Audeze MM-100
Aug 3, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #586 of 1,447
I don't get why Audeze can't figure out how to significantly reduce the weight of their headphones but keep it strong and built like a tank.

Sennheiser mostly uses plastics on their headphones for decades and don't have many customers who have problems with headphones snapping or breaking.
And everyone wants plastic.....right?

Aug 3, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #587 of 1,447
Aug 3, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #588 of 1,447
I don't get why Audeze can't figure out how to significantly reduce the weight of their headphones but keep it strong and built like a tank.

Sennheiser mostly uses plastics on their headphones for decades and don't have many customers who have problems with headphones snapping or breaking.

Your premise is faulty. Sennheiser's plastics do break. Their more consumer oriented models especially, but it's not hard to find plenty of cases of the venerated HD800 or HD600 series breaking either. They may use better plastics or better design than say the Penrose, but I'd bet Sennheiser not having a reputation for breaking probably has more to do with them being around long before news of broken headphones could spread the way it does on the internet today and therefore being able to build enough brand cachet and loyalty that people tend to dismiss those issues. Not to mention that it's pretty easy to get parts to repair many Sennheiser headphones yourself.

Also the expectations for premium headphones has changed over the years, and beyond actual durability, when people take a headphone out of the box (or see a reviewer take a headphone out of a box) and see how much is metal it gives the impression of better build quality, and you need good impressions to sell headphones.

Also, for what's it worth, I found the Maxwell's much more comfortable out of the box than a pair of HD600s, which I distinctly remember crushing my head like a vice-grip until I spent a lot of time working in the headband (carefully, so the plastic didn't snap like it's known to do if you bend at the wrong place :wink:). The weight issue may not be all it's cracked up to be in terms of comfort.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #589 of 1,447
Your premise is faulty. Sennheiser's plastics do break. Their more consumer oriented models especially, but it's not hard to find plenty of cases of the venerated HD800 or HD600 series breaking either. They may use better plastics or better design than say the Penrose, but I'd bet Sennheiser not having a reputation for breaking probably has more to do with them being around long before news of broken headphones could spread the way it does on the internet today and therefore being able to build enough brand cachet and loyalty that people tend to dismiss those issues. Not to mention that it's pretty easy to get parts to repair many Sennheiser headphones yourself.

Also the expectations for premium headphones has changed over the years, and beyond actual durability, when people take a headphone out of the box (or see a reviewer take a headphone out of a box) and see how much is metal it gives the impression of better build quality, and you need good impressions to sell headphones.

Also, for what's it worth, I found the Maxwell's much more comfortable out of the box than a pair of HD600s, which I distinctly remember crushing my head like a vice-grip until I spent a lot of time working in the headband (carefully, so the plastic didn't snap like it's known to do if you bend at the wrong place :wink:). The weight issue may not be all it's cracked up to be in terms of comfort.
My premise is not faulty. Your reading comprehension is faulty. I never said Sennheiser's headphones or their plastics don't break. This is what I actually said:

Sennheiser has sold countless more headphones in all price ranges compared to Audeze, like exponentially more headphones. They've also been around longer than Audeze and produced way more headphones. Their cheap headphones mostly use plastic too. Do you see the same amount of customer complaints about Sennheiser's products breaking as you do with Audeze? Nope. Not nearly as many complaints as with Audeze or the dreaded HiFiMans.

Of course, Audeze's premium headphones that's like wearing bricks on your head, are built like tanks and don't have many complaints with them breaking. The problem is that they can't figure out how to create lightweight headphones with plastic materials or other lightweight metals without compromising the integrity of the headphones. That is my actual premise if you had sufficient reading comprehension.

Aug 3, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #590 of 1,447
My premise is not faulty. Your reading comprehension is faulty. I never said Sennheiser's headphones or their plastics don't break. This is what I actually said:

Sennheiser has sold countless more headphones in all price ranges compared to Audeze, like exponentially more headphones. They've also been around longer than Audeze and produced way more headphones. Their cheap headphones mostly use plastic too. Do you see the same amount of customer complaints about Sennheiser's products breaking as you do with Audeze? Nope. Not nearly as many complaints as with Audeze or the dreaded HiFiMans.

Of course, Audeze's premium headphones that's like wearing bricks on your head, are built like tanks and don't have many complaints with them breaking. The problem is that they can't figure out how to create lightweight headphones with plastic materials or other lightweight metals without compromising the integrity of the headphones. That is my actual premise if you had sufficient reading comprehension.

You have no actual baseline for any of the claims your making. You don't know how many Sennheiser headphones break per unit sold or how many Audeze headphones break per unit sold.

Aug 3, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #591 of 1,447
You have no actual baseline for any of the claims your making. You don't know how many Sennheiser headphones break per unit sold or how many Audeze headphones break per unit sold.
Once again, your reading comprehension fails you. I said "...don't have many customers who have problems with headphones snapping or breaking."

And: "Do you see the same amount of customer complaints about Sennheiser's products breaking as you do with Audeze? Nope. Not nearly as many complaints as with Audeze or the dreaded HiFiMans."

I never said Sennheiser doesn't have more or less headphones breaking compared to Audeze's headphones, which is the strawman argument you're trying to make.

Try again.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #592 of 1,447
You don't know how many Sennheiser headphones break per unit sold or how many Audeze headphones break per unit sold
Only manufacturers have that data, and I'm afraid they won't disclose it.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #593 of 1,447
Once again, your reading comprehension fails you. I said "...don't have many customers who have problems with headphones snapping or breaking."

And: "Do you see the same amount of customer complaints about Sennheiser's products breaking as you do with Audeze? Nope. Not nearly as many complaints as with Audeze or the dreaded HiFiMans."

I never said Sennheiser doesn't have more or less headphones breaking compared to Audeze's headphones, which is the strawman argument you're trying to make.

Try again.

You're missing the point, which is that you have zero proof of what you're saying. You don't actually know that Sennheiser doesn't have many customers who have problems with headphones snapping. You're just asserting that and expecting it to be treated as true.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #594 of 1,447
You're missing the point, which is that you have zero proof of what you're saying. You don't actually know that Sennheiser doesn't have many customers who have problems with headphones snapping. You're just asserting that and expecting it to be treated as true.
You're missing my point and ignoring what I actually wrote, on purpose. We do know about the COMPLAINTS made about certain brand's headphones breaking because it's being made on this site, various other sites, Reddit, Facebook, YouTube comments, etc.

This is my last response to you, since you're purposely trying to put words in my mouth and ignoring my posts, in order to defend Audeze.

Aug 3, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #595 of 1,447
You're missing my point and ignoring what I actually wrote, on purpose. We do know about the COMPLAINTS made about certain brand's headphones breaking because it's being made on this site, various other sites, Reddit, Facebook, YouTube comments, etc.

This is my last response to you, since you're purposely trying to put words in my mouth and ignoring my posts, in order to defend Audeze.

I'm not missing your point, I'm saying your point based on completely anecdotal impressions of customer complaints is useless and pointless because there's no reliable data to back it up.

Aug 3, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #596 of 1,447
I'm not missing your point, I'm saying your point based on completely anecdotal impressions of customer complaints is useless and pointless because there's no reliable data to back it up.
Give it a rest. The HD series has been around for decades. If there were a high failure rate, it would be easy to expose and would certainly be posted on head fi. Everyone knows that, even though they are plastic, they hold up very well over time. You can watch and read hundreds of reviews where their build quality is addressed. Yes they’re plastic and yes they last forever.

Now let’s move on.

Aug 5, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #600 of 1,447
40 pages complaining about headphones that are not even released yet. New record :)
The discussion never recovered after the 5 pages of ear pad glue arguments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back