Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Aug 31, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #3,931 of 4,465
I'm kinda glad that more people have the problem now, hopefully it gives the issue more attention so they actually attempt to fix it. Of course I don't know the technical implications, but I wish they could just apply some processing like their ai noise reduction to the signal before it gets piped back, or something like that.
Also, are there third party microphones that work in the Maxwell? I'm wondering if it's a mic issue or a processing issue, since when not using the boom the noise doesn't seem to be there.
I would assume any mic with a 3.5mm plug would work if you could het it to fit in the specifically cut mic hole. Honestly my friends tell me the boom mic is not all that different than the built in mics.

Aug 31, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #3,932 of 4,465
I think it definitely has something to do with the mic. On the latest firmware, if I turn down the sidetone on to about 30/40% (unusable) when the static noise is only slightly noticeable, the static only plays after I breathe out or move my head left or right. If I sit still and hold my breath then it’s silent. The mic must be picking up the sound of the air and playing it back as the static interference.
That or there is some form of noise gate on the mic that triggers above a certain input level. At this point if they couldn't fix it in a 3 month time span and this current fix is what they came up with, I think it is what it is.

Aug 31, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #3,937 of 4,465
Ok, so I did a quick test, I connected a microphone extension cable with the audeze's boom mic, and I still get the static/noise. However, if I disconnect the boom mic, I still hear noise, even though there isn't anything plugged in to the other end. So I think it's not an issue with the mic, but something about the Maxwell's processing of the audio signal is messed up if it detects that anything is connected.

Aug 31, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #3,938 of 4,465
The Creative Commander Mic has the same mic indention as the Audeze boom mic, and fits the hole perfectly. However, it's TRRS whereas the Audeze mic is TRS. Any harm in trying it?
Mic.png

Aug 31, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #3,939 of 4,465
Ok, so I did a quick test, I connected a microphone extension cable with the audeze's boom mic, and I still get the static/noise. However, if I disconnect the boom mic, I still hear noise, even though there isn't anything plugged in to the other end. So I think it's not an issue with the mic, but something about the Maxwell's processing of the audio signal is messed up if it detects that anything is connected.

If it was processing I would think everyone would have excessive noise using sidetone, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Perhaps a defect with the mic socket itself or a connection inside the Maxwell?

Aug 31, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #3,941 of 4,465
Didn't work. The indention on the Creative mic is just a bit different. It fits but it won't go in far enough to disengage the built-in mic. I would need to trim some plastic on the Creative mic to make it work. Maybe later.

Aug 31, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #3,942 of 4,465
Didn't work. The indention on the Creative mic is just a bit different. It fits but it won't go in far enough to disengage the built-in mic. I would need to trim some plastic on the Creative mic to make it work. Maybe later.
I have a mic from a cooler master mh670, curiously enough if I plug it to my mic extension, that does work with the Maxwell's boom mic, it doesn't work at all, even though the plug seems to be identical.

Aug 31, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #3,944 of 4,465
@Audeze I can’t get the Maxwell to connect to my iPad Pro with a USB-C cable. No issues of doing this with the Focal Bathys. Anyone have any advice?

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #3,945 of 4,465
It's a long weekend, so I wanna put this here in case there are still some of you with desync issues:

The recent firmware and HQ update may have caused a de-sync between your Maxwell and dongle. We have specified in our patch notes that your dongle will likely need to be paired again, so here are the instructions for your convenience!

On your PC or Mac machine, download and install the Audeze HQ software for Mac or Windows (you must use v80 or higher).

Windows: https://www.audeze.com/pages/audeze-hq-download-windows

Mac: https://www.audeze.com/pages/audeze-hq-download-mac

Once you have ensured you are on v80, both the headset and dongle must be updated to V51. One at a time. Meaning that the headset must be connected via a USB cable to update to V51, then disconnecting the headset, connecting the dongle, and updating that to V51. They are two separate updates, and both must be done. HQ must be on v80.

From this point, we recommend restarting your computer. Once restarted, open up HQ, and from the "Settings" tab in the software, you'll see a button that says "Pair Dongle" (if your dongle is already paired to your headset, you'll have to power your headset OFF before the button will show).

1693609308939.png

When you click the Pair Dongle button, a new prompt will appear. Follow all on screen instructions to finish dongle pairing.

1693609318273.png

If this doesn't help, please uninstall and reinstall the Audeze HQ app and try the software method again and this should remedy this issue in most cases.

Hardware fallback:

In case the above pairing instructions do not work, you can re-pair using a button on the dongle.

Insert a paperclip into the small hold on the side of your dongle and click the button once. Once the LED begins to flash, triple tap the power button on your headset. You'll hear a "pairing" voice prompt in the headset.

Your headset may power off and power back on after it re-pairs.

1693609334926.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back