Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Oct 11, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #4,096 of 4,444
Have many people tried the Wicked pads? Wondering how they are for comfort but also how the sound is affected if at all.

I have them and enjoy them - they run cooler and the sound differences are minor and they sounded great. Issue is they do add a little bulk so if the Maxwell is already slightly tight on you, that can be an issue. That was my issue as I have a larger head. Went back to the stock for that reason alone.

Actually selling my wickeds for half off retail, they were used for a week then just put away due to my head size.

Oct 11, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #4,097 of 4,444
Have many people tried the Wicked pads? Wondering how they are for comfort but also how the sound is affected if at all.
Definitely more comfortable, much cooler, and ears further away means ears won’t touch the headphones, though if you already have clamping force issues then this will make the problem worse (pads are much thicker). The sound is a tiny bit different, but easily corrected with EQ if you don’t like the changes.

Oct 11, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #4,098 of 4,444
I have them and enjoy them - they run cooler and the sound differences are minor and they sounded great. Issue is they do add a little bulk so if the Maxwell is already slightly tight on you, that can be an issue. That was my issue as I have a larger head. Went back to the stock for that reason alone.

Actually selling my wickeds for half off retail, they were used for a week then just put away due to my head size.
If anything mine are a touch loose. I’ll order from Amazon if I decide to try them that way if I have the same issue as you I can just return for full refund.
Definitely more comfortable, much cooler, and ears further away means ears won’t touch the headphones, though if you already have clamping force issues then this will make the problem worse (pads are much thicker). The sound is a tiny bit different, but easily corrected with EQ if you don’t like the changes.
Cheers. Sounds like I should give them a go. I think my ears do touch and it’s making them a bit uncomfortable at the moment

Oct 13, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #4,102 of 4,444
Hi Jsmiler,
you are right: it was the side tone being on. I a not a gamer and did not have a clue about what that was, so had to educate myself. I must have switched it on accidentally
Unless it is the usual brain adaptation, the headphone seems to improve with the time. Maybe needs to break a bit. It required some EQ to tame a bit its gaming nature but it is very pleasant. What it is not entirely convincing is its behaviour with complex programs, like big orchestral forte, where it seems to lose coherence. I need to check if that is a limit of the wireless codec. I tried connecting directly via ubs and seems to be better but it gets rather quiet.

Thanks for the tip.

Oct 14, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #4,106 of 4,444
Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #4,107 of 4,444
I bought the Wicked earpads and like them enough that I recommended to a friend who also likes them:
- i find it very comfortable
- the material touching your skin isn't pleather, so it doesn't "stick" and i had my Penrose's pleather flaking off so i'm less worried about durability
- the ear cup cavity is larger but this is better for me as now my ears don't touch the inside
- i didn't scrutinise the sound differences in an A/B test or anything, there may be a slight difference, but my enjoyment of them for both music and gaming hasn't changed

Oct 19, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #4,108 of 4,444
I agree the Maxwell are impressive as a wireless closed headphone. Now it would be interesting to venture in comparing them to open wireless ones, like Deva, and wired ones (of course wiring the Maxwell as well as it would be unfair otherwise).
As you may have guessed, I cannot care the less bout gaming, I am only interested in SQ and I am trying to understand what is the real Maxwell's value for money, even taking portability out of scope, in that department. I cannot see any active discussion about this. All my wired headphones are either vintage planar or staxes. These Maxwell cannot touch neither my omega nor my lambda and a coupe of old planars have an linearity and HF refinement the Maxwell cannot dream of. However I see a new wave of planars (including the Maxwell) storming the market and I am really interest on them.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #4,109 of 4,444
A Sundara (which is the same price) is more resolving, 100%. Now if you want to talk about comparisons to closed backs, things are more difficult. There is not a single closed back planar in this region that i know of (and the Maxwell has a very good sound isolation in comparison to other closed backs). The SJY Starry Night is more resolving (and very hard to drive), it's also a bit more expensive, but some models have dropped in price. I have not heard a lot of (closed back) dynamic drivers in that lower price region. It's been a while since i sold my Elegia, no idea how it would compare.
The Deva is most likely way worse than the Maxwell, Joshua Valour reviewed it a while ago and it wasn't impressive (bright, metallic timbre, loose bass, cheap build). The Ananda BT is there, probably more resolving, but i heard it has connection and build quality issues, of course it's also an open back. Focal Bathys is the thing that comes to mind, but it costs double, and i read that people prefer the sound of the Maxwell.
If you factor in the isolation and that it's wireless, with an extremely long battery life, there is no competitor when it comes to sound. I didn't even talk about the mic, because i don't use it at all.

P.s. Wiring the Maxwell does nothing for it since it uses it's build in stuff all the time, i actually got hickups and some issues when i plugged it into my RME ADI-2.

Oct 19, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #4,110 of 4,444
A Sundara (which is the same price) is more resolving, 100%. Now if you want to talk about comparisons to closed backs, things are more difficult. There is not a single closed back planar in this region that i know of (and the Maxwell has a very good sound isolation in comparison to other closed backs). The SJY Starry Night is more resolving (and very hard to drive), it's also a bit more expensive, but some models have dropped in price. I have not heard a lot of (closed back) dynamic drivers in that lower price region. It's been a while since i sold my Elegia, no idea how it would compare.
The Deva is most likely way worse than the Maxwell, Joshua Valour reviewed it a while ago and it wasn't impressive (bright, metallic timbre, loose bass, cheap build). The Ananda BT is there, probably more resolving, but i heard it has connection and build quality issues, of course it's also an open back. Focal Bathys is the thing that comes to mind, but it costs double, and i read that people prefer the sound of the Maxwell.
If you factor in the isolation and that it's wireless, with an extremely long battery life, there is no competitor when it comes to sound. I didn't even talk about the mic, because i don't use it at all.

P.s. Wiring the Maxwell does nothing for it since it uses it's build in stuff all the time, i actually got hickups and some issues when i plugged it into my RME ADI-2.
Thanks.
As wireless dynamic I have the Aonic 50 and they are incredible value. Especially wired via usb, they sound very good. In comparison the Maxwell have an edge on the LF region, where the Aonic do not have the same extension, but the A50 are much more resolving and clean in the HF side. Plus they are way more practical as every day work headphone than maxwell (apat the wearability, transparent mode is excellent when you need it, whilst that hideous side tone is a Larsen generator). All this with EQ on both headphones to try to get the most out of both.
Your point about the Maxwell processing internally the sound, even when wired, seems to support my impression of an "artificially natural" character of them, in the sense that they give me the impression to sound natural by mean of digital artefacts, maybe to compensate for the inadequacy of the bluetooth codecs. If that is true it is a pity it is not possible to drive them directly and see what the drivers are capable of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back