipped on the recent Maxwells for PlayStation, so you should do this update. We've enabled 24bit/96khz Hi-Res Audio playback through the USB wired connection, meaning High Resolution playback is now available on all connection types!

Based on your feedback, we have enabled simultaneous audio playback from two sources, either USB wired + BT, or Aux + BT. If you need to use two audio devices at the same time, please use one of those configurations. Dongle + BT is not possible.

Additionally, we have made the default mode for Sidetone as OFF instead of ON. So when you do the firmware update or use the headset for the very first time, sidetone will be OFF. However, if you turn sidetone on, Maxwell will remember the status upon power off (so it will power on with sidetone ON in this case).

For the Audeze HQ app, both the Windows and Mac versions are now available for download on our site, but do not yet support custom EQs. But that will be coming soon – it’s next on our list. The Android app is ready and has been submitted to the Play Store for review. IOS app will be available in Q2.

Congrats on launching your new headphone which seems extremely exciting, if not for one issue about the sidetone feature. I am a current Penrose user, and eager to upgrade to the Maxwell, except for the following reason which IMO entirely kills the usefulness of the sidetone feature on the Maxwell.

On the Penrose, muting the mic turns the sidetone off, which is extremely useful for two reasons
- with a single action (mute), one can both mute the mic and disable the sidetone and the strong hiss that comes with it so that you can enjoy hiss-free music
- because of the hiss (or slight noise breathing) when on, the sidetone can be used as hint to know if the mic is muted or not (without touching the headphone mute button -- which also requires you to know exactly which position it should be)

Thanks to @GadgetryTech awseome in-depth review, i understand that on the Maxwell, "oddly enough" (quoting), the sidetone will stay on even if the mic is muted. As @Mad Lust Envy and other users explained, this new "feature" allows for a "transparency mode", for those who do not like the feeling of closed back headphones or who want to interact with people in the room without shouting while having the mic muted, which was not possible on the Penrose (and i understand this is seen as an improvement / new feature). I also understand that the way to turn sidetone on/off is a double press on the chat/game wheel.

This leaves users who want the sidetone during chat/VC calls but not while listening to music to do the the following:
- listen to music without hiss
- enter VC call: double press chat/game wheel + unmute mic
- end of VC call: mute mic + double press chat/game wheel
etc... (this may happen 5 to 10 times a day in my case).

One could argue that users like me shoud just stop using the sidetone if they do not want to double click all day long on the chat/game mix wheel, but because of the boom being flexible (compared to e.g. Turtle Beach), the mic audio level will vary a lot -- at least on my penrose unit -- and i need the sidetone to know how well it is placed and how strong i am talking.

I would like to offer a suggestion: the double press on the chat/game mix shall allow to select between three modes:
- Sidetone always ON
- Sidetone always OFF
- Sidetone linked to microphone mute status

This would allow for covering all use cases, both happy Penrose-style sidetone users and "transparency mode" lovers.

I sincerely hope that you will consider this suggestion, and make the Maxwell the perfect headphone.

Thanks !

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #1,625 of 4,480
I don't know how bad the hiss was with the Penrose, and obviously some people are more sensitive, but the only way I can hear any sort of sidetone hiss with the Maxwell (with the boom mic attached) is with nothing playing. I don't see how you'd even hear it with music playing

Feb 23, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #1,628 of 4,480
Congrats on launching your new headphone which seems extremely exciting, if not for one issue about the sidetone feature. I am a current Penrose user, and eager to upgrade to the Maxwell, except for the following reason which IMO entirely kills the usefulness of the sidetone feature on the Maxwell.

On the Penrose, muting the mic turns the sidetone off, which is extremely useful for two reasons
- with a single action (mute), one can both mute the mic and disable the sidetone and the strong hiss that comes with it so that you can enjoy hiss-free music
- because of the hiss (or slight noise breathing) when on, the sidetone can be used as hint to know if the mic is muted or not (without touching the headphone mute button -- which also requires you to know exactly which position it should be)

Thanks to @GadgetryTech awseome in-depth review, i understand that on the Maxwell, "oddly enough" (quoting), the sidetone will stay on even if the mic is muted. As @Mad Lust Envy and other users explained, this new "feature" allows for a "transparency mode", for those who do not like the feeling of closed back headphones or who want to interact with people in the room without shouting while having the mic muted, which was not possible on the Penrose (and i understand this is seen as an improvement / new feature). I also understand that the way to turn sidetone on/off is a double press on the chat/game wheel.

This leaves users who want the sidetone during chat/VC calls but not while listening to music to do the the following:
- enter VC call: double press chat/game wheel + unmute mic
- end of VC call: mute mic + double press chat/game wheel
etc... (this may happen 5 to 10 times a day in my case).

One could argue that users like me shoud just stop using the sidetone if they do not want to double click all day long on the chat/game mix wheel, but because of the boom being flexible (compared to e.g. Turtle Beach), the mic audio level will vary a lot -- at least on my penrose unit -- and i need the sidetone to know how well it is placed and how strong i am talking.

I would like to offer a suggestion: the double press on the chat/game mix shall allow to select between three modes:
- Sidetone always ON
- Sidetone always OFF
- Sidetone linked to microphone mute status

This would allow for covering all use cases, both happy Penrose-style sidetone users and "transparency mode" lovers.

I sincerely hope that you will consider this suggestion, and make the Maxwell the perfect headphone.

Thanks !

I love this idea. Idk why MLE pushed back on this so hard. 1 action to mute and cut side tone just makes sense.

Feb 23, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #1,630 of 4,480
Mic suppression? Is that another term for sidetone?
No. Noise Suppression is for suppressing ambient sounds and focuses on your voice. Like our FILTER speaker. It can block out loud noises like vacuums, dogs barking, babies crying, etc. That way you don't annoy others with your environmental noises.

Feb 23, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #1,631 of 4,480
No. Noise Suppression is for suppressing ambient sounds and focuses on your voice. Like our FILTER speaker. It can block out loud noises like vacuums, dogs barking, babies crying, etc. That way you don't annoy others with your environmental noises.
AI noise suppression doh! why didn't I realise. Good to know anyway.

Feb 23, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #1,632 of 4,480

Does the mic work if you use USB + BT or Aux + BT

Feb 23, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #1,633 of 4,480
According to this interview:
https://www.androidauthority.com/audeze-interview-ces-3264287/
Audeze do intend to release Mobius v2 or whatever it will be called upon release. They are waiting for some new chip-sets which are in development to come out in order to take atvantage of new feature sets. This is going to be a killer product IMHO.

Feb 24, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #1,634 of 4,480

Users who are viewing this thread

Back