Audeze - MM-Series - MM-500
Aug 21, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #138 of 365
I assume this headphone are designed to suit studio and mixing engineers who need a stronger clamping force for the headphones to sit securely on their heads while they work, I understand that, but hopefully Audeze will release a new model for casual listening that is more adapted for that purpose as well.
Aren't there already tons of headphones out there for casual listening? This is one of the few high end headphones designed with studio engineers in mind. I also heard people asking where the xlr cable was... I don't think I have ever been in any studio that had a headphone amp, mixer, audio interface, etc. with an xlr output for balanced headphones. Let the mixing engineers have something just for them please :).

Aug 21, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #139 of 365
For every studio engineer there is probably what, 100K casual audiophiles, probably even more, so from manufacturer's standpoint catering for extremely small group of users might not make a lot of business sense.
But honestly, in my many years here I cannot recollect any specific studio phones that were not good for casual listening, contrary studio phones were always the most regarded among head-fiers as the most accurate, naturally sounding, and detailed.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #140 of 365
No 4-pin XLR cable makes complete sense to me. I haven't worked or been round studios and broadcast FOH for years, but I've seen very few mixing consoles with 4-pin XLR connections. Most desks have a 1/4" jack and if that doesn't work for your needs or you need hard left-right channels you use a y-cable from two XLRs from the back of your interface or you get a dedicated headphone amp that runs from the DAC in your interface/board.

Aug 23, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #142 of 365
has any one actually determined if the MM-500 and LCD-5 use the exact same driver.... they sound different.. they have different ear pads, so they should sound different... just curious

Aug 23, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #143 of 365
has any one actually determined if the MM-500 and LCD-5 use the exact same driver.... they sound different.. they have different ear pads, so they should sound different... just curious
They use a completely different driver.

Aug 23, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #145 of 365
they have the same spec except the material...
The LCD-5 uses a sudo-ribon parallel trace diaphragm that is much thinner than the MM500 diaphragm. The magnets may be the same, as could be the fazors, but the diaphragm / traces and tuning / tensioning are not. As far as I know, Audeze has not came out and given a technical explanation as to every deviation between the headphones.

Aug 23, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #146 of 365
The LCD-5 uses a sudo-ribon parallel trace diaphragm that is much thinner than the MM500 diaphragm. The magnets may be the same, as could be the fazors, but the diaphragm / traces and tuning / tensioning are not. As far as I know, Audeze has not came out and given a technical explanation as to every deviation between the headphones.

Apparently its quite a "deviation", as the MM-500 is about $3000 USD : Less then the midrange shouty LCD-5

Perhaps they'll explain that deviation at some point.

Maybe its related to the years the MM500 took to create, according to Audeze.
And unless i miss my guess, the last time a "famous" studio pro was called in to market a Audeze.....was the LCD-1, as it was also marketed as a "studio professional tool", tho the MX-4 was "Highly touted" as a Studio Tool, and in that case, it deserves to be, as its a Pro-Studio Gear.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #147 of 365
Apparently its quite a "deviation", as the MM-500 is about $3000 USD : Less then the midrange shouty LCD-5

Perhaps they'll explain that deviation at some point.
LMAO they both have the same mid-range "shout". It's not a problem to those of us who are not EQ-intolerant :wink:

Aug 23, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #148 of 365
LMAO they both have the same mid-range "shout". It's not a problem to those of us who are not EQ-intolerant :wink:

I seem to be bitten by that horrible audiophile (bug = ( bizarre idea that a set of headphones is/are supposed to be designed to sound good without having to add pads, Thousand dollar cables, or any Eq.

This is why i will always own a Sennheiser HD800S.
It has the clarity of an Abyss, the comfort of the best ever created, and the midrange and soundstage of the gods.
People say..>"where is the BASS"......and here is the answer...>"just bend the headband so that the Headphone's fit become slightly snug" and BOOM, you have that bass you wanted and the best sound that Sennheiser can create and it can run with the big over-priced ponies all night long.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #149 of 365
I seem to be bitten by that horrible audiophile (bug = ( bizarre idea that a set of headphones is/are supposed to be designed to sound good without having to add pads, Thousand dollar cables, or any Eq.

This is why i will always own a Sennheiser HD800S.
It has the clarity of an Abyss, the comfort of the best ever created, and the midrange and soundstage of the gods.
People say..>"where is the BASS"......and here is the answer...>"just bend the headband so that the Headphone's fit become slightly snug" and BOOM, you have that bass you wanted and the best sound that Sennheiser can create and it can run with the big over-priced ponies all night long.
I like my HD800s too.. but its very much different than any Audeze headphone.... there are times to use the HD800s and there are times you want to use your Audeze headphones...

Aug 23, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #150 of 365
I like my HD800s too.. but its very much different than any Audeze headphone.... there are times to use the HD800s and there are times you want to use your Audeze headphones...

Yes.
I didnt compare the HD800S to any Audeze headphone, as the Audeze system is all about Bass SIZE.
So, as i said, the HD800S gets a bad rap, regarding bass quantity, and while its not going to be an Audeze regarding Low End, (except for the LCD-5 which is not a typical Audeze Bass response).....it is also true that the HD800S out of the box sits very loose on the head, and once you solve that, then a beautiful audiophile balanced bass is yours for the cost of the gear :)
Ive owned all the Audeze Headphones, except for the LCD-4. But, the LCD-4Z yes.
My first favorite Headphone is the Original LCD-X, that sounds nothing like the new or recent LCD-X.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back