Audeze MM-100
Oct 23, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #1,276 of 1,447
Yeah, would've liked to see what that 3K bump looks like on the graph type we're used to seeing from the Headphone Show fellas.

We still haven't had a chance to test the MM-100 ourselves over here, so it's hard to know how much of a problem the exaggerated high mid bump will turn out to be for our music production workflow. Guess we'll have to wait some more to find out.

(BTW - did DMS misspeak when he said "MM-300" in there, or might there be an improved version in the works already - with Sony know-how involved? Wishful thinking, I guess - ha-ha :yum:)

Oct 23, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #1,277 of 1,447
Why don't they just use raw Graphs?
Nobody can read this compensated bullsh*t
No one knows how to read raw graphs on the B&K 4128 anyway since there is no reference point for preference. GRAS 45CA-10 measurements compensated for the Harman 2018 target or raw with Harman 2018 overlayed are easiest to analyze. Also, the graphs headphone show displays are heavily smoothed and not revealing enough. Makes many headphone models look better than they actually are.

Yeah, would've liked to see what that 3K bump looks like on the graph type we're used to seeing from the Headphone Show fellas.

We still haven't had a chance to test the MM-100 ourselves over here, so it's hard to know how much of a problem the exaggerated high mid bump will turn out to be for our music production workflow. Guess we'll have to wait some more to find out.

(BTW - did DMS misspeak when he said "MM-300" in there, or might there be an improved version in the works already - with Sony know-how involved? Wishful thinking, I guess - ha-ha :yum:)
All of these headphones will need equalization to sound tonally comparable to flat on-axis speakers. I EQ my LCD-5 to Harman 2018 below 7 kHz for this reason.

Oct 23, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #1,278 of 1,447
From DMS video:
IMG_1095.png

Oct 23, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #1,279 of 1,447
In a recent video from resolve about the Sennheiser HD600 he's backing up his review with B&K 4128 graphs and a Harman curve like they used to do over at the Headphone Show. The new graph with the Preference bounds indication is confusing. Who's preference are we talking about? Audiophiles', gamers', musicians', music fans', film fans' ... ?

Having used the HD 600 for decades I know how it sounds like I know the back of my hand, that is my reference. It closely matches up with what resolve's raw graph shows me. And then I'll use EQ to get to what I need to hear to best do my work. That strong 3-4K bump is just an unnecessary and annoying extra factor to have to deal with.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #1,280 of 1,447
In a recent video from resolve about the Sennheiser HD600 he's backing up his review with B&K 4128 graphs and a Harman curve like they used to do over at the Headphone Show. The new graph with the Preference bounds indication is confusing. Who's preference are we talking about? Audiophiles', gamers', musicians', music fans', film fans' ... ?

Having used the HD 600 for decades I know how it sounds like I know the back of my hand, that is my reference. It closely matches up with what resolve's raw graph shows me. And then I'll use EQ to get to what I need to hear to best do my work. That strong 3-4K bump is just an unnecessary and annoying extra factor to have to deal with.

This might be useful

Oct 23, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #1,282 of 1,447
Thanks HipHop, I've watched it a few times already, but not convinced. I still prefer Sean Olive's Harman curve from 2012 in combination with the B&K graph. Still gives me a clearer picture of what to expect from a set of cans.
From 2012? Can you show an image of what you are referring to? To my knowledge, the first official Harman headphone target was from "Listener Preferences for In-RoomLoudspeaker and Headphone TargetResponses" in 2013.

Oct 23, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #1,284 of 1,447
From 2012? Can you show an image of what you are referring to? To my knowledge, the first official Harman headphone target was from "Listener Preferences for In-RoomLoudspeaker and Headphone TargetResponses" in 2013.
Yes, here's what a google search brings you on Sean Olive's work for the Harman Corporation. A search for 'Sean Olive Harman curve' will bring articles on the history of his Harman curve. There are videos with the Headphone Show fellas here as well:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sea...B4Y8QQYExgKwgIKEAAYFhgeGBMYCg&sclient=gws-wiz

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #1,285 of 1,447
Oct 25, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #1,288 of 1,447
This might be useful

To me, the strongest argument for using compensated instead of raw freq response charts is the sine illusion he references. This provides a handy interactive tool to see for yourself how it works.

One thing I may have missed though, shouldn't the compensated preference band be flatter, where you could draw a flat line across the median / average preference?
1698270454068.png

Oct 25, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #1,289 of 1,447
That big peak at 3k doesn’t really sound like that to me, maybe because the bell is wide and also because there is more top end above that. Thus it doesn’t present itself as strong as it does on the lcd5 for example. Still really loving these.

Oct 25, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #1,290 of 1,447
One thing I may have missed though, shouldn't the compensated preference band be flatter, where you could draw a flat line across the median / average preference?
Not if the biggest variances in preference occur at the polar ends of the audible range, which they seem to going by the debates about bass and treble

Users who are viewing this thread

Back