Audeze MM-100
Aug 2, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #571 of 1,466
The weight wasn’t worth the wait unless they’re designed for John Waite or similar genres.

Aug 2, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #573 of 1,466
475g is getting to nearly double the HD600s. I might have to hold out til there are some reviews regarding the weight and comfort. Hmm.
You're comparing a headphone that has two cups filled with magnets to a headphone with two cups filled with paper cones. Of course, the planar is going to be significantly heavier unless massive corners are cut on cup and headband design and materials.

I own an Audeze LCD-X 2021, which weighs 612 grams. It is just as comfortable as my HD 6XX, which weighs 260 grams. The weight distribution of the Audezes is just fine, the cups are deeper with far more plush pads, and the clamping force is lower. So, just as easy to wear as the HD 6XX, if not more.

I get it if you have neck problems or the weight causes headaches. Run from Audeze. But I also wonder how many people worried about the weight have worn "heavy" headphones like Audeze for an extended period of time.

Aug 2, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #574 of 1,466
You're comparing a headphone that has two cups filled with magnets to a headphone with two cups filled with paper cones. Of course, the planar is going to be significantly heavier unless massive corners are cut on cup and headband design and materials.

I own an Audeze LCD-X 2021, which weighs 612 grams. It is just as comfortable as my HD 6XX, which weighs 260 grams. The weight distribution of the Audezes is just fine, the cups are deeper with far more plush pads, and the clamping force is lower. So, just as easy to wear as the HD 6XX, if not more.

I get it if you have neck problems or the weight causes headaches. Run from Audeze. But I also wonder how many people worried about the weight have worn "heavy" headphones like Audeze for an extended period of time.
That’s good to know as far as comfort. I don’t have a headphone that’s as heavy as the specs for the 100, so on paper seeing a phone weight twice what I’m used to with my 990s is a ‘don’t know about that’. It’ll come down to a buy them and see if it’s fatiguing at all. Cause I do want to try planar.

Aug 2, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #575 of 1,466
They sure know how to make heavy headphones in the US (Monoprice MONOLITH M1570 planar headphones weigh 670 g).

They should be sold with a complementary one month (minimum) gym membership card 🤣

Aug 2, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #576 of 1,466
I can't help but suspect that the delayed release and increased weight could be related to the high amount of Maxwell headphones with broken headbands on the Audeze subreddit (which looks like the same headband design as the MM-100).

There's also a lot of posts about the foil membranes breaking from air pressure but i assume that's mostly a closed back specific vulnerability

Aug 2, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #577 of 1,466
I have a fairly average sized head, military style haircut and build. The weight of the Maxwell is about 490g? I felt that it was very comfortable and weight distributed pretty evenly, I had no problems with wearing it for most of the day. My Hifiman HE-6SE v2 weighs in at about 470g, again no problems although the headband is a lot less comfortable than the Maxwell. My M1570 comes in at 700g, it's pretty heavy but not terrible, I can handle it for several hours before I need to start fidgeting with it because it gets uncomfortable because of the weight.

If the MM-100 comes in around the weight of the Maxwell and shares the same headband, it should be very comfortable for many hours of use. I have no problems here.

Aug 2, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #578 of 1,466
I can't help but suspect that the delayed release and increased weight could be related to the high amount of Maxwell headphones with broken headbands on the Audeze subreddit (which looks like the same headband design as the MM-100).

There's also a lot of posts about the foil membranes breaking from air pressure but i assume that's mostly a closed back specific vulnerability
I had the LCD-1 which also broke. If the MM-100 also have this problem, I would be really pissed!

Aug 2, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #579 of 1,466
I had the LCD-1 which also broke. If the MM-100 also have this problem, I would be really pissed!
The LCD-1 had a lot of plastic in the build, which is different than most Audezes. My LCD-X 2021 are built like tanks. Nothing but leather and metal.

I understand the MM-100 have some plastic in the headband, like the Maxwell. I think the cups are injection-molded plastic, too. But I can't imagine the QC being any worse than a HiFiMan or Focal. I know that's not a high bar ... :)

Aug 2, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #580 of 1,466

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #581 of 1,466
Regarding the weight, what you could do is get a HEDDphone, not to listen to, but to use as the equivalent of a baseball ‘bat weight’. You put it on your head (normal listening position) and slowly turn your head from side to side and up and down, for about 15 minutes.

Take the HEDDphone off, put on the Audeze and it will seem like an HD650.

😆

Aug 2, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #582 of 1,466
Aug 2, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #583 of 1,466

The issue with the Maxwell headband is bad welds, which is a QC issue and wouldn't really explain any added weight.

Aug 2, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #584 of 1,466
They sure know how to make heavy headphones in the US (Monoprice MONOLITH M1570 planar headphones weigh 670 g).

They should be sold with a complementary one month (minimum) gym membership card 🤣
That was the first headphone that I ever felt was heavy. It was fine on my head, but when I picked them up to put them on or take them off, they felt VERY heavy. I had the LCD-2 Classic's and never found them very heavy.

Aug 3, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #585 of 1,466
I don't get why Audeze can't figure out how to significantly reduce the weight of their headphones but keep it strong and built like a tank.

Sennheiser mostly uses plastics on their headphones for decades and don't have many customers who have problems with headphones snapping or breaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back