Audeze MM-100
Dec 9, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #1,321 of 1,466
My delivery date from ATA has now gone from the end of last month to early to mid Jan. Considering all the delays of the festive season, I'm not confident. I'm starting to think about buying one from somebody who bought them but don't want them any more.
I logged in just to ask you for any update and looks like you already posted one.😅

from "tomorrow" to mid January gosh glad I haven't been waiting and checking if they are in-stock like a muppet. I was doing that for weeks before I got fed up, to make it even worse when searching google for local stores it shows as "in-stock" at both places that have it so you would get your hopes up every time thinking you could walk in and try it. when you click through to the actual page both show as "backorder".

have those who paid for "pre-order now" with Audeze directly and were promised units from the "November batch" even received theirs yet?

from what I read somewhere else, when contacting support you are instantly given a friendly offer for you to "cancel and refund". I guess they are keen on customers doing this because it means more units to go around and everyone else waiting moves up one step in the queue.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #1,323 of 1,466
FINALLY!!!....so happy!!! :dt880smile:

20231212_103000.jpg

Dec 12, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #1,325 of 1,466
Just curous to anyone that has MM100 already, is there any way to fix the artificially hollow lower mids?

Demoed the other day and its nice untill vocals come in and it sounds like only the vocal highlights are pressent and there isnt any body to the vocals. Maybe im looking too much into it but MM500 and MM100 seem to be opposites of each other where MM500 has good body but recessed vocal extension.

Dec 13, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #1,328 of 1,466
Shootout very soon...

1000004600.jpg
I'd be interested in the results. From what I can see you've got the HD650 plus a HiFiman and is that another Senn in the right background?

My own shootout will be smaller when I pit the MM100 against my Ananda Stealth. My reasons for looking at the Audeze is all down to sound signature. I loved the sound of the LCD1 when I had them. When they broke I went for the Ananda and while there were improvements across the board, the sound signature worried me. It was like there was a thinly drawn veil across the mids and highs and I had much better clarity with the LCD1s. I'm hoping that the MM100s will rectify this and if so the HiFimans will be put up for sale.

Dec 13, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #1,329 of 1,466
I'd be interested in the results. From what I can see you've got the HD650 plus a HiFiman and is that another Senn in the right background?

That's an XS, then a modded HD650 and then an HD600

Did initial comparison yesterday - very surprised how laid back the XS is, huge soundstage vs to the MM100. The MM100s are very intimate, in your face presentation. Very clean sounding across the board on the MM100.

The difference between the Senns and the MM100 is less. Small staging, mids presented forwardly but again, the MM100 is very clean sounding across the board.

Need more time, this is just initial listening. Will do a better, more complete posting next time.

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #1,330 of 1,466
OK, they've arrived and I'm listening now to the test track playlist I created in Qobuz specifically for testing headphones. Early days yet but I'll get a couple of things out of the way. Both R and L earcup inputs work perfectly and there is no channel reversal. They are a little heavier than what I've been used to but they seem to spread across my head quite comfortably. The cable is too bloody long for my liking but then again they were created with mixing in mind. The gel pads felt a little weird initially but I've adjusted so no problems there. I'll come back with my initial sound impressions later but the one thing I was looking for was clarity and it certainly has this with a lot of similarities to the LCD1 which really pleases me.

Dec 15, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #1,331 of 1,466
Thanks Holden, good to hear yours is not part of the reported subset of cans suffering from wiring errors, due to a misunderstanding in assembly.

Another issue that has been reported is the reversal of polarity on some of the MM-100s. Do yours show absolute polarity?

Looking forward to your sound impressions :)

Dec 15, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #1,332 of 1,466
Thanks Holden, good to hear yours is not part of the reported subset of cans suffering from wiring errors, due to a misunderstanding in assembly.

Another issue that has been reported is the reversal of polarity on some of the MM-100s. Do yours show absolute polarity?

Looking forward to your sound impressions :)
How would I know if polarity is an issue? What would I be hearing? To me they sound absolutely fine and the only time I experienced a polarity issue was when I accidentally reversed the L and R cables on one speaker in my HiFi system. It sure sounded weird.

Dec 15, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #1,333 of 1,466
How would I know if polarity is an issue? What would I be hearing? To me they sound absolutely fine and the only time I experienced a polarity issue was when I accidentally reversed the L and R cables on one speaker in my HiFi system. It sure sounded weird.

If the polarity were reversed (signal/ground) - it would sound out of phase. Vocals would sound all around, not focused, any sound you hear will be like too far.

If the channels were reversed (left/right) - this is quite obvious (for some). Just run some test tracks on L/R channel.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #1,334 of 1,466
It would only be out of phase if polarity was only reversed on one driver. If polarity was reversed on both drivers, which is what's been reported, sound wouldn't be out of phase.

Dec 15, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #1,335 of 1,466
@holden: I think squibble explained this well on page 84 of this thread.

The MM-100 still isn't available for testing here, so I haven't been able to hear if this issue is audible.

Check out Bob Katz: Mastering Audio: Chapter 16, Additional Mastering Techniques for a general discussion. Ethan Winer has a different take on it here: https://ethanwiner.com/ear_imd.htm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back