Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Apr 2, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #2,836 of 4,459
Apologies if this has been covered already.

Does the Xbox version work on PS5?

I primarily game on PC but I own both consoles. I don't Play on series x that much, prefer the PS5, but if it supports all three I'll grab that one. Thanks!

Apr 2, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #2,837 of 4,459
Apologies if this has been covered already.

Does the Xbox version work on PS5?

I primarily game on PC but I own both consoles. I don't Play on series x that much, prefer the PS5, but if it supports all three I'll grab that one. Thanks!
It does. Not officially supported, but it works if you plug into a USB A port and change it to PC mode.

Apr 2, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #2,838 of 4,459
If I just want to listen to music with dolby atmos on my mac and iphone, do I have to buy the xbox version (with dolby atmos license IN the headset)? Or I can buy the PS5 version, and purchase license later on a PC? I'm not sure the license purchased on PC would be stored in the headset (therefore works on any supported devices), or only on the PC.

Apr 3, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #2,839 of 4,459
on ios, with the dynamic EQ of Bathys they have about the same tuning, Bathys is technically still the best headphone tho. The Bathys also blows away the maxwell once you use it in usb dac mode on pc, altho the maxwell also benefits being used wired.
Immersive preset on the maxwell is pretty neat tho, ups treble and the bass which alligns better with some of the music I listen to.
For 300 USD the Maxwell is a pretty good sounding headphone tho with plenty of features. I wish the bathys had the amount of features the maxwell has. Will probably end up using the maxwell more than the bathys due to this.
Frankly for the MSRP it's the closed back to beat at that price point. Just wish custom EQ worked through the audeze pc software (or IOS...) but so far I need an android phone to save custom EQ settings to the device (I have EQ software on my pc but that defeats the purpose of using the headset at the office for example)
Hi, in the market for closed back wireless headphones. It seems that most of the wireless/bluetooth headphones sound much better wired than than without. Comparing bathys, maxwell, and (sennheiser momentum 4s if you have them) which would you say have the best sound quality wireless. Really interested in the wireless aspect and dont wanna use any wired headphones anymore, although sound is my priority. I just hope it isnt a huge difference of how they sound wired v wireless.

Apr 3, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #2,840 of 4,459
Received mine yesterday, I love it.
Just two small issues:
- I can't seem to connect the Audeze HQ app on Android to my headphone. It's paired with the phone, it works, but the app can't find the headphones.
- On PC with the dongle, when there's no sound playing and there's suddenly a sound playing, such as music or OS sound, it starts at low volume then get to high volume. How do I fix that ?

Apr 3, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #2,841 of 4,459
Just two small issues:
- I can't seem to connect the Audeze HQ app on Android to my headphone. It's paired with the phone, it works, but the app can't find the headphones.
- On PC with the dongle, when there's no sound playing and there's suddenly a sound playing, such as music or OS sound, it starts at low volume then get to high volume. How do I fix that ?
Did you update them first?

Apr 3, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #2,842 of 4,459
Hi, in the market for closed back wireless headphones. It seems that most of the wireless/bluetooth headphones sound much better wired than than without. Comparing bathys, maxwell, and (sennheiser momentum 4s if you have them) which would you say have the best sound quality wireless. Really interested in the wireless aspect and dont wanna use any wired headphones anymore, although sound is my priority. I just hope it isnt a huge difference of how they sound wired v wireless.
I had to send mine in for RMA so I have not listened to them in a little over a week. I do remember, however, they're being a difference between wired USbC and the dongle. To me, wired sounds better than the dongle. Now wireless via LDAC and not the dongle sounds much more close to wired USBC but wired still has the edge. I'm not saying that the dongle sounds horrible. It just doesn't sound as good as the other two options to me.

Apr 3, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #2,844 of 4,459
If I just want to listen to music with dolby atmos on my mac and iphone, do I have to buy the xbox version (with dolby atmos license IN the headset)? Or I can buy the PS5 version, and purchase license later on a PC? I'm not sure the license purchased on PC would be stored in the headset (therefore works on any supported devices), or only on the PC.
The way Atmos license works is that you need to have the Dolby Access app on your source for the headset to have it enabled. Atmos is not 'stored' on the headset, only the license is on Xbox.

So as long as you have the license (bought previously or buy now on Dolby Access), PS Maxwell will work in the same exact way. The main thing again, get Dolby Access on the windows store.

Just two small issues:

I suggest re-installing the firmware through PC, and making sure both the dongle and headset are on the same firmware. Open Audeze HQ and double click the device version and the update button will re-appear. Make sure HQ is up to date beforehand.

As for the volume issues, yes there is a brief moment of silence before the audio kicks in if the Maxwell audio isn't used for some time. Unless you're referring to something else.

Apr 3, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #2,846 of 4,459
Apr 3, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #2,847 of 4,459
My review of this is up on my site and also on here under Head Gear: https://wolfhawkaudioreviews.com/2023/03/31/audeze-maxwell-gaming-headset/

1. If you do not want to use the boom microphones, you can just unplug them and the onboard mics take over.
2. Super bassy IEMs ? (Under Lows). Did you mean super bassy headphones ?
3. The Immersive mode does nothing with music - This is probably the closest to the very popular target curve.
4. 3.5mm cable if your power dies - This is an active headphone. If there is now power, 3.5 mm will not work. The reason for 3.5 mm cable is to provide compatibility with controllers etc.
5. "I like the metal cups" - This is understandable, but with low latency requirements, metal ear cups and antenna design, it is easier this way.
6. "Treble Boost really does boost the treble from basically nothing" - Resolve has posted the measurements at Headphones.com. Treble boost is really subtle and increases treble by 3 dB compared to Audeze preset. Immersive and Treble boost have the same Treble response.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Apr 3, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #2,848 of 4,459
For the Playstation version, why does it need a toggle for PS5 and PC use? Does the PS toggle give any advantages when using on the PS5?

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #2,849 of 4,459
The way Atmos license works is that you need to have the Dolby Access app on your source for the headset to have it enabled. Atmos is not 'stored' on the headset, only the license is on Xbox.

So as long as you have the license (bought previously or buy now on Dolby Access), PS Maxwell will work in the same exact way. The main thing again, get Dolby Access on the windows store.

I suggest re-installing the firmware through PC, and making sure both the dongle and headset are on the same firmware. Open Audeze HQ and double click the device version and the update button will re-appear. Make sure HQ is up to date beforehand.

As for the volume issues, yes there is a brief moment of silence before the audio kicks in if the Maxwell audio isn't used for some time. Unless you're referring to something else.

That's exactly what I'm refering to. Sometimes there's a brief moment before the audio kicks in, namely at the start of a song.

If there's a solution for that I'd be ecstatic because the headphones have been incredible so far. I'm rediscovering my favorite songs and games with it.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #2,850 of 4,459
@Audeze Does the bitdepth and samplerate change the latency when used in windows? So is 24bit/96kHz higher latency than for example 16/48? I am currently playing guitar through plugins and listening to them via wireless Maxwell - holy crap this is amazing! (Reaper, WASAPI 24/48 - USB connection seems to have a minimally better latency still, but both are easily usable for me.)
Really liking the Maxwell so far, great job Audeze! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back