Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Mar 30, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #2,806 of 4,444
Most dealers and distros are just waiting for us to receive the next shipment, which shipped out to us yesterday. We expect it to arrive next week, barring any delays. This is why we can't provide firm ETA, as shipments have to come to us without delay, then we process and then ship to regional distributors, which then ship to regional dealers. All this takes time. We are shipping as soon as we're able to once we get the actual shipment.
Most dealers and distros are just waiting for us to receive the next shipment, which shipped out to us yesterday. We expect it to arrive next week, barring any delays. This is why we can't provide firm ETA, as shipments have to come to us without delay, then we process and then ship to regional distributors, which then ship to regional dealers. All this takes time. We are shipping as soon as we're able to once we get the actual shipment.
Thank you for the response.
I think it’s clear we are all just really excited to get the headset. When many of us ordered December/January we fully expected to get them by the end of Jan.
Since then we’ve seen delay after delay and really mixed messaging from yourselves.

Seeing people receive orders they placed in March (I am happy for them) makes things even more painful but even now it’s just a bit of a shrug from you guys saying you have no idea what’s going on.
I’m sure if you step back and be honest you will admit you really made a mess of this whole release.

Saying all that I do appreciate you coming on here and replying to the same questions over and over. I just hope we get more consistent, honest, and regular updates going forward.

Edit - I see you updated on Reddit. This is much appreciated

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #2,807 of 4,444
Received the Maxwell today and it's certainly a huge upgrade on all fronts from the Penrose.

However, the sidetone behavior is making me consider returning anyways. In my opinion, if the mic is muted, you shouldn't hear yourself, because the mic should really be muted (at least on the boom mic).
Then again if the mic is on, then you know it by having the sidetone and hearing yourself. Reading the thread back I see Audeze has said they won't be changing this or making it an option in the future and I find that very inconsiderate.

Mar 30, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #2,808 of 4,444
While we appreciate the feedback, and are listening, we cannot make changes because a few people want things a certain way, and a few others want things another way. We can't accommodate for everyone's wants and needs. For every person that wants sidetone to be tied to the mic, there's a person that wants it separate. We can only make specific decisions. Software engineers are working on immediate issues that need time.

We've made decisions and have set the Maxwell to work a specific way, and the user guide is consistent to work in this manner.

Whether it is sidetone preferences, priority system, simultaneous audio, or any other functions as to how Maxwell works at its core, it's not so easy as a quick implementation of changes.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Mar 30, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #2,809 of 4,444
While we appreciate the feedback, and are listening, we cannot make changes because a few people want things a certain way, and a few others want things another way. We can't accommodate for everyone's wants and needs. For every person that wants sidetone to be tied to the mic, there's a person that wants it separate. We can only make specific decisions. Software engineers are working on immediate issues that need time.

We've made decisions and have set the Maxwell to work a specific way, and the user guide is consistent to work in this manner.

Whether it is sidetone preferences, priority system, simultaneous audio, or any other functions as to how Maxwell works at its core, it's not so easy as a quick implementation of changes.
I’m sure it’s much easier said than done, but a software toggle like “sidetone follows mic mute” would guarantee you would never hear this complaint again. :)

Mar 30, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #2,810 of 4,444
I’m sure it’s much easier said than done, but a software toggle like “sidetone follows mic mute” would guarantee you would never hear this complaint again. :)

Might seem simple, but you're talking developing and testing new features on software across multiple platforms, making additional updates to the headphone firmware across two models, and taking time away from working on existing bugs and issues for a relatively small company that is very much not a software company. And that's assuming this is even possible to implement in the chipset they're using.

Mar 30, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #2,811 of 4,444
I've come to accept most of the quirks and/or limitations on the Maxwell and learned to get around them. Does it do everything in the way I would like it to? Nope, but I'm still quite happy. My only remaining issue that I want solved is the noise on the sidetone. If that gets fixed in the next firmware update I'm 100% satisfied with it.

Mar 30, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #2,812 of 4,444
Might seem simple, but you're talking developing and testing new features on software across multiple platforms, making additional updates to the headphone firmware across two models, and taking time away from working on existing bugs and issues for a relatively small company that is very much not a software company. And that's assuming this is even possible to implement in the chipset they're using.
i get that it might not be possible or they might not have the bandwidth to implement it, but it’s not absurd to ask.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #2,813 of 4,444
i get that it might not be possible or they might not have the bandwidth to implement it, but it’s not absurd to ask.

Absolutely. We value customer feedback, and we WANT to make these products work as well for people's needs as we can. We will continue to do what we can, given the limitations imposed by chipsets, software, et al. on this product, and take feedback into account when working on the next one(s).

Mar 31, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #2,816 of 4,444

This kind of situation usually requires configurability...

Mar 31, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #2,817 of 4,444

I initially found it weird getting used to Maxwell’s sidetone behavior, coming from other headsets. But, I’m starting to warm up to it and see why you went in this direction. For example, it’s nice being able to retain some sidetone so I don’t scream like a maniac by accident when other members of the household are sleeping, but also when I don’t want randoms hearing me on the mic at the other end.

The sidetone also works well as a sort of transparency mode as mentioned earlier, and one is only a couple clicks of the lower wheel away from just turning it off if that’s preferred.

Mar 31, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #2,818 of 4,444
Mine just arrived (Thomann, Germany) ordered 28.03.2023.

What a nice feel and look this Headset has wow. It feels really well made and sturdy.
I’m really looking forward testing it out after work.

Is there software for iOS yet?

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #2,819 of 4,444
A question to people with the Xbox version and a PS5-console: How loud is it? Is it ok or to quiet? I have both consoles and got a Xbox Maxwell on preorder here in Europe. I mostly play on the PS5 but I would really like it to work on both consoles. If its working bad on PS5 I might need to change to a PS5 Maxwell.

Mar 31, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #2,820 of 4,444
Good afternoon, @Audeze. I got my Maxwell Xbox, excellent build quality and sound, I really liked the ergonomics and materials. Please modify the application on Android so that not only the headphones themselves, but also the dongle can be updated through it. I have only windows 7 on my old laptop, so drivers are not normally installed on the dongle, it would be very convenient to use the phone directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back