Audeze - Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v63 and HQ v107 beta on June/12/24)
Dec 9, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #46 of 4,477
Oh missed it, Audeze answered it here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-maxwell.966017/#post-17285410

@vsg28, Sir Guy, any plans to get these in for review? :)
Yes, Audeze specifically requested I review this instead of our usual gaming headset editor. It'll be the first such product I officially review in January even though I've obviously used plenty of other such gaming headsets from most brands. I'll share my impressions with you guys as and when I get the set in.

Dec 9, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #47 of 4,477
What was done to address the bluetooth range and stability issue of the Pendrose model that this replaces? Or does it have the same bluetooth problems?

Also, what type of quality can one expect if it is connected to the Xbox Series X? Is it 24-bit/96kHz?

If the bluetooth range issues are fixed, i might be interested for my Xbox Series X.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #49 of 4,477
Daaaaaaaaaaaamn i have been starting to save up for a used pair of lcd-2 closed back (maybe save some more for a pair of lcd-xc) and a boom mic cable to use for music and gaming. But if these review good i might save a few dollars and get them instead. Interesting to hear the reviews for music too.

Dec 9, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #52 of 4,477
Can you use a usb A adapter on the dongle for the PS5 version? Or is it not going to work at the same time as the upcoming PSVR2?
It may in fact be required for the Maxwell. A pre-production Maxwell with beta firmware just arrived at HFHQ and I took it for a quick spin over a couple of hours. In my time with it the dongle didn't output audio when connected to the USB-C jack, and an included USB-A to USB-C adapter that came in the box was needed to get me going. I'm not yet familiar with the PSVR2's cable requirements, but the original PSVR takes up most of my USB ports when in use.

Meanwhile USB-C straight from a computer worked like a champ.

Dec 9, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #53 of 4,477
It may in fact be required for the Maxwell. A pre-production Maxwell with beta firmware just arrived at HFHQ and I took it for a quick spin over a couple of hours. In my time with it the dongle didn't output audio when connected to the USB-C jack, and an included USB-A to USB-C adapter that came in the box was needed to get me going. I'm not yet familiar with the PSVR2's cable requirements, but the original PSVR takes up most of my USB ports when in use.

Meanwhile USB-C straight from a computer worked like a champ.
Sounds like a crossed wire somewhere. Literally.

@Audeze allowing for this issue potentially being because pre-production/beta, can you confirm please this isn't a hardware issue that'll affect production models?

Dec 9, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #56 of 4,477
A question please. If I buy the PS version and pair it with iPad through bluetooth. Apple Music already has Dolby Atmos. Will Maxwell work with the Dolby Atmos tracks on Apple Music?

Dec 9, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #57 of 4,477
Is the warranty the usual Audeze one i.e. 1 year cosmetic and 3 years on the drivers?

Dec 9, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #58 of 4,477
Sounds like a crossed wire somewhere. Literally.
The Maxwell page shows the USB-C dongle plugged directly into a PS5, so it may be chalked up to pre-release. Or perhaps I'm messing up a setting somewhere.

A few quick early (pre-production) impressions:
  • They feel extremely solid in the hand. Pad swapping has been vastly improved over the experience with my Mobius.
  • As cliched as it may be, I forgot I was wearing headphones. There's a quite natural, organic feel to the sound that just felt "right" while gaming the past two nights.
  • Out of the box they're great for music listening so far, but admittedly I look forward to being able to EQ it a touch.
  • I like the new headband system but I did need to insert a shallow spacer between the strap and my head to get what felt like the perfect fit.
It's tough to coordinate a multiplayer game session so I haven't had a chance to test either mic yet, but hopefully that'll be possible over the weekend. I also want to sit down soon and try a movie (Windows, Atmos) to see how that is.

Dec 9, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #59 of 4,477
I'm still waiting, but expecting this to work, to confirm that bt + wireless can still work simultaneously.

I'm also curious whether it support by multipoint while using ldac. Honestly the bt chip is interesting as I'm not seeing anything comparable on the market yet so hard to gauge what it can do.

Dec 9, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #60 of 4,477
The Maxwell page shows the USB-C dongle plugged directly into a PS5, so it may be chalked up to pre-release. Or perhaps I'm messing up a setting somewhere.

A few quick early (pre-production) impressions:
  • They feel extremely solid in the hand. Pad swapping has been vastly improved over the experience with my Mobius.
  • As cliched as it may be, I forgot I was wearing headphones. There's a quite natural, organic feel to the sound that just felt "right" while gaming the past two nights.
  • Out of the box they're great for music listening so far, but admittedly I look forward to being able to EQ it a touch.
  • I like the new headband system but I did need to insert a shallow spacer between the strap and my head to get what felt like the perfect fit.
It's tough to coordinate a multiplayer game session so I haven't had a chance to test either mic yet, but hopefully that'll be possible over the weekend. I also want to sit down soon and try a movie (Windows, Atmos) to see how that is.
That's enough positive points for me to want to order - now hurry up UK retailers - get your stock allocation so I can preorder :stuck_out_tongue:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back