Audeze MM-100
Dec 16, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #1,336 of 1,466
One initial impression. The bass will happily go lower via EQ than the initial tuning. Based on a review I read I used a couple of different equalisers (PEACE and the one built into Foobar) to see what would happen if I boosted the bass just a little bit. It was a bit tricky to make sure I got it right but the sub bass in particular was deeper without any form of clipping or distortion by a mild dB increase. I tested this out on a Michael Murray organ recording and the 16 and 32 foot organ pipes gave me that visceral experience that you can get from a great organ recording. As well as that 'rumble' you could also hear the distinct bass notes.

I could not reproduce this to the same extent with my Ananda Stealths. When I publish a review of the MM100s I will be using the Ananda's as a comparison. At the moment I am looking for the aspects that matter to me the most in a headphone. They include tonal and timbral accuracy, imaging, sound stage and transparency.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #1,337 of 1,466
Addicted to Audio have also shipped mine out today.
hey wow! good news!

you must already have them by now. but that was really good news! I am happy for you.

if preorders are being fulfilled in Australia, that must mean good things for the rest of the world outside the US too right??

a month ago I was kinda worried when a content creator had to resort to going to a event and "borrow" a pair of MM-100's to get their impressions review out. I assumed all serious headphone youtube channels would have preordered very early to secure an early unit and get their review out first, and since no big channel reviews were up I thought they must still be waiting. maybe we can expect a couple more youtube reviews soon?

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #1,339 of 1,466
New reviews, old production problems 👎

Dec 19, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #1,340 of 1,466
Joshua Valour has a video out:

Dec 23, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #1,341 of 1,466
My review of the MM100s. Is there a dedicated review forum where I can also post this or do I make it a new thread in this forum?

Audeze MM100 Review

After waiting for a few months my MM100s finally arrived. I already have the Hifiman Ananda (it replaced my LCD1s which developed headband cracks) and from a price perspective the 100s would look like something of a downgrade on them but I was hoping otherwise. I wanted to try these Audezes because I really liked the sound signature of the LCD 1s and hoped for similar from the MMs. On top of that, there was one aspect of the Anandas that I thought were deficient compared to the Audeze sound from the LCD 1s. To me there was a slight ‘veil’ in the upper mids and treble and I couldn’t EQ it away. Would the MM100s solve this problem.

Unboxing:

The headphones came in a box that provided more than ample protection via foam inserts. Included was a 2m long braided cable which terminated, surprisingly, in a 6.35mm jack and it’s actually quite a bit longer and solid than your standard 6.35mm plug. There was no 3.5 adapter included so if you want to plug these straight into a DAP this will be a problem. Another disappointment for some will be the soft carrying case. When compared to the solid case that came with the LCD1 there is no real protection when you transport them. I won’t be travelling with them anyway but others might.

Build and Comfort

When I picked these up for the first time it was immediately obvious that these had some weight. However, when I put them on they didn’t feel overly heavy and the unique inner headband fits my head perfectly. However, I suspect that this might not be the same for everybody. The headband doesn’t slide but you adjust it by changing the position of the holes in the leather to another choice. There are three pairs of holes each side. It took a bit of force to change them but now they’re set I don’t have to worry unless the holes start to enlarge. The pads are made of pleather and are gel filled and act almost like memory foam. This will please those who wear glasses but it’s worth noting that the pads are glued on. The seal is very good and my ears didn’t get hot.

Sound

What the Anandas were lacking in my opinion was that last little bit of clarity making them sound a bit veiled. This was not an issue with the LCD1s and I’m pleased to say it’s not an issue with the MM100s either. The word I would use is transparency and because of this trait alone, I will keep them.
There is something special about how they portray the sound and while ‘holographic’ might be overdoing it that’s the only word I can think of to describe it. A review I read online said “deliciously nuanced play between elements across all dimensions, creating an almost tangible space” I have a different way of phrasing that. What really stood out was the way that these handled changes in dynamics. Whether it was a quick crescendo or a slow fade in volume it just sounded so natural. You could also hear the differences in dynamics between different instruments. Instruments didn’t simply vanish when they got quieter and if you focused you could still hear them.
Imaging and sound stage are exemplary. You don’t get a hugely wide sound stage like you might on some cans but it’s certainly wide enough to give you a sense of where musicians and instruments are placed on the stage. This also depth and to some extent height.

Bass

These are not cans for bassheads (nor are the Anandas) but the lower end was very solid while still retaining that transparency I was talking about. There is nothing lightweight here. The sub bass is also evident, quite well tuned and goes quite low. For example you can hear the growl of low end bowed strings from an upright bass. As an aside, for accuracy, I did all my listening without EQ but couldn't resist a play. When I knocked up the very low end frequencies just a decibel or two the sub bass became much more pronounced without losing the tactile quality it already had and it still sounded natural. So if you want more lower end you can achieve it. I could not replicate this with the Anandas.

Mids

Now these have definitely been tuned with vocals in mind which is not surprising. Both male and female voices just shone and apart from one two tracks, it wasn’t to the detriment of the instrumental accompaniment. The mids are a bit forward and come close to being peaky but fortunately don’t get there. This is particularly noticeable in the upper mids but unless you are sensitive to an increase in these frequencies you will enjoy the extra energy this can bring to the music. You are not going to get the more relaxed midrange from the Anandas but that said, I didn’t find these at all fatiguing.

Treble

Fortunately they didn’t also dial it up in the upper frequencies. I found them quite neutral but also very transparent in presentation though I expect the upper mids contributed to this effect. I didn’t hear any sibilance in vocalists voices and while the treble was crisp and clean and it did provide sparkle but not any annoying sizzle.

Summing Up

While Audeze have cut back on materials to keep the price down there are a lot of headphones with far less quality of finish out there. They are easy to drive but you’ll need a 3.5mm adapter for your DAP or to run out of a portable DAC/Amp. Both the bass and midrange tuning contribute to a ‘holographic” soundstage and the way it’s been tuned for vocals is a real stand out. This will handle all genres and while I primarily bought these for classical music I liked the way they played with EDM, Folk, Rock and Jazz. Acoustic instruments shine with a very accurate reproduction of timbre and tonality.

Are these value for money? At $AUS679 absolutely.

Test Tracks all deliberately sourced from Qobuz and Hi Res where possible.
Letter – Yosi Horikawa
Bright Blue Rose – Mary Black
IGY – Donald Fagen
She’s Got Her Ticket – Tracy Chapman
Telegraph Road – Dire Straits
Phantoms Can’t Hang – Deadmau5
And That’s No Lie – Heaven 17
Brandenburg Concerto No 4 in G Allegro (first movt) - Bach Munich Orchestra
Beethoven Eroica Symphony – Bernstein/NYPO
Dvorak String Quarter No 12 in F major; Lento – Pavel Haas Quartet
Shostakovich Symphony No 8 in C minor; Scherzo – Previn/LSO
Chopin Nocturne in C minor OP 48/1 - Ivan Moravic
Jacques Loussier Trio Plays Bach – Jacques Loussier Trio

Dec 23, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #1,342 of 1,466
My review of the MM100s. Is there a dedicated review forum where I can also post this or do I make it a new thread in this forum?

Audeze MM100 Review

After waiting for a few months my MM100s finally arrived. I already have the Hifiman Ananda (it replaced my LCD1s which developed headband cracks) and from a price perspective the 100s would look like something of a downgrade on them but I was hoping otherwise. I wanted to try these Audezes because I really liked the sound signature of the LCD 1s and hoped for similar from the MMs. On top of that, there was one aspect of the Anandas that I thought were deficient compared to the Audeze sound from the LCD 1s. To me there was a slight ‘veil’ in the upper mids and treble and I couldn’t EQ it away. Would the MM100s solve this problem.

Unboxing:

The headphones came in a box that provided more than ample protection via foam inserts. Included was a 2m long braided cable which terminated, surprisingly, in a 6.35mm jack and it’s actually quite a bit longer and solid than your standard 6.35mm plug. There was no 3.5 adapter included so if you want to plug these straight into a DAP this will be a problem. Another disappointment for some will be the soft carrying case. When compared to the solid case that came with the LCD1 there is no real protection when you transport them. I won’t be travelling with them anyway but others might.

Build and Comfort

When I picked these up for the first time it was immediately obvious that these had some weight. However, when I put them on they didn’t feel overly heavy and the unique inner headband fits my head perfectly. However, I suspect that this might not be the same for everybody. The headband doesn’t slide but you adjust it by changing the position of the holes in the leather to another choice. There are three pairs of holes each side. It took a bit of force to change them but now they’re set I don’t have to worry unless the holes start to enlarge. The pads are made of pleather and are gel filled and act almost like memory foam. This will please those who wear glasses but it’s worth noting that the pads are glued on. The seal is very good and my ears didn’t get hot.

Sound

What the Anandas were lacking in my opinion was that last little bit of clarity making them sound a bit veiled. This was not an issue with the LCD1s and I’m pleased to say it’s not an issue with the MM100s either. The word I would use is transparency and because of this trait alone, I will keep them.
There is something special about how they portray the sound and while ‘holographic’ might be overdoing it that’s the only word I can think of to describe it. A review I read online said “deliciously nuanced play between elements across all dimensions, creating an almost tangible space” I have a different way of phrasing that. What really stood out was the way that these handled changes in dynamics. Whether it was a quick crescendo or a slow fade in volume it just sounded so natural. You could also hear the differences in dynamics between different instruments. Instruments didn’t simply vanish when they got quieter and if you focused you could still hear them.
Imaging and sound stage are exemplary. You don’t get a hugely wide sound stage like you might on some cans but it’s certainly wide enough to give you a sense of where musicians and instruments are placed on the stage. This also depth and to some extent height.

Bass

These are not cans for bassheads (nor are the Anandas) but the lower end was very solid while still retaining that transparency I was talking about. There is nothing lightweight here. The sub bass is also evident, quite well tuned and goes quite low. For example you can hear the growl of low end bowed strings from an upright bass. As an aside, for accuracy, I did all my listening without EQ but couldn't resist a play. When I knocked up the very low end frequencies just a decibel or two the sub bass became much more pronounced without losing the tactile quality it already had and it still sounded natural. So if you want more lower end you can achieve it. I could not replicate this with the Anandas.

Mids

Now these have definitely been tuned with vocals in mind which is not surprising. Both male and female voices just shone and apart from one two tracks, it wasn’t to the detriment of the instrumental accompaniment. The mids are a bit forward and come close to being peaky but fortunately don’t get there. This is particularly noticeable in the upper mids but unless you are sensitive to an increase in these frequencies you will enjoy the extra energy this can bring to the music. You are not going to get the more relaxed midrange from the Anandas but that said, I didn’t find these at all fatiguing.

Treble

Fortunately they didn’t also dial it up in the upper frequencies. I found them quite neutral but also very transparent in presentation though I expect the upper mids contributed to this effect. I didn’t hear any sibilance in vocalists voices and while the treble was crisp and clean and it did provide sparkle but not any annoying sizzle.

Summing Up

While Audeze have cut back on materials to keep the price down there are a lot of headphones with far less quality of finish out there. They are easy to drive but you’ll need a 3.5mm adapter for your DAP or to run out of a portable DAC/Amp. Both the bass and midrange tuning contribute to a ‘holographic” soundstage and the way it’s been tuned for vocals is a real stand out. This will handle all genres and while I primarily bought these for classical music I liked the way they played with EDM, Folk, Rock and Jazz. Acoustic instruments shine with a very accurate reproduction of timbre and tonality.

Are these value for money? At $AUS679 absolutely.

Test Tracks all deliberately sourced from Qobuz and Hi Res where possible.
Letter – Yosi Horikawa
Bright Blue Rose – Mary Black
IGY – Donald Fagen
She’s Got Her Ticket – Tracy Chapman
Telegraph Road – Dire Straits
Phantoms Can’t Hang – Deadmau5
And That’s No Lie – Heaven 17
Brandenburg Concerto No 4 in G Allegro (first movt) - Bach Munich Orchestra
Beethoven Eroica Symphony – Bernstein/NYPO
Dvorak String Quarter No 12 in F major; Lento – Pavel Haas Quartet
Shostakovich Symphony No 8 in C minor; Scherzo – Previn/LSO
Chopin Nocturne in C minor OP 48/1 - Ivan Moravic
Jacques Loussier Trio Plays Bach – Jacques Loussier Trio
Crazy how much better the dynamic representation is than the LCD-1, right? Also the low end.

Note, these need less of a low end bump than either MM500 or LCD-5 according to Oratory's settings. I think these pads are amazing and seal really well.

Dec 24, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #1,343 of 1,466
Crazy how much better the dynamic representation is than the LCD-1, right? Also the low end.

Note, these need less of a low end bump than either MM500 or LCD-5 according to Oratory's settings. I think these pads are amazing and seal really well.
I agree with you about the dynamics and the low end. Where would I find Oratory's settings? They don't appear to be in PEACE APO yet.

Jan 1, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #1,345 of 1,466
So... would it be justifiable to label these as a planar hd650ish Frankenstein? I'm wondering because as I really enjoy the sound of the hd650 I'd love to find a similarly sounding, particularly in the vocal department, headphone but with better technicalities.

Jan 2, 2024 at 2:53 AM Post #1,346 of 1,466
So... would it be justifiable to label these as a planar hd650ish Frankenstein? I'm wondering because as I really enjoy the sound of the hd650 I'd love to find a similarly sounding, particularly in the vocal department, headphone but with better technicalities.
Yes and no. One of the fortes of the HD650s is their midrange and their ability to present vocals. The MM10s also do this exceptionally well. The 650s also have a good mid to upper bass though the Audeze goes much lower. Where they differ significantly is in the treble. The 650s have a smooth sounding treble and is not harsh whatever you throw at it. The MM100s treble have a lot more sparkle and definition and while they don't get 'shouty' you sense that they are getting close. Based on the criteria you've set you might really enjoy the Audeze's and their imaging and soundstage is far superior to the 650s. I also like the way they accurately reproduce both tone and timbre.

Jan 12, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #1,347 of 1,466
So if I'm understanding the reviews, these would be more of a sidegrade to the 650/6xx and something like the Focal Clear? I'm looking at planars for a larger soundstage but I don't want to sacrifice that for body and weight (as I feel the Sundara's and Edition XS are lacking in). Do these sound more like a dynamic driver or is that typical planar airiness/soundstage present?

Jan 12, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #1,348 of 1,466
So if I'm understanding the reviews, these would be more of a sidegrade to the 650/6xx and something like the Focal Clear? I'm looking at planars for a larger soundstage but I don't want to sacrifice that for body and weight (as I feel the Sundara's and Edition XS are lacking in). Do these sound more like a dynamic driver or is that typical planar airiness/soundstage present?
I haven't heard mm100, but mm500 has narrow soundstage, so I assume mm100 is something similar. mm500 is quite like 650, except everything is a lot better. mm500 has bass, sweet treble, everything super clear and real sounding, especially mid range has superb realistic timbre. But soundstage definitely isn't wide, it's narrow, intimate. Feels like the vocalist is singing into your ear. Like your head is in place of the microphone. Also guitars sound very authentic and it's easy to tell what guitar the guitarist uses on which pickup.

I'm not a audiophile, I produce music, but I think a lot of the soundstage is in the frequency response. Where something with a wide soundstage (arya, 800) has a dip in mid range, while those realistic timbre, narrow stage headphones (650, mm500) have a peak in mids. Both very good, but different sounds and I'd be happy with either tbh. Don't really mind the small stage on mm500 for awesome timbre. Don't mind less than perfect timbre on aryas for wide soundstage.

What's realistic sound for me? If my recording sounds similar to me playing live through guitar amp. 650 has the tone nailed down, but lacks overtones, mm500 fixes them. While something like sundaras sound quite unrealistic. They sound like I had turned presence knob on my guitar amp to 11 and they also sound very metallic. Although, sundaras sound very good with electronic music, techno etc. to me.

Can't have everything at once it seems to me. Maybe there are some special headphones that have a wide soundstage and super realistic timbre, but from me listening to a lot of different headphones, I have not heard one like this. Something like arya stealth are nice middle ground. Neither timbre or sound stage are outstanding, but still very, very good.

Edit: Just for clarification, I have not heard every single headphone on this planet and definitely not with all kinds of amp combos. Just like the vast vast majority of people on here. If possible, I highly recommend for you to go to a store to test headphones and get ready to get your beliefs (that you gathered from doing research on internet) to be turned on their head. There's just so much conflicting information on internet and only true way to get a sense of things is for you to listen to a lot of different headphones (10+) and some very high end ones to see what the cheaper ones are missing and see what you would truly like to improve and if the ones you are thinking of buying are truly the ones you want.

Think of headphone reviewers describing headphones like they're describing a painting and you can't see the painting before buying it. Here, I'll describe you a painting (like people describe HPs), you can go look at it afterwards:

Retro modern/abstract style painting, with vibrant colors. While the colors are vibrant, they are still very organic/smooth and don't look neon at all. The painting is quite sharp/detailed, but still smooth/blurred around the edges. Overall, the painting is quite spacious, but gets congested in the middle.

Now generate a clear picture in your head from the description and go look at the spoiler to see if it really matches.

1705143674392.png

Circles in a Circle by Wassily Kandinsky

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #1,349 of 1,466
I haven't heard mm100, but mm500 has narrow soundstage, so I assume mm100 is something similar. mm500 is quite like 650, except everything is a lot better. mm500 has bass, sweet treble, everything super clear and real sounding, especially mid range has superb realistic timbre. But soundstage definitely isn't wide, it's narrow, intimate. Feels like the vocalist is singing into your ear. Like your head is in place of the microphone. Also guitars sound very authentic and it's easy to tell what guitar the guitarist uses on which pickup.

I'm not a audiophile, I produce music, but I think a lot of the soundstage is in the frequency response. Where something with a wide soundstage (arya, 800) has a dip in mid range, while those realistic timbre, narrow stage headphones (650, mm500) have a peak in mids. Both very good, but different sounds and I'd be happy with either tbh. Don't really mind the small stage on mm500 for awesome timbre. Don't mind less than perfect timbre on aryas for wide soundstage.

What's realistic sound for me? If my recording sounds similar to me playing live through guitar amp. 650 has the tone nailed down, but lacks overtones, mm500 fixes them. While something like sundaras sound quite unrealistic. They sound like I had turned presence knob on my guitar amp to 11 and they also sound very metallic. Although, sundaras sound very good with electronic music, techno etc. to me.

Can't have everything at once it seems to me. Maybe there are some special headphones that have a wide soundstage and super realistic timbre, but from me listening to a lot of different headphones, I have not heard one like this. Something like arya stealth are nice middle ground. Neither timbre or sound stage are outstanding, but still very, very good.

Edit: Just for clarification, I have not heard every single headphone on this planet and definitely not with all kinds of amp combos. Just like the vast vast majority of people on here. If possible, I highly recommend for you to go to a store to test headphones and get ready to get your beliefs (that you gathered from doing research on internet) to be turned on their head. There's just so much conflicting information on internet and only true way to get a sense of things is for you to listen to a lot of different headphones (10+) and some very high end ones to see what the cheaper ones are missing and see what you would truly like to improve and if the ones you are thinking of buying are truly the ones you want.

Think of headphone reviewers describing headphones like they're describing a painting and you can't see the painting before buying it. Here, I'll describe you a painting (like people describe HPs), you can go look at it afterwards:

Retro modern/abstract style painting, with vibrant colors. While the colors are vibrant, they are still very organic/smooth and don't look neon at all. The painting is quite sharp/detailed, but still smooth/blurred around the edges. Overall, the painting is quite spacious, but gets congested in the middle.

Now generate a clear picture in your head from the description and go look at the spoiler to see if it really matches.

1705143674392.png
Love your take on things! Thanks!

Jan 13, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #1,350 of 1,466

1705143674392.png
F*cking A: This gets my nomination for Head-fi Post of the Month. Very informative and well-written.

This writer and editor tips his cap to you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back