Audeze MM-100
Jun 18, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #496 of 1,447
Since these take a single 3.5mm cable on either side I’m assuming the Vmoda Boompro will work as a microphone solution? Anyone know of anything else? There is always the Modmic wireless as well.

Jun 19, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #497 of 1,447
Jun 26, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #498 of 1,447
I haven't seen any more discussion on this thread in a while. Anyone get a chance to hear the MM-100 at CanJam Chicago this past weekend?

Jun 26, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #499 of 1,447
I haven't seen any more discussion on this thread in a while. Anyone get a chance to hear the MM-100 at CanJam Chicago this past weekend?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/canjam-chicago-2023-impressions-thread-june-24-25-2023.968710/page-2

tvrboy

1000+ Head-Fier​

"Audeze MM-100: The MM-500 is one of my favorite headphones, so I was eager to see whether Audeze could capture the high level of detail, laser-focused imaging, and balanced frequency response at a much lower price point. I can say they have hit their targets on all three counts. The balanced response with extremely clear mids is almost a carbon copy of its bigger brother. Instrument separation is amazingly good for the price point. I just bought an HD-660 S2 which I enjoy, but found that things get slightly blurred together. The MM-100 is around twice as precise as the Sennheiser in instrument placement and separation. Note decay is razor sharp as opposed to the more gradual decay of the Senn. That’s a quality I like, but I could see how others prefer the more natural decay of the 660 S2. Vocal tracks are where the MM-100 shines, but I did note that vocals sounded slightly artificial or plastic-y, depending on the singer, an effect not present in the more expensive MM-500. The bottom line is that in my opinion, the MM-100 is the best full-size headphone made under $600. The fact that it’s substantially cheaper than many of its rivals from Sennheiser, Moondrop, Hifiman, etc just adds to the amazing value."

Jun 26, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #500 of 1,447
I demoed it at CanJam. The main problem I have with listening at shows is just you don't get intimate time with things. I think IEM's fair better since you get the great isolation. The MM100 was just OK for me. I had the MM500 and sold it because ultimately it didn't fit my preferences. To no surprise, the 100 seemed very mid focused again as its bigger brother. I think reference headphones in general don't always excite me much, but then not sure if that would be the point of them. Idk...on the fence but who knows when I'll get to hear one again. Oh, definitely like the comfort being the Maxwell headband system. I own the Maxwell and love that headphone!

Jun 26, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #501 of 1,447
I demoed it at CanJam. The main problem I have with listening at shows is just you don't get intimate time with things. I think IEM's fair better since you get the great isolation. The MM100 was just OK for me. I had the MM500 and sold it because ultimately it didn't fit my preferences. To no surprise, the 100 seemed very mid focused again as its bigger brother. I think reference headphones in general don't always excite me much, but then not sure if that would be the point of them. Idk...on the fence but who knows when I'll get to hear one again. Oh, definitely like the comfort being the Maxwell headband system. I own the Maxwell and love that headphone!
Thanks for the impressions skeeb. I'm going to CanJam SoCal later this year so I'm looking forward to not being able to get an intimate time with gear as well. 🤣

I bought your MM-500 and sold it about two months later. I'm not a huge fan of Sankar's new Audeze house sound but was hoping the MM-100 would get a bit more coloration and get close to the MM-500 for a much lower price point. We'll see if I'll pull the trigger on the MM-100 but i've seen a lot of mixed impressions so far.

Jun 26, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #502 of 1,447
Hmm...what didn't you like about the 500? I think the 100 maintains a lot of the signature just with a much cheaper tech. Cheaper build parts...not as refined reso and details. That kind of thing...again this was a short 4 track listen so I got an idea, but not a finite opinion.

Jun 26, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #503 of 1,447
Hmm...what didn't you like about the 500?
Not enough sparkle in the treble, definitely not enough presence in the bass, especially sub bass. I find Sankar’s tuning to be quite sub bass light and the MM-500 falls into that category unfortunately. I know most music plays out in the mid range and the MM-500 is a mid focused headphone but to me it lacks energy and gives a lifeless sound that doesn’t suit my preferences.

I’m surprised the Big Steppers album was mastered on it as Kendrick has never sounded so lifeless. The ZMF Eikon makes that album sound phenomenal but I think Eikon is an endgame Hip-Hop headphone and know the MM-500 wasn’t tuned for that genre.

I’m pretty certain that mixing/mastering headphones need to be tuned like the MM-500/100 so I’m probably in the same camp as you are that studio neutral headphones just aren’t for me.

Jun 27, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #504 of 1,447
Not enough sparkle in the treble, definitely not enough presence in the bass, especially sub bass. I find Sankar’s tuning to be quite sub bass light and the MM-500 falls into that category unfortunately. I know most music plays out in the mid range and the MM-500 is a mid focused headphone but to me it lacks energy and gives a lifeless sound that doesn’t suit my preferences.

I’m surprised the Big Steppers album was mastered on it as Kendrick has never sounded so lifeless. The ZMF Eikon makes that album sound phenomenal but I think Eikon is an endgame Hip-Hop headphone and know the MM-500 wasn’t tuned for that genre.

I’m pretty certain that mixing/mastering headphones need to be tuned like the MM-500/100 so I’m probably in the same camp as you are that studio neutral headphones just aren’t for me.
The MM-500 is still not quite neutral compared to my flat Genelec speakers in a treated room. As you said, missing about 3db in the treble and also 1-2db in the bass.

Also a bit too much ear gain at 3khz.

But easy to fix with EQ.

EDIT:
I don't believe in headphones that are tuned to a specific genre. If it's neutral. Everything should sound right, depending on how it was mixed/mastered.

Of course Individual ears also play a role

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #505 of 1,447
The MM-500 is still not quite neutral compared to my flat Genelec speakers in a treated room. As you said, missing about 3db in the treble and also 1-2db in the bass.

Also a bit too much ear gain at 3khz.

But easy to fix with EQ.

EDIT:
I don't believe in headphones that are tuned to a specific genre. If it's neutral. Everything should sound right, depending on how it was mixed/mastered.

Of course Individual ears also play a role
Yeah. The MM line is probably tuned correctly for its intended target market which is mixing/mastering engineers. Not all of Audeze’s lineup need to cater to audiophiles.

I think I just don’t prefer neutral headphones.

Jul 1, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #506 of 1,447
Any news regarding availability ?

Jul 3, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #508 of 1,447
In that case, I will add them to my Christmas list 🎅👍

...... or is this too optimistic :scream:

Jul 3, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #509 of 1,447
Jul 5, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #510 of 1,447
I tried these twice at PAF, where the headphones area was actually really quiet at the time. One of the best headphones available under $1k. I think to achieve a clear step up from these you need Arya, LCD-X, MM-500 or Focal Clear OG. I prefer these over the LCD-2 variants myself, which are a bit warmer. I think the 100 sound cleaner. Although many may find them a bit sterile/strident. With a little bass shelf from my Qudelix 5k, they were pretty brilliant.

Edit: after the show I almost ordered some. Then I realized they were still on pre order. I love Audeze headphones, but thier track record on pre orders is pretty bad. And I generally don't pre order anything, so maybe once they are in production, I will drive 30 minutes to Audeze and pick some up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back