Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Sep 1, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #3,946 of 4,467
It's a long weekend, so I wanna put this here in case there are still some of you with desync issues:

The recent firmware and HQ update may have caused a de-sync between your Maxwell and dongle. We have specified in our patch notes that your dongle will likely need to be paired again, so here are the instructions for your convenience!

On your PC or Mac machine, download and install the Audeze HQ software for Mac or Windows (you must use v80 or higher).

Windows: https://www.audeze.com/pages/audeze-hq-download-windows

Mac: https://www.audeze.com/pages/audeze-hq-download-mac

Once you have ensured you are on v80, both the headset and dongle must be updated to V51. One at a time. Meaning that the headset must be connected via a USB cable to update to V51, then disconnecting the headset, connecting the dongle, and updating that to V51. They are two separate updates, and both must be done. HQ must be on v80.

From this point, we recommend restarting your computer. Once restarted, open up HQ, and from the "Settings" tab in the software, you'll see a button that says "Pair Dongle" (if your dongle is already paired to your headset, you'll have to power your headset OFF before the button will show).

1693609308939.png

When you click the Pair Dongle button, a new prompt will appear. Follow all on screen instructions to finish dongle pairing.

1693609318273.png

If this doesn't help, please uninstall and reinstall the Audeze HQ app and try the software method again and this should remedy this issue in most cases.

Hardware fallback:

In case the above pairing instructions do not work, you can re-pair using a button on the dongle.

Insert a paperclip into the small hold on the side of your dongle and click the button once. Once the LED begins to flash, triple tap the power button on your headset. You'll hear a "pairing" voice prompt in the headset.

Your headset may power off and power back on after it re-pairs.

1693609334926.png

(if your dongle is already paired to your headset, you'll have to power your headset OFF before the button will show)

Why pair all together again when both are already paired? Does it change anything?

Sep 3, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #3,948 of 4,467
I have to say, this is the best microphone on a headset I've ever used.

In Discord I keep getting questions about what microphone I am using (because the previous one captured everything and everyone who entered my room). I would love it if they were able to reduce the weight a bit more.

Sep 3, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #3,949 of 4,467
After a couple of days of using the Maxwells as my daily driver, I absolutely love them.

What are everyone’s opinion of using them as gaming headphones with BT vs. the USB-C dongle? How much of a hit do you get for that compromise?

Sep 3, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #3,951 of 4,467
After a couple of days of using the Maxwells as my daily driver, I absolutely love them.

What are everyone’s opinion of using them as gaming headphones with BT vs. the USB-C dongle? How much of a hit do you get for that compromise?
In my experience I think it stayed around the same, the usb dongle uses Bluetooth and that means the comparison depends on pc drivers and your network card (or mobo) on your pc.

The battery life seemed to be the same in either case. Audio seemed to be the same, but I never played music when on Bluetooth with them as I don’t use them for music.

Sep 3, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #3,953 of 4,467
In my experience I think it stayed around the same, the usb dongle uses Bluetooth
That can’t be right if you use the dongle if it has its own 2.4GHz wireless signal that outputs 24 bit 96kHz? BT can’t do that.

Sep 3, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #3,954 of 4,467
That can’t be right if you use the dongle if it has its own 2.4GHz wireless signal that outputs 24 bit 96kHz? BT can’t do that.
The dongle doesn't use 2.4GHz, it uses the LC3plus Bluetooth codec, which is capable of 24/96

Sep 3, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #3,955 of 4,467
using the Maxwells as my daily driver.
Can you stop replying like this?
The dongle doesn't use 2.4GHz, it uses the LC3plus Bluetooth codec, which is capable of 24/96
I’m confused now - what is this talk of the 2.4ghz wireless signal then because I thought it had both and you’re able to switch between the two.

Sep 3, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #3,956 of 4,467
Can you stop replying like this?

I’m confused now - what is this talk of the 2.4ghz wireless signal then because I thought it had both and you’re able to switch between the two.

The Penrose had both, so that might be where the confusion was. That’s why the Penrose could play audio from the dongle and from Bluetooth simultaneously, they were separate signal paths. The only wireless on the Maxwell is Bluetooth, and the dongle uses Bluetooth.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #3,957 of 4,467
The Penrose had both, so that might be where the confusion was. That’s why the Penrose could play audio from the dongle and from Bluetooth simultaneously, they were separate signal paths. The only wireless on the Maxwell is Bluetooth, and the dongle uses Bluetooth.
Gotcha thanks for clearing that up!

Sep 4, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #3,958 of 4,467

What I'm finding frustrating is that this is not readily communicated.

It's constantly touted vaguely as 'lossless wireless' - and we keep seeing the constant 'simultaneous BT' requests coming through, because the assumption (due to the vagueness) is that the dongle utilises the 2.4ghz standard and that BT is seperate, when the reality is the dongle is also BT.

Slightly unrelated, but I notice that the new Sony Elite headset and Explore buds are using a new proprietary 'Sony Link' and that the Portal already has this built in, PS5 will need a dongle - my assumpition is that this is exactly the same situation, just renaming it but ultimately using the newer BT codecs?

Sep 4, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #3,959 of 4,467
One of the most expensive Xbox headset with the module which cannot simultaneously connect with 2 devices...but why?

I contacted with spokesman, he sent me a transcript of a discussion between management and main programmer, it goes like this:

- John, how would you fix The SideTone issue?
- just lower it down that much that it will become useless,
- do you think they will notice?
- hell no!

One day after releasing latest firmware:

- John, for duck sake, they have noticed!
- can't be! Just don't reply to their posts for a while, they will forget it, I promise.
- ok

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #3,960 of 4,467
One of the most expensive Xbox headset with the module which cannot simultaneously connect with 2 devices...but why?

I contacted with spokesman, he sent me a transcript of a discussion between management and main programmer, it goes like this:

- John, how would you fix The SideTone issue?
- just lower it down to much that it will become useless,
- do you think they will notice?
- hell no!

One day after releasing latest firmware

- John, for duck sake, they have noticed!
- can't be! Just don't reply to their posts for a while, they will forget it, I promise.
- ok
I appreciate the feeling of release that can come from complaining, but it is ultimately not very satisfying in the long term.

I have a suggestion for you - return the Maxwell if you are still in the return window, or sell it if you cannot return it. Then buy something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back