Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Feb 19, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #1,426 of 4,465
If it works like it does on PC you will get ATMOS on any stereo headphone as long as you have the Dolby Atmos license and the stream service supports it
Dolby Access is not on the Shield TV, so there's no software based way to do it like on Xbox and PC.

If someone wanted the cheapest* option to consume streaming media content with the Maxwell *and* use Dolby Atmos with Headphones concurrently, they should just get an Series S if they don't care about the gaming side.

(*I'm ignoring any kind of HTPC setup)

Feb 19, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #1,427 of 4,465
My impressions:
I used the headset for about 2 hours of gaming. I'm not a reviewer, so I'll focus on the comfort and allow the more hardcore audiophiles to dive deep into the sound.

On comfort, it's say it's better than the stock Penrose, but worst than a modded Penrose (Wicked Cushions with a aftermarket headband).

Weight: The weight of the headset wasn't a problem, but the side of my head did feel some discomfort after about an hour due to the clamp force.

Headband: It's some what a challenge to find the correct position for the headband. The middle was ok, but put pressure on the top of my ear, while the bottom position was too small. For the people who have bigger heads and need the top position, there is some cushion between the band and metal headband so it shouldn't be too uncomfortable at the top position. For me, I stuck to the middle and delt with the discomfort at the top of the ear. I will say, the headband is not the most comfortable material. It's like a hard canvas material with a very cheap/thin PU leather film over it. Hopefully Audeze comes out with some more comfortable upgrades in the future.

Earpads: Are soft to the touch and feel good overall. Definitely got a little hot after a while, but that was expected. Overall, pretty good.

Controls: I still need to get used to this. So no strong feelings here outside of not knowing yet what the different beeps mean when you hold down the volume wheel.

Sound: Like I said, I'm not going to get too deep, but it sounds slightly better than the Penrose. Clarity is great, very low volume floor, and overall was good to go even without EQ. I will say, I solely played MW2 during my play session and the imagine was great, but the sound stage was pretty bad. I was using my Astros right before this and could hear footsteps from longer distances. What you sacrifice in soundstage you make up for in imaging, but I am a bit disappointed they couldn't make bigger improvements to the soundstage. Overall, if you liked the Penrose, you'll like this. It's just not the best for FPS.

Sound isolation: Sound isolation is good. Probably cuts out 30% more sound than the Astro A50s with the mod kit (if you've ever tried those), but I could still hear my fan going fairly well.

Range: I have a 2 bedroom apartment that's about 1100 sqft. With the Penrose, I can make it to about 40% of my apt before it disconnects (my PS5 is at the edge of my apt). With the Maxwell, I can make it basically anywhere in my apartment without it cutting off, BUT the quality drops considerably the further I go. The range with good quality is fairly similar to the Penrose for me, but the outside of that range it's bluetooth level quality sound not 2.4ghz. With the A50s, sound quality doesn't dip until I'm at the polar opposite side of my apt (~90% of the way).

Saving the 2 biggest things for last (good and bad):
Mic: The mic is INCREDIBLE from what my teammates said. The headset comes with the AI filter on medium out of the box, and the initial reaction was "the mic sounds like it's trying to make your voice too clear". I turned it off and BOOM it was perfect. They were saying during the game, the mic was so good it actually threw off their game audio lol. Even with the AI stuff off, another teammate commented that my air purifier in the background is MUCH lower with the new mic.

Problem: The left earcup has a rattle when you pick it up or move it around. It sounds like there's a piece loose inside. Very disappointing. I'm going to send Audeze an email. I don't want this post to be overall negative, which is why I'm putting this last, but I am very sad they didn't catch this quality control miss considering they manually unboxed and updated each headset individually.

Edit on clamp force: I wear blue light filtering glasses when I game, once I took them off the pain went away completely. A bit of a call out for anyone who needs to wear glasses. Metal frames seem to hurt, but plastic frames are ok.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #1,428 of 4,465
To each their own. For me personally, I wasn't a fan of suddenly hearing someone a second or 2 behind me and having to quickly having to reposition myself for that fight. A wider soundstage allows me to be more proactive and track people or even avoid gunfights rather than being reactive and only hearing people close by.

Also, I only play ranked play which is 4v4, so I don't worry about having too many footsteps around me except for the start of the round.

Imaging is critical, I'm not arguing against that, but soundstage is right up there for competitive fps.
Many fps have far more players. COD, Battlefield, etc...

Even hot dropping in Apex results in a lot of footsteps at once.

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #1,429 of 4,465
Many fps have far more players. COD, Battlefield, etc...

Even hot dropping in Apex results in a lot of footsteps at once.

Fair. I did say I only played MW2 for the test and I'd leave the deep analysis for people who do that for a living. But as someone who's playing the competitive ranked playlist on MW2 with the Maxwell on rn, this headset is not great for 4v4 due to the narrow soundstage. If you're playing 16v16, then they could be amazing. The imaging is great, but I've died many times because the person who killed me was too far for me to hear him. In the same scenarios, I would have heard him with my Astros.

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #1,430 of 4,465
Fair. I did say I only played MW2 for the test and I'd leave the deep analysis for people who do that for a living. But as someone who's playing the competitive ranked playlist on MW2 with the Maxwell on rn, this headset is not great for 4v4 due to the narrow soundstage. If you're playing 16v16, then they could be amazing. The imaging is great, but I've died many times because the person who killed me was too far for me to hear him. In the same scenarios, I would have heard him with my Astros.
I'm not sure if that's really a soundstage issue tough, not EQ related. Creative THX does some trickery where you always hear every footstep. But that doesn't mean a wider soundstage, does it? You could have some open backs and with a good (music) soundstage and still not hear the footsteps. Meanwhile, I wouldn't use the THX filter for anything else, for anything outside the FPS genre, because it ruins any cinematic and music experience, even voice.

Afaik, Audeze also planned a gaming EQ preset for the Maxwell.

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #1,431 of 4,465
I'm not sure if that's really a soundstage issue tough, not EQ related. Creative THX does some trickery where you always hear every footstep. But that doesn't mean a wider soundstage, does it? You could have some open backs and with a good (music) soundstage and still not hear the footsteps. Meanwhile, I wouldn't use the THX filter for anything else, for anything outside the FPS genre, because it ruins any cinematic and music experience, even voice.

Afaik, Audeze also planned a gaming EQ preset for the Maxwell.

EQ will help for sure, it did a bit with the Penrose, but the soundstage is definitely limited even compared to other closed backs.

Feb 19, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #1,433 of 4,465
Does it corelate with level of side tone, even on pc?
Yes. Side tone is very useful for closed back headphones, so you can hear your own voice. The embedded mics feed the environmental sound back to the audio path. You can set the gain of this so you can hear more or less sidetone.
The Shield TV supports Atmos over HDMI for speakers, but it does not have Dolby Access or Dolby Atmos for Headphones. It does support 5.1 audio over USB, however.

Does your answer still stand? It takes the Atmos metadata and does some "trickery"? 🧐
No. This will not work. The dolby stream has to be decoded in the host device and set to headset as binaural. We tested the 5.1 over USB when we launched the mobius and it was only 2 channel at that time.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Feb 19, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #1,434 of 4,465
Dolby Access is not on the Shield TV, so there's no software based way to do it like on Xbox and PC.

If someone wanted the cheapest* option to consume streaming media content with the Maxwell *and* use Dolby Atmos with Headphones concurrently, they should just get an Series S if they don't care about the gaming side.

(*I'm ignoring any kind of HTPC setup)
Yes. We have started using this setup even for trade shows.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Feb 20, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #1,438 of 4,465
So just to clarify, if I were to purchase an atmos license for the headset on my computer, the atmos would only work on the headset when connected to the computer? It would not work when connected to the 2019 NVIDIA Shield Pro via dongle or to the LG CX via Bluetooth?
yea i think the license is for the pc only. i think the xbox version has a dolby license embedded

Users who are viewing this thread

Back