Audeze - Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v63 and HQ v109)
Feb 21, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #1,473 of 4,480
Can i use it just like a standard wired headphone on the PC and not worry about battery life?
Battery is in use when plugged into the standard 3.5mm cable.

But unlike the Penrose, Maxwell has USB audio, so you can leave it plugged into the usb cable, and the PC can pick up two separate Maxwell audio devices, one labelled chat, one labelled game. That way you can set your Discord or other chat program as one device, and your game/default device as the other, and adjust the audio balance between them with the game/chat wheel.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #1,475 of 4,480
@Mad Lust Envy can you please comment on that point ? Especially, the white noise with sidetone on but with muted mic (maxwell vs penrose). You of all people must know best :wink:
With side tone turned down a lot or basically off, there is not noise. This is one of the best improvements made on the Maxwell. Very clean sounding with low noise floor.

Feb 21, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #1,476 of 4,480
@Mad Lust Envy can you please comment on that point ? Especially, the white noise with sidetone on but with muted mic (maxwell vs penrose). You of all people must know best :wink:
Sidetone OFF = You'll be hard pressed to hear anything.

If you want as low noise as possible, don't use sidetone. Personally speaking, I dunno why people care so much about sidetone, outside of initial setup. I would never personally use it on ANYTHING after the first 30 seconds or so of testing my voice output. On any product, Audeze or not. Hearing myself irks me more than not being able to hear myself.

Again, PERSONALLY SPEAKING.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #1,477 of 4,480
Sidetone OFF = You'll be hard pressed to hear anything.

If you want as low noise as possible, don't use sidetone. Personally speaking, I dunno why people care so much about sidetone, outside of initial setup. I would never personally use it on ANYTHING after the first 30 seconds or so of testing my voice output.
Sometimes it helps prevent people from shouting/talking louder than they need to if they hear themself. More of a mental control than anything else.

With that being said, yeah the noise floor is amazing. UPS came through and I got mine two days early. Almost done with the review! Thanks to coffee, no sleep needed lol

Feb 21, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #1,478 of 4,480

But unlike the Penrose, Maxwell has USB audio, so you can leave it plugged into the usb cable, and the PC can pick up two separate Maxwell audio devices, one labelled chat, one labelled game. That way you can set your Discord or other chat program as one device, and your game/default device as the other, and adjust the audio balance between them with the game/chat wheel.
i do have a pretty decent DAC / Amp thats why i'm asking, for the microphone i'd have to connect via USB?

Disassembling and removing the battery the headphone just stops working while connected?

Feb 21, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #1,479 of 4,480
Please refer to the FAQ:

https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/11454018172173

Is the Aux/3.5mm connection passive? Will it work like a normal headset without the unit being powered on?

Maxwell, like the Penrose and Mobius, requires power as it is an active headset on all connection types. Like those headsets, Maxwell utilizes an internal DSP and houses a balanced amplifier for each driver. We suggest common sense in what you plug the Maxwell into with a 3.5mm/aux cable. If you use an amplifier and don’t set the volume accordingly, you can overcharge the circuitry inside the headset. It is highly recommended you either bypass using amplifiers, or set the volume very low and adjust up until you achieve a good balance between the Maxwell’s volume control, and your source gear. Using external amplifiers may be detrimental to sound quality and potentially add more noise and distortion.

Basically, you're not going to get improvement by using AUX with a dac/amp. The best connections are Dongle and USB.

Please do not disassemble the Maxwell. Quick way to void your warranty, and it will not work that way. It requires power to work in ANY connection, period.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #1,480 of 4,480
Sometimes it helps prevent people from shouting/talking louder than they need to if they hear themself. More of a mental control than anything else.

With that being said, yeah the noise floor is amazing. UPS came through and I got mine two days early. Almost done with the review! Thanks to coffee, no sleep needed lol
please post the link in this chat to that review

Feb 21, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #1,482 of 4,480
Please refer to the faq I just posted. First thing mentions dealers.

Feb 21, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #1,483 of 4,480

Say I have it attached via USB C cable (listening via wired mode) to my macbook, can I have it charge while it is being used while watching videos for example?

Feb 21, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #1,484 of 4,480
Say I have it attached via USB C cable (listening via wired mode) to my macbook, can I have it charge while it is being used while watching videos for example?
I'm not Envy, but yes it charges while serving as a USB headset (I tested this on Mac as well).

Feb 21, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #1,485 of 4,480
I'm not Envy, but yes it charges while serving as a USB headset (I tested this on Mac as well).

I take it you have it on hand, you have no idea how much I am looking forward to your review. While I wait for Maxwell, a few days ago I got my hands on both the H6 pro open and closed and you were spot on with your takes on it, but the FR is still not where I want it to be. But one aspect that I really liked on the H6 closed was how immersed I felt within the game, especially battlefield 2042. I hope that is also the case with maxwell, never had a headphone give me quite that sensation within a videogame. Cheers mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back