Audeze MM-100
Jun 5, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #376 of 1,447
Nope, I have not heard any other headphones that have the same quality and slam in the Bass as Audeze. It goes very low and is linear down to the lowest frequencies below 20 Hz and they are fast. Audeze is known for that.
Even other Planars like Hifiman are not on the same level.
This is a ridiculous claim and completely false. There are tons of objective measurements that say otherwise. You’re trying to elevate an anecdotal claim above objective evidence. That is very amateurish on this forum.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #377 of 1,447
If a company is to cut corners to hit a price point, surely they choose the areas they think is the least impacted. They could have used plastic parts and gone with removable pads I guess and maybe that would have been better to some, but others would have moaned about that too. I like to think they are cutting corners wisely. What happens when the cups get warn though, can you rip them off and glue one new ones?

Jun 5, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #378 of 1,447
$400?

I have a $3000 MX4 and the pads are glued on. Dang.

Nope, I have not heard any other headphones that have the same quality and slam in the Bass as Audeze. It goes very low and is linear down to the lowest frequencies below 20 Hz and they are fast. Audeze is known for that.
Even other Planars like Hifiman are not on the same level.

The Nectar Bee planar’s pads are semi-velcro’d/snapped in place and the bass makes Audeze sound like a Porta Pro. Go figure 🤷‍♂️

Jun 6, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #379 of 1,447
The plastic mounts used by manufacturers aren't made of gold either. They are $5 a pair on ebay.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33029850875.html

Audeze glues them to tune the sound and technicalities related to the sound.

https://www.audeze.com/blogs/techno...ive-to-attach-earpads-on-our-upper-end-models

Ignorant people are IMHO plain.....never mind:beyersmile:

No kidding. And there are other companies with similar amounts of engineering prowess and excellent bass response in their headphones that don't use glue. There's also a lot of PR at work in this blog, a field I know because I've worked in it for 30 years.

Could Audeze make a headphone with clip-on pads? Sure. It chooses not to because of design decisions and ... the unwritten part ... because gluing is cheaper. Those savings hopefully are passed on to the consumer.

Did you really expect a premium brand like Audeze to write a blog that says, "We glue on pads because our frequency response is based on this design decision and because it's cheaper in the manufacturing process?" Of course not. That would be stupid marketing and PR for a premium brand.

But if you believe that engineering is the 100 percent sole reason behind the decision to glue pads, then I have oceanfront property in Saskatchewan to sell you.

Earpads contain glue in lots of cases with Abyss earpads leaking in some cases. Seems more like Audeze experimenting with the glue outside instead of inside the pad.

Do you have actual evidence that refutes Audezes blogpost or is every word by you pulled from your nether regions?

If no, why does anything you say hold water?

"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof."

As per the late great Hitchens.

Jun 6, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #380 of 1,447
This is a ridiculous claim and completely false. There are tons of objective measurements that say otherwise. You’re trying to elevate an anecdotal claim above objective evidence. That is very amateurish on this forum.
You can't tell how a pair of headphones sounds from simple frequency response measurements. Even if two headphones have the same FR, they never sound the same.

The Nectar Bees may even have better bass than the Audezes (I don't know, I've never tried them) BUT they are massively lacking in upper frequencies (as I've read on forums) It's designed to put everything into bass response. Each Planar headphone is engineered differently, and it turns out that the glued ear pads on the Audeze headphones are slightly better for them. I don’t know what’s so hard to understand. You can't compare two headphones with the same core technology because they are still completely different.

A BMW might be just as fast as a Mercedes, but you can't change parts in the engine and still expect 100% the same performance. This is not how engineering works.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #381 of 1,447
If a company is to cut corners to hit a price point, surely they choose the areas they think is the least impacted. They could have used plastic parts and gone with removable pads I guess and maybe that would have been better to some, but others would have moaned about that too. I like to think they are cutting corners wisely. What happens when the cups get warn though, can you rip them off and glue one new ones?

Audeze tried the plastic parts thing (to lessen weight) with the LCD1s. They sounded great but the plastic headband developed cracks, eventually snapping, so they've not gone down that road again.

Jun 6, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #382 of 1,447
You can't tell how a pair of headphones sounds from simple frequency response measurements. Even if two headphones have the same FR, they never sound the same.

The Nectar Bees may even have better bass than the Audezes (I don't know, I've never tried them) BUT they are massively lacking in upper frequencies (as I've read on forums) It's designed to put everything into bass response. Each Planar headphone is engineered differently, and it turns out that the glued ear pads on the Audeze headphones are slightly better for them. I don’t know what’s so hard to understand. You can't compare two headphones with the same core technology because they are still completely different.

A BMW might be just as fast as a Mercedes, but you can't change parts in the engine and still expect 100% the same performance. This is not how engineering works.
If a headphone shows measurements of flat bass down to 20hz, then that headphone produces flat bass down to 20hz. No one cares what you or anyone prefers in terms of sound signature. That’s like saying chocolate is better than vanilla because you prefer it.

I’ve owned almost all the flagship headphones by Audeze, Hifiman, Abyss, and Meze. And the bass quality of Audeze is not any better than any of the other brands flagships.

So you don’t like objective measurements? You think your subjective hearing trumps scientifically objective and repeatable measurements?

Good to know. Now I can ignore your worthless comments from here on out.

Jun 6, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #383 of 1,447
Do you have actual evidence that refutes Audezes blogpost or is every word by you pulled from your nether regions?
Do you have actual evidence, other than a PR blog post, from Audeze's accounting department that proves cost savings also wasn't a factor in the decision to glue pads? My point all along was that engineering decisions AND cost savings almost certainly played a role in this design decision. It's sexy for a company to describe its engineering processes in a corporate PR blog; it's far from attractive to admit cost savings also were part of that decision, especially when dealing with a luxury, higher-end product.

For example: Nike will tell you about every feature of the new LeBron or other new signature basketball shoe in advertising or a blog. They won't tell you the shoe was manufactured in a sweat shop factory in Vietnam or China to save costs and increase profit margins.

The amount of trust you cats place in corporate PR is both reassuring and chilling to this practitioner of the craft for the last 35 years. Good PR never lies. But it can omit or obscure certain portions of truth to suit its objectives along the way ...

Jun 6, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #384 of 1,447
I find it unbelievable that a forum dedicated to the excitement of a new product launch has been watered down to a three day discussion on pads.

Pads that you can still purchase after the fact. Still replace if they get damaged and still buy at a super low price compared to the competition making magnetic options.

Obviously three people on this forum have a heavy case of Kollaphobia but I think it’s an absurd thing to be giving so much time towards.

Still excited about the MM-100 and hope it’s a true contender to the Sundara & Edition XS.

Jun 6, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #385 of 1,447
If a headphone shows measurements of flat bass down to 20hz, then that headphone produces flat bass down to 20hz. No one cares what you or anyone prefers in terms of sound signature. That’s like saying chocolate is better than vanilla because you prefer it.

I’ve owned almost all the flagship headphones by Audeze, Hifiman, Abyss, and Meze. And the bass quality of Audeze is not any better than any of the other brands flagships.

So you don’t like objective measurements? You think your subjective hearing trumps scientifically objective and repeatable measurements?

Good to know. Now I can ignore your worthless comments from here on out.
do you see on your "objective measurements" the response time of the driver, resonances (waterfall diagram), distortion, step response, Groupdelay....? i can list much more things like this.

If you want to go scientific, then do it right. Just looking at the frequency graph is not enough.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #386 of 1,447
I find it unbelievable that a forum dedicated to the excitement of a new product launch has been watered down to a three day discussion on pads.

Pads that you can still purchase after the fact. Still replace if they get damaged and still buy at a super low price compared to the competition making magnetic options.

Obviously three people on this forum have a heavy case of Kollaphobia but I think it’s an absurd thing to be giving so much time towards.

Still excited about the MM-100 and hope it’s a true contender to the Sundara & Edition XS.
I had to look up "kollaphobia" -- thanks for expanding my vocab. I don't have a fear of glue; I love my LCD-X 2021. I just snicker at some's blind belief that cost savings played zero role in Audeze's design decisions. That's all.

But yes, you're right: Onward and upward with discussion of the MM-100, glued pads and all. :) I hope it's a kickass set of cans that disrupts the under $500 market segment.

Jun 6, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #387 of 1,447
do you see on your "objective measurements" the response time of the driver, resonances (waterfall diagram), distortion, step response, Groupdelay....? i can list much more things like this.

If you want to go scientific, then do it right. Just looking at the frequency graph is not enough.
Uh yeah. That’s standard for measurements. Maybe do a little research before posting. Many of us in here have been doing this for decades. You sound like a noob.

Jun 6, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #388 of 1,447

A fleeting comment was made about glued pads. It’s a valid criticism. Other manufacturers get criticized for their design choices. I don’t think Abyss is capable of making a headphone that is comfortable to wear. It’s normal for people to talk about these things in a DISCUSSION forum.

Nowhere does it say we all have to bow down and give only unbridled praise. If you all weren’t fighting so hard to dispel a legitimate criticism, this never would have escalated for this long.

It’s a discussion. People are allowed to banter about whatever they want. If the glued pads don’t bother you then great! But guess what? It might bother others. You’re not the only who gets a say.

Jun 6, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #389 of 1,447
Uh yeah. That’s standard for measurements. Maybe do a little research before posting. Many of us in here have been doing this for decades. You sound like a noob.
Well, If you've been doing this for decades and it's standard for measurements then you should know that most headphones sound different even if they go flat down to 20hz.

it is completely pointless that I continue to comment here, I am out.

Jun 6, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #390 of 1,447
A fleeting comment was made about glued pads. It’s a valid criticism. Other manufacturers get criticized for their design choices. I don’t think Abyss is capable of making a headphone that is comfortable to wear. It’s normal for people to talk about these things in a DISCUSSION forum.

Nowhere does it say we all have to bow down and give only unbridled praise. If you all weren’t fighting so hard to dispel a legitimate criticism, this never would have escalated for this long.

It’s a discussion. People are allowed to banter about whatever they want. If the glued pads don’t bother you then great! But guess what? It might bother others. You’re not the only who gets a say.
I never once said I was the only person who gets a say. I've also never said we all have to collectively bow down to Audeze. I've been simply stating the facts that Audeze has presented to us. They've taken a lot of time and effort into addressing the very concern that you three have been making conspiracy theories for three days now when it absolutely doesn't matter.

I just spent $400 on a pair of bass ported Abyss pads. If magnetic pads are what you'd like Audeze to switch to as opposed to glue and charge $800 instead of the $400 on an MM-100 you can count me out. MM-100 is a studio tool made for recording.

All i'm hearing from you are complaints and insults to other members on this forum.

Can't wait to hear your upcoming direct insult to me and the subsequent forum moderator to erase your rude remarks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back