Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Aug 17, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #3,796 of 4,456
Maxwell supports 16/24 bit 48khz and 96khz signals. Make sure the conversion is being done properly on your source end. 44.1/88khz are not supported.

This is why you only see 48khz and 96khz options available.

Hi

Was about to finally order one of these to update my Penrose (which does support 16/44.1 and 24/44.1)

Are there any plans to support in the future as that's otherwise a pretty serious omission to not support the most common audio format which is CD redbook standard 16/44.1.
Resampling from 44.1 to 48 or 96 is generally a bad idea.

Thanks

Aug 17, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #3,797 of 4,456
Bypassing SRC means the Maxwell is trying to play 44.1 with those files, meaning you'll have issues.

The Maxwell does not take advantage of a true exclusive mode. I have found this out through this. A second advantage of the excusive mode is that it eliminates a second volume to manage. Music app volume, windows volume/Maxwell volume. The issue is that when the Maxwell is set to 24/96 to receive 24/96 content it does not handle a 16/44.1 stream because the up sampling is not does in a way that does not clip the dongle. Considering none of this happens when hardwired via USB-C makes me think its an issue with the dongle or the audio driver servicing the dongle. Who knows. Maybe it can't be fixed.

While I think it's pretty bad that 44.1 isn't supported, setting ASIO4ALL to always convert 44.1 to 48 will take away the issues where the destination doesn't do it properly.

Relevant info below>

https://asio4all.org/always-resample-44-1-48-khz/

Always Resample 44.1<->48 KHz

ASIO4ALL can do real time resampling of 44.1 kHz audio to/from 48 kHz. Resampling will automatically take place whenever ASIO4ALL is opened for 44.1 kHz and the WDM driver does not support this sample rate.
There may, however, be instances in which case an audio device will support 44.1 kHz only by resampling internally. More often than not, however, this resampling quality is extremely poor and/or prone to stability issues. To work around this, you can enable this option.

Aug 17, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #3,798 of 4,456
Any firmware news?
We may have an update on this soon.

@GadgetryTech Hello Joe! one question, after our "friend" Cerny confirmed dolby atmos via hdmi on ps5, do you think they will implement this option for headphones later?
It would be perfect to be able to use it with Maxwell as pc and xbox users do who rave about enabling dolby atmos in most games.

As far as I know, this isn't "real" Dolby Atmos in the traditional sense, as it's using the audio info from the Tempest 3D engine, and putting it into an Atmos container. Tempest 3D engine was inherently a 2 channel technology (with roots in the VR space), which they've used audio trickery to get the Atmos channels to pick up the discrete channels.

In short, since this will not be necessary for headphones as they are already utilizing the Tempest engine for headphone benefits to its fullest, putting it into an Atmos container for headphones will not gain you any extra benefit.

This isn't officially bespoke Dolby generated processing.

That being said, there's not much Sony from allowing Atmos for headphones to be on PS5 (it'd have to be a software based version, which has its processing downsides), outside of it being a competing technology to Tempest 3D, which they've sunk funding into making it what it is. May be a conflict of interest there. At least with the new update, it is still leveraging its Tempest engine. That and licensing, etc.

Just a personal assumption. I could be way off base, and they could be looking into it in the future. Who knows?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #3,799 of 4,456
@GadgetryTech Hello Joe! one question, after our "friend" Cerny confirmed dolby atmos via hdmi on ps5, do you think they will implement this option for headphones later?
It would be perfect to be able to use it with Maxwell as pc and xbox users do who rave about enabling dolby atmos in most games.
Even though it's unlikely, anything is possible. With this update they are just using an "atmos output" as a transport mechanism so home receivers can actually benefit from height objects built in the tempest 3D audio engine. Before, it was stuck with 7.1 as a max, so all of the height channels were mixed down into surround.

The Tempest engine is actually quite good, and very comparable to Atmos when it comes to headphones. They use a different HRTF (audio transfer algorithm) for converting it all into 2 channel headphone mixes, but it comes down to personal preference at that point. In some games mastered (converted) to support both spatial audio engines, like Call of Duty, I find Tempest to be slightly warmer/darker sounding, but overall still has a nice vast sound scape. I hope this helps answer your question!

If they did add Atmos for headphones in 1-2 years, your PS5 edition Maxwell would still work fine on it. All of the conversion happens on the console itself. At most, you'd have to purchase an Atmos license for your PS5, but any headset would work with it.

Aug 18, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #3,800 of 4,456
We may have an update on this soon.

As far as I know, this isn't "real" Dolby Atmos in the traditional sense, as it's using the audio info from the Tempest 3D engine, and putting it into an Atmos container. Tempest 3D engine was inherently a 2 channel technology (with roots in the VR space), which they've used audio trickery to get the Atmos channels to pick up the discrete channels.

In short, since this will not be necessary for headphones as they are already utilizing the Tempest engine for headphone benefits to its fullest, putting it into an Atmos container for headphones will not gain you any extra benefit.

This isn't officially bespoke Dolby generated processing.

That being said, there's not much Sony from allowing Atmos for headphones to be on PS5 (it'd have to be a software based version, which has its processing downsides), outside of it being a competing technology to Tempest 3D, which they've sunk funding into making it what it is. May be a conflict of interest there. At least with the new update, it is still leveraging its Tempest engine. That and licensing, etc.

Just a personal assumption. I could be way off base, and they could be looking into it in the future. Who knows?
Lol whoops! Didn't see your reply. You're pretty much spot on.

To elaborate - Sony uses something called Wwise for audio development on games. The dev toolkit allows game developers to create audio objects and render them to either spatial audio engine. Before, they used to have to pick which engine, then the conversion was more crude. Now, it's almost seamless and they perform almost identical to each other. I reached out to some studios to better understand this in the past, and I know studios like Infinity Ward do this kind of thing.

Aug 18, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #3,802 of 4,456
I am now back to using the stock pads on the Maxwell and I feel that the bass response is a bit better/tighter but could be just placebo. I didn't try to use the stock pads for more than 2hours as I typically come to the conclusion that leather pads are really toasty so since JuneI started to use WC pads, it has significantly increased the clamping force but I didn't think about taking them off and doing comparison.

Sometime in July, the side of my head would start to itch and it reminded me of the same issue I had with the WC pads for the penrose but this time around I am constantly at a room temperature of 21-22c instead of 29-30c so sweating is not involved.

WC was kind enough to refund the Penrose pads maybe about a month after I purchased them and they did the same for the Maxwell but I tried to give it more than to see if my skin would adjust but nope.

While I am grateful for WC refunding me for the product that I am not happy with, the tone of their customer service representative leaves a lot to be desired, stating that I am abusing the refund policy to get a free product. It is rather disappointing to be treated like that considering I attempted to give them another chance but I guess it was my mistake for doing so.

I may continue to order pads from them in the future but I'll be sure to use Amazon's own return window instead to keep things simple.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #3,803 of 4,456
I am now back to using the stock pads on the Maxwell and I feel that the bass response is a bit better/tighter but could be just placebo. I didn't try to use the stock pads for more than 2hours as I typically come to the conclusion that leather pads are really toasty so since JuneI started to use WC pads, it has significantly increased the clamping force but I didn't think about taking them off and doing comparison.

Sometime in July, the side of my head would start to itch and it reminded me of the same issue I had with the WC pads for the penrose but this time around I am constantly at a room temperature of 21-22c instead of 29-30c so sweating is not involved.

WC was kind enough to refund the Penrose pads maybe about a month after I purchased them and they did the same for the Maxwell but I tried to give it more than to see if my skin would adjust but nope.

While I am grateful for WC refunding me for the product that I am not happy with, the tone of their customer service representative leaves a lot to be desired, stating that I am abusing the refund policy to get a free product. It is rather disappointing to be treated like that considering I attempted to give them another chance but I guess it was my mistake for doing so.

I may continue to order pads from them in the future but I'll be sure to use Amazon's own return window instead to keep things simple.
I use WC pads myself since I'm adverse to protein leather on my skin, and yeah, there's a bit of a tradeoff in SQ, but it's not enough. I still think the WC sounds good enough, with a bigger boost in personal comfort for me. It does clamp a little more with those pads too, so if clamp is a factor, the stock pads will be more comfy in that regard.

Aug 18, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #3,804 of 4,456
I use WC pads myself since I'm adverse to protein leather on my skin, and yeah, there's a bit of a tradeoff in SQ, but it's not enough. I still think the WC sounds good enough, with a bigger boost in personal comfort for me. It does clamp a little more with those pads too, so if clamp is a factor, the stock pads will be more comfy in that regard.

Its the clamp + the itchy feeling on the pads over time. I game on a 21-22c room, this makes heat/sweat a non factor but the itch is there. The fabric might be the main culprit.

Aug 18, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #3,805 of 4,456
How's the FPS footstep positioning compared to Penrose/Audeze? The latter are terrible for competitive fps gaming.

Aug 18, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #3,807 of 4,456
Bummer, this just happened... It didn't crack, it just separated while hanging off my head.

Attachments

• PXL_20230818_202711152.jpg
    PXL_20230818_202711152.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Aug 18, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #3,808 of 4,456
Bummer, this just happened... It didn't crack, it just separated while hanging off my head.
I see you've submitted a ticket, we'll go ahead and take care of you as soon as possible. Just follow the steps through the support emails.

This issue has only affected a very small pool of units, so please contact us for direct assistance at support@audeze.com if you have this issue.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Aug 18, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #3,810 of 4,456
I see you've submitted a ticket, we'll go ahead and take care of you as soon as possible. Just follow the steps through the support emails.

This issue has only affected a very small pool of units, so please contact us for direct assistance at support@audeze.com if you have this issue.
Thanks, I have, just wanted to vent my extreme sadness. Hopefully it's quick to replace as I do use these for work. Had to quickly scramble to find my crappy ( and superglued ) coolermaster mh0670 and it's just not the same :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back