Audeze MM-100
Sep 2, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #811 of 1,447
the $399 lcd-1 headphones were mentioned ..... i don't see them for sale anywhere that i'd give my card info to . are they still made ? did they have QC or sound issues ? looks like they were only made for a few years .... ?
They had quality issues. The sound was great but to make them lighter Audeze changed the materials. This resulted in the plastic headband cracking then snapping near the cups. A pity because I really liked the sound and I hope that the MM100s get somewhat near that.

Sep 2, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #812 of 1,447
At 500€ they are not nearly as attractively priced as I hoped for :frowning2:

They are listed by german dealers by now

Sep 2, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #813 of 1,447
@bonnei100 I'd be very careful using Audeze cans for mastering due to their tuning which is not transparent and the fact that most pairs I had and/or listen to so far were all playing differently. Considering their low quality and therefore low durability I'd be rather looking for most transparent headphone build like a tank (or at least easily replacable) but not very heavy one :wink: While Audeze is marketing some of their products as designed for mastering I can not think why any pro would really like to use headphones with particular tuning removing transparency from the equation.
I’ve mastered 100s of albums solely with Audeze headphones at this point. I actually got less revision requests (they are SUPER rare now) when I made the switch solely to Audeze headphones. I eq my headphones, but Glenn Schick doesn’t.

I’m sure MM100 will be great. I love 500s and also even the LCD-1, I still use them.

Sep 2, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #814 of 1,447
I’ve mastered 100s of albums solely with Audeze headphones at this point. I actually got less revision requests (they are SUPER rare now) when I made the switch solely to Audeze headphones. I eq my headphones, but Glenn Schick doesn’t.

I’m sure MM100 will be great. I love 500s and also even the LCD-1, I still use them.
Most modern records (save jazz, classical etc) sound like crap so doesn’t tell me much that I can work with because the reality would appear that engineers want gear that makes their music sound like 💩

Sep 2, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #816 of 1,447
Just received my set today. Anyone else try plugging the included cable into both the left and right cups? When I plug the cable into the right cup everything works perfectly. However, when I plug the cable into the left cup, the left/right audio channels are swapped.

Uh oh, sounds like it might be wired wrong internally

Sep 2, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #817 of 1,447
Just received my set today. Anyone else try plugging the included cable into both the left and right cups? When I plug the cable into the right cup everything works perfectly. However, when I plug the cable into the left cup, the left/right audio channels are swapped.
I have the exact same experience. I was wearing them with the cable in the left at first and then remembered your post (I just opened them when I got home) from earlier and did a channel test and discovered it was backwards. I plugged it into the right and that fixed it.

EDIT: Also, I can confirm that the balanced cable (terminated in 4-pin XLR) I have for my HiFIMAN HE-R9, which plugs into the left cup on that headphone and works great, actually works perfectly on the MM-100 -- plugged into the right ear cup, and it has the channels correct. Plugging that same balanced cable into the left ear cup gives me mono sound, lol.

IMG_3120.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #821 of 1,447
@Audeze: Well, now would be the time for Audeze to come out on this thread and explain the quality issues reported here in the last few days. If these new MM headphones are also meant for use by audio pros, as we were informed from the first announcements, problems like those reported here should not occur.

What is Audeze going to do about it before more MM-100s are shipped out? And what will the company do for customers who have already received theirs or have them underway as we speak?

What happened with MM-100 QC before shipping?

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #822 of 1,447
Yeah I do mostly jazz fwiw
@thermos thank you for sharing your pro view on the topic :thumbsup: . Could you share some of your eq settings? While I prefer Meze Empys for Jazz I can understand why one could go with Audezee. As for eq as a consumer I used to be a great fan but later I've decided it is kind of a statement from headphone manufacture that they trow a towel a bit in term of chase for best fidelity and leave it for the software. Second question: could you share some of albums you were working on please? Always happy to find new great jazz album for listening :)

Sep 3, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #823 of 1,447
Inexcusable lol

Sep 3, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #824 of 1,447
First impressions?
I've had only a little time with them -- but I will say these sound similar to my LCD-GX but with more clarity and more air and slightly better vocals (a little more up front -- not a ton but noticeable) -- enough to ensure my LCD-GX will suffer a rare fate for a pair of my headphones: I'm selling them. They sound pretty neutral without a lot of coloration. I can see why might find them bright but I do not find them uncomfortably so.

They seem to my ears what they purport to be: studio headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back