CanJam Chicago 2023 Impressions Thread (June 24-25, 2023)
Jun 24, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #18 of 269
Had a great time today! I only did a small amount of listening, so mostly social stuff today. Was great catching up with the various vendor teams. Looking forward to my demo (and purchase?) of the HE1 tomorrow.

I heard a rumor that someone is bringing the Shang Sr tomorrow, which I blind bought about a month ago, and don't have yet. So, if that happens, eager to hear them on a BHSE and the Grand Cayman.

Wish that Woo Audio, and a few others made it out, but man ZMF has an amazing presence, but Hifiman, and Headamp were no slouches at this show either. Thank you to the Head-Fi staff, and vendors teams for putting this on, and looking forward to more great sessions tomorrow!

Jun 24, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #19 of 269
Limiting my impressions to new release headphones:

Audeze Maxwell: Expectations were high for this one, and it did not disappoint. I knew that it’s more of a mass-market headphone than an audiophile headphone, so I played a lot of my favorite indie pop tracks that have less than perfect recording quality. The Maxwell presented them all in a very favorable light, with a forward and clean sound. Notes were well-separated and the headphone presented detail without putting a microscope to the music. Vocals were very clear and bass was high enough to be enjoyable with pop songs, but didn’t bleed into the mids. I was surprised that there was very little of the reverb/echo effect that characterizes closed backs. On the flip side, soundstage was fairly poor and notes did not have a great sense of weight nor impact. For a $300 “do everything” Bluetooth headphone I think the sound quality is much cleaner and more balanced than Bose / Sony / Beats and it will be my default recommendation for normal people who want normal headphones.

Audeze MM-100: The MM-500 is one of my favorite headphones, so I was eager to see whether Audeze could capture the high level of detail, laser-focused imaging, and balanced frequency response at a much lower price point. I can say they have hit their targets on all three counts. The balanced response with extremely clear mids is almost a carbon copy of its bigger brother. Instrument separation is amazingly good for the price point. I just bought an HD-660 S2 which I enjoy, but found that things get slightly blurred together. The MM-100 is around twice as precise as the Sennheiser in instrument placement and separation. Note decay is razor sharp as opposed to the more gradual decay of the Senn. That’s a quality I like, but I could see how others prefer the more natural decay of the 660 S2. Vocal tracks are where the MM-100 shines, but I did note that vocals sounded slightly artificial or plastic-y, depending on the singer, an effect not present in the more expensive MM-500. The bottom line is that in my opinion, the MM-100 is the best full-size headphone made under $600. The fact that it’s substantially cheaper than many of its rivals from Sennheiser, Moondrop, Hifiman, etc just adds to the amazing value.

Dekoni Cobalt: A bit of a miss in my opinion. Booth rep said they prioritized a balanced response and detail retrieval and cautioned me that it wouldn’t be bass-heavy enough for EDM. I think that to some extent the design targets were met, and it’s definitely leaning towards a neutral-ish sound signature. The problem is that it sounds like I am listening to nice speakers inside of a marble bathroom. The cup resonances are just too high. I actually wrote down “in the cave effect” in my notes. Sadly the Audeze Maxwell paired with my phone was better in every way than the Cobalt run off a decent amp/dac.

Lithium Alkali: This was a surprise. I had never heard of this company before today. I met the designer through random conversation and he graciously let me try his headphone. I ran the Alkali off the T+A HA200 headphone amplifier to ensure that electronics would not limit the performance of the headphones. I think there is a good base here that needs a little more development. The level of detail was very good, especially considering the $600 price point. I was satisfied with soundstage and image separation as well. The problem was that I heard a constant resonance / reverb / echo effect. I have no idea how this is possible because this is a completely open-back design, there is barely any material covering the back of the driver. However, the ear cup is about twice as deep as a typical ear cup. I’m guessing the deep walls of the ear cup may contribute to the reverb effect I heard. If this was eliminated I would rate the headphones as very competitive in the $600 price point.

ZMF closed-back prototype: Not sure what to call this one since there is no name. I only got to listen to one song but impressions were positive. I would rate the detail retrieval as very close to my Focal Clear. The sound was full and warm. Bass was heard, but I felt that the headphone would be a more enjoyable listen if the bass was boosted a bit. That’s just my preference, I only point this out to say that this headphone did not have overwhelming bass. As I listened to a bass solo, I found the transition between bass notes to be blurry, with the notes smearing into each other. The overall FR was slightly V-shaped, but as a fan of neutral headphones I still enjoyed this one. Overall, my listening experience was enjoyable and I could imagine them as perfect office headphones that allow music to be a beautiful background instead of attracting your attention with a false sense of detail or over-emphasized sections of the FR spectrum. If I remember correctly, the target price will be under $1000. I think the more under they get, the more attractive the headphone will be. At a $1000 price point it’s getting dangerously close to ZMF’s other, better headphones.

I’d like to give a big thank you to the ZMF team for answering all my questions. I purchased an Auteur Classic and they were very helpful in my audition process, pointing out different amplifiers to try and why they would / would not be a good match, as well as providing other models to compare. Multiple staff members helped me figure out which of the various woods would best suit me, explain some features of the headphone, the production process, etc. They really went above and beyond what I would expect exhibition booth staff to do and made me feel 100% confident in my purchase. I’m looking forward to buying more ZMF headphones in the future!

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #20 of 269
Thoroughly enjoyed day one of my second Canjam (after NY earlier this year). Highlight was spending time with the Noble folks and their wares! The Ragnar was just a tad too sharp for me. Ronin a great all rounder. The KK really stood out to me - absolutely killer bass & lovely highs. Very tempting!

Anyone know if there was a tralli to demo there?
No sign of a Trailli - had my eye out for one, and/or the Mentor, and didn’t see either unfortunately! Knew it was unlikely based on the vendor list.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #21 of 269
Everyone who has come through to listen to the HE 1 has been an absolute joy to talk to...from musical preferences, line of work, passion for sound, other gear to try, where they are from, life stories, etc etc...sort of like a campfire chat but with the glow of tubes instead of an open flame. Rock on Head-Fi!

1000013772.jpg

great to meet you Eric, was really fun connecting in person.

The HE1 demo was a blast (and such a lucky break to get 25 min of quiet listening time). Will share more with my overall CanJam Chicago impressions that I’ll post after the show. But these headphones are always such a wonderful treat :)

Jun 24, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #22 of 269
Fun Times, can’t wait for day 2 😊

Favorite vendor was Spirit Torino. I actually like their new planar headphone centauri. It have a really good tone for acoustic instruments especially with bass drums and drums. Nice bass sound overall with acoustic instruments. Wish I could say the same for the electric guitar, but it was still pretty fun on rock music. Like classical orchestra more on it. I also enjoy the valkyria, but the bass on the drums didn’t hit the same for me compare to the planar one. Still, it also amazing for classical I didn’t enjoy the grey headphone at all (can’t remember the name). That grey headphone was not my cup of tea. Overall, I recommend people to try out the Spirit Torino booth if you haven’t, great headphones.

Other favorite vendor was the Fostex vendor. They had a vinyl setup and Rock Roll me in 2023 😂.

^Sennheiser HE-1

^DCS Lina Room

^ DCA Vendor

^ZMF room

^ ZMF new Headphone

^ Viva Vendor

^Fostex Vendor

^ Spirit Torino Vendor
Wow. That...that ZMF X JDL amp manual looks like it could be used as a deskpad.
I want to buy that separately...

Jun 24, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #23 of 269
Never heard the HE-1 before so I am holding out hope I get called from the waiting list. If anybody has a reservation and needs an extra person let me know :)

All the ZMF stuff was amazing. The JDS x ZMF amp really stood out and I was loving it no matter which ZMF I used on it.

Another thing that was great was the Modhouse Tungsten. It was very very very comfortable and sounded fantastic. I will definitely be stopping by Mimic Audio again tomorrow to get some more time with it.

Jun 24, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #24 of 269
Everyone who has come through to listen to the HE 1 has been an absolute joy to talk to...from musical preferences, line of work, passion for sound, other gear to try, where they are from, life stories, etc etc...sort of like a campfire chat but with the glow of tubes instead of an open flame. Rock on Head-Fi!

1000013772.jpg

great to meet you Eric, was really fun connecting in person.

The HE1 demo was a blast (and such a lucky break to get 25 min of quiet listening time). Will share more with my overall CanJam Chicago impressions that I’ll post after the show. But these headphones are always such a wonderful treat :)
@ericpalonen - I totally agree with @goldwerger. Was great meeting you in person, and had a blast with the HE-1. Definitely a treat :)

Jun 24, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #25 of 269
Dude > Cannibal Corpse, nods. We're definitely friends.
First public candid of me since 2019, to boot.

With the caveat that I was feeling hyper critical and you can never get enough time with headphones at CanJam:
The HE-1 was great but not mind-blowing in the way I expected. I was in the first group to demo and everything was just perfect. Not in your face, not too laid back, etc. I played a few tracks I was intimately familiar with and came away pleased.
Biggest surprise was Spirit Torino. The Pulsar was very technically flawed but so much fun I didn't care. The mistral had the best tonal balance and flavor to my ears but not as fast or aggressive as the Pulsar. The Valkyrie was too bright and didn't handle diverse enough music to be worth the price tag but like the others very fun.
ZMF headphones had the fattest bass at the show by far. I preferred the Caldera over the Atrium (the two big draws to their room for me) and they have a unique sound signature. Build quality, comfort, and aesthetics on all their headphones was spectacular and photos don't do it justice. One of the guys working for ZMF was kind enough to hand people headphones at their behest so big kudos to them for customer service. Not as fast or well imaged as I was hoping (vocals got a bit lost in the fat bass and death metal got a little confused) but there's no saying you couldn't get a Verite too. The room being packed made me a bit anxious to sit down much longer for critical listening so I'll have to find a way to give them more time. I liked the Caldera a lot.
DCA: The Corina is noticeably better than the Voce but they're both well-rounded (the latter is a touch sibilant and unnatural in the highs) and a good first into electrostats. S Not as natural as the X9K or tight as the Carbn, but the Corina was still very solid. It seems like faint praise, but being competent against Stax and the Carbn so early in making estas is not an easy feat.
The LCD-5 and Carbn were my favorites for planar and electrostatics, respectively. Nothing stood out in the Carbn, in the sense that everything was just right if a bit dark. Comfort, build, aesthetics were all top notch. LCD-5 was fast, had great bass, separation, imaging, and detail. I didn't get much time with it because I was waiting for my HE-1 demo but I'm glad I got the chance.
The X9K with the Grand Cayman was excellent. Slightly hard edges on the highs and not as euphonic or natural as the SR-007 to my ears but the comfort, aesthetics and neutrality were superior. Really love the weight and replaceable cables but it could use a self adjusting headband like its little brother.
The T+A Solitaire P were another "just right" headphone. Thanks to Jeff at the Mimic table for letting me use his phone because I forgot my USB cable for the dongle.
I only heard the Susvara from the Hifiman table but it was about what I expected. Great imaging, very competent tonal balance but a little too polite and laid back for my tastes.
The only headphone I really disliked was the Fostex TH-909. My first high-end headphones were the Denon AH-D7000 (originally manufactured by Fostex) so I hoped they'd be similarly enjoyable but I took them off after 20 seconds. Way, way too bright and sibilant.
My favorite for the show is the Carbn for sure. At $4500 it's a better buy than the X9K and could be your one headphone if you're okay with an estat only system.
I also briefly auditioned the Cross zones at the Mimic table but can't be sure what I think of them. They clearly need more power than my phone could provide at max volume.

Jun 24, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #27 of 269
Any impressions of Arya Organic or Meze Elite vs Caldera?
I typically don't like to just drop a link of one of my videos without context, but I did just do a video comparing the Elite and Caldera on my channel. My channel is in my sig if you care to check it out.

With that, I'll be listening to the Arya Organic tomorrow and looking forward to it!!

Jun 25, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #28 of 269
Had an absolute blast day 1. Dan Clark Stealth was the star of the show for me. I knew almost nothing about them going in other than their reputation to be one of the hardest headphones to drive, and wanting to demo some more closed-backs after being pleasantly surprised by the HD820 given their awful awful reputation. By far the best closed back I have ever heard, the first time in a long time I've been blown away by a pair of headphones. I didn't realize the price point they were at until getting home and checking what a unit would cost me, now seriously mulling over playing in a price range I previous thought was mostly marketing.

The other surprise of the show for me was the Stax Omega IIs. I've been reading about these for . . . maybe 20 years now? So was excited to finally get to demo a pair. Was at the absolutely top of my list. Maybe my expectations were too high but I was severely disappointed by them. I hope to get a chance to demo again tomorrow maybe through a BHSE and see if my impression improves. But I was thinking 'planars but better' but instead got 'planar-like that get destroyed by any test track with lots of base'.

Interesting observation -- I am in the camp that keeps going back to the HD600 for extended listening, so very high on my list was to demo was the Focal Clear since so many people in that family give up the Senns for them. As far as I can tell there is exactly one focal headphone at the show -- the Utopia v1 in the dCS room! Was curious why these are so rare with how popular they are. Especially being a show sponsor.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back