Audeze - MM-Series - MM-500
Aug 19, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #108 of 365
Still can't make up my mind if it's worth trying. Love LCD-X 2021, but all these comparative reviews and feedback from users on reddit and London CanJam are not very reassuring.
Why can't we just have LCD-X with slightly more details? Seems like even soundstage on MM-500 is smaller, is it like Focal Clear size, or HE6SE?

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #109 of 365
Still can't make up my mind if it's worth trying. Love LCD-X 2021, but all these comparative reviews and feedback from users on reddit and London CanJam are not very reassuring.
Why can't we just have LCD-X with slightly more details? Seems like even soundstage on MM-500 is smaller, is it like Focal Clear size?
It's fine, but I wouldn't be buying this one for soundstage. That's what HD800s and Arya are for. This is for a more smooth/natural kind of sound with a focus on mids.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Aug 19, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #110 of 365
Why can't we just have LCD-X with slightly more details? Seems like even soundstage on MM-500 is smaller, is it like Focal Clear size, or HE6SE?
I think it is worth giving them a try simply for the reduced weight and increased comfort and better build quality over the LCD-X. But I am mixing all the time, so these may not be as important of considerations for you. They are actually the best I have tried for mixing... I find I still have to check on my studio monitors and also on a cheap closed back pair of headphones like the sony mdr 7506, but they really can take me 95% of the way there and I never thought I would be saying that about headphones. Crazy times we live in. I am really happy studio engineers are getting high quality headphones made specifically for them.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #111 of 365
It's fine, but I wouldn't be buying this one for soundstage. That's what HD800s and Arya are for. This is for a more smooth/natural kind of sound with a focus on mids.
Is it safe to say that if we’re currently EQing an LCD-X 2021 and have found a tonal balance we like that the more significant step up in technical performance is in the LCD-5 than the MM-500?

I guess to make it more personal: If I have an LCD-X right now and I want to experience the next “level” of hifi enjoyment. Is that something I can get from the MM-500 or would I be best off saving for LCD-5

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #112 of 365
Is it safe to say that if we’re currently EQing an LCD-X 2021 and have found a tonal balance we like that the more significant step up in technical performance is in the LCD-5 than the MM-500?

I guess to make it more personal: If I have an LCD-X right now and I want to experience the next “level” of hifi enjoyment. Is that something I can get from the MM-500 or would I be best off saving for LCD-5
Yeah that's exactly right. LCD-5 is the step up. MM-500 is more tonally correct, but it's in the same ballpark for technicalities as the lcd-x, so if you EQ that anyways it's not as big of a jump in sound quality

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Aug 19, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #113 of 365

I wouldn't be buying the HD800 for soundstage imaging. The HD800 is all about making things sound farther away to create a big soundstage. If everything is far there can be no near. And that's what the HD800 is. All far, no near. Good soundstage with imaging is about being able to hear near, medium, and far. And the HD800 doesn't do that.

The Audeze headphones get criticized for having a smaller soundstage. But what the Audeze headphones have (when paired with a very good amp and DAC) is layering and imaging. With my Audeze headphones I can hear when the musicians are right up there kissing the microphone, when they're a medium distance away, and when things are far away. And I don't hear those nuances in soundstange distances and imaging with the HD800.

I haven't been able to hear an Arya yet. But the $3K HE1K was all width, poor depth. If everything is wide there can be no far or medium. A soundstage that is like a sideways figure 8 isn't what I want. I would much rather have a narrow horseshoe like Audeze than a wide figure 8.

Aug 19, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #114 of 365
I wouldn't be buying the HD800 for soundstage imaging. The HD800 is all about making things sound farther away to create a big soundstage. If everything is far there can be no near. And that's what the HD800 is. All far, no near. Good soundstage with imaging is about being able to hear near, medium, and far. And the HD800 doesn't do that.

The Audeze headphones get criticized for having a smaller soundstage. But what the Audeze headphones have (when paired with a very good amp and DAC) is layering and imaging. With my Audeze headphones I can hear when the musicians are right up there kissing the microphone, when they're a medium distance away, and when things are far away. And I don't hear those nuances in soundstange distances and imaging with the HD800.

I haven't been able to hear an Arya yet. But the $3K HE1K was all width, poor depth. If everything is wide there can be no far or medium. A soundstage that is like a sideways figure 8 isn't what I want. I would much rather have a narrow horseshoe like Audeze than a wide figure 8.
This is a very good point. When mixing on headphones you don’t want a super wide soundstage.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #115 of 365

Too late for that, own HD800 already and love it.
LCD-X soundstage is all right, better than Focal Clear MG or Hifiman H6SE, but really nothing to brag about. Reading that MM-500 cannot even get to that level is quite disappointing.

Aug 19, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #116 of 365
The HD800 is all about making things sound farther away to create a big soundstage.

Yeah I tend to find the whole conversation about soundstage to be overblown a bit. Certainly for those who want an 'expansive' experience, should probably go for the HD 800 S, and there are many people who love it for exactly that quality. But... I find that overall to be less important to the experience I'm after. I much prefer image distinction and control during busy passages.

Aug 20, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #119 of 365
If they sound as good as they look, then these could be my endgame headphones, but reviewer's impression of strong clamping force make me hesitate, why is it so difficult for manufacturers to get this right? headphones should be comfortable, it doesn't matter how good they sound if they're uncomfortable to wear, but I will test them myself soon and hope they suit both my head and sound taste.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #120 of 365
If they sound as good as they look, then these could be my endgame headphones, but reviewer's impression of strong clamping force make me hesitate, why is it so difficult for manufacturers to get this right? headphones should be comfortable, it doesn't matter how good they sound if they're uncomfortable to wear, but I will test them myself soon and hope they suit both my head and sound taste.

Why is it so hard for manufacturers to get this right:

Clamp affects seal and therefore how the headphone sounds

Everyone’s head is different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back