Audeze MM-100
Jun 4, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #346 of 1,447
It depends on your personal taste. If you prefer precise, yet natural headphones that don't meticulously impose every detail on you, then the Diana V2 is a solid choice. But then I find it difficult to describe a headphone that costs 4 times as much as the LCD 2 (my 2.2 was a lot cheaper) as better, especially since the LCD2 does certain things better than the Diana V2. For me, the LCD 2.2 is comparable to an HD600. He may not give you the best of the best in a particular category, but he does what he does with such unique skill that you really don't need more. With the HD600 it's the way everything subordinates to the voices and the singer really comes to the fore and with the LCD2.2 it's this effordless smooth big sound that surrounds you and gives you your music in a very energetic, lively and warm form presents.
Not knocking your preferences. I think LCDX 2021 is one of my favorite headphones of all time regardless of price. I don’t think the current Audeze lineup below LCD5 can compete at all on a technical level to anything that Abyss has but you’re right about the Audeze warmth. Especially if you’ve got a pre-fazor.

Jun 4, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #347 of 1,447
I get the sense you are merely shilling for Audeze and/or have a personal vendetta with Hifiman. Either way, not very convincing.

And yet other manufacturers can get a proper seal with snap on or magnetic approach. I think it’s just easier and less costly to do this.
Dan Clark uses same excuse -- only way they can get a proper seal. I'm calling BS design on both. As @Beagle said, other companies can get proper seal with snap- or clip-on pads.

One of the reasons I sold my DCA Aeon 2 Closed with Noire pads was excessive cabin pressure caused by the tight seal and strong clamping force of the Nitinol headband. Made the cans painful to use, for both my inner ear and skull. No bueno.

That said, I've LOVED the LCD-2C and LCD-X 2021 that I've owned from Audeze.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #348 of 1,447
Dan Clark uses same excuse -- only way they can get a proper seal. I'm calling BS design on both. As @Beagle said, other companies can get proper seal with snap- or clip-on pads.
I'm not an engineer but Sankar & Pete Uka are and they've been making Audeze's for 15 years. I'm sure what they're saying on their website is true. I certainly wouldn't be calling BS on any of their engineering decisions. I'd be shocked if they are purposefully making design choices in spite of what other manufacturers are doing.

Jun 4, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #349 of 1,447
I'm not an engineer but Sankar & Pete Uka are and they've been making Audeze's for 15 years. I'm sure what they're saying on their website is true. I certainly wouldn't be calling BS on any of their engineering decisions. I'd be shocked if they are purposefully making design choices in spite of what other manufacturers are doing.
+
and also it does not bring the company any additional profit if they glue it. They must have a very good reason.

Jun 4, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #350 of 1,447
I'm calling BS design on both. As @Beagle said, other companies can get proper seal with snap- or clip-on pads.

+1

I am happy to have learned this prior to buying MM-100. Not sure yet if this is a deal breaker, but my enthusiasm has definitely subsided :frowning2:

Jun 4, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #351 of 1,447
+1

I am happy to have learned this prior to buying MM-100. Not sure yet if this is a deal breaker, but my enthusiasm has definitely subsided :frowning2:
Why?

How often are you changing pads on your Audeze headphones?

I’ve had my LCDX’s since they launched and the pads are in pristine condition still.

Jun 4, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #352 of 1,447
I'm sure what they're saying on their website is true. I certainly wouldn't be calling BS on any of their engineering decisions. I'd be shocked if they are purposefully making design choices in spite of what other manufacturers are doing.
When did marketing become a matter of fact?

Some individuals place way too much trust in companies that eagerly want to open your wallet.

Jun 4, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #353 of 1,447
Why not provide a second set of pads and adhesives? Many manufacturers provide more than one set of pads with their headphones.

Also, since most of Audeze headphones are open, I’m not sure this “absolute seal” (that they claim is required) is that vital.

So there, another day closer to the MM100 😆

Jun 4, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #354 of 1,447
When did marketing become a matter of fact?

Some individuals place way too much trust in companies that eagerly want to open your wallet.
This is a conversation about pads though. What is it that’s not trusting about being able to easily replace a pad. Audeze pads last years and years with little to no wear. And this isn’t a marketing decision, it’s an engineering one.

All I was saying is I’m sure there’s a good reason to put trust in Audeze for making decisions on their own products.

Jun 4, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #355 of 1,447
Audeze pads last years and years with little to no wear.

Pads touch our skin. That is reason enough to want to change them from time to time. Most manufacturers (and users) understand this.

Jun 4, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #356 of 1,447
Not knocking your preferences. I think LCDX 2021 is one of my favorite headphones of all time regardless of price. I don’t think the current Audeze lineup below LCD5 can compete at all on a technical level to anything that Abyss has but you’re right about the Audeze warmth. Especially if you’ve got a pre-fazor.
Technical quality is not worth much to me in music. High end headphones come with one thing they are very good at and that's it, only you're spending exponentially more money on them. You only expect such a quality from such a price and then it is nothing special anymore. Rather than having headphones that try to be the best in one area, I want headphones that grab me emotionally, that make me feel like I'm with the artist for a moment, like a photo youre looking at that takes moment, a snapshot you pull out the song and hear all the information and breath from the artist like youre in the recording studio at the same moment - just like I did with the LCD-X. But currently I'm falling for the LCD2 I've never heard a more musical headphone. So I can do without the 20% extra resolution.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #357 of 1,447
Except that it is bs. It’s not even up for debate since other companies literally have open back headphones, without glued on pads, that are capable of producing flat bass down to 20hz.

As stated earlier, Hifiman, Meze, Abyss, Final Audio, and ZMF just to name a few off the top of my head.

And I’m pretty sure the HEDDphone and Goldplanar don’t have glued on pads either. And there are still models by ThieAudio and Moondrop that can do it, too.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #358 of 1,447
Except that it is bs. It’s not even up for debate since other companies literally have open back headphones, without glued on pads, that are capable of producing flat bass down to 20hz.
I suspect that it comes down to some very different other design choices made by those other manufacturers— so, it’s not that it’s impossible to do in the absolute sense just that it’s not as feasible given other design choices Audeze has made for other reasons. Obviously, it’s a deal killer for some people who like to pad roll, and I’m sure Audeze understands that and yet has decided the tradeoff is worth it.

Jun 4, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #359 of 1,447
I suspect that it comes down to some very different other design choices made by those other manufacturers— so, it’s not that it’s impossible to do in the absolute sense just that it’s not as feasible given other design choices Audeze has made for other reasons. Obviously, it’s a deal killer for some people who like to pad roll, and I’m sure Audeze understands that and yet has decided the tradeoff is worth it.
Agreed. It’s a necessity based on THEIR engineering choice. But it’s absolutely not a necessity in a general sense.

The Final d8000 series uses an air dampening system for their drivers. So their earpads are specifically designed to be very open and breathable. Those drivers are so well engineered that they can produce flat bass down to 20hz without even needing 2nd and 3rd order harmonics to do it (cup resonance).

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #360 of 1,447
Pads touch our skin. That is reason enough to want to change them from time to time. Most manufacturers (and users) understand this.
And in the case of used headphones, someone else’s skin. Many people would like to put a new set of pads on a used headphone at a reasonable price, especially if they’ve come from a smoke-filled, animal infested home 😝

I don’t change pads unless there is obvious wear or damage. I’m mostly content to use a sticky dust roller or wipe down leather or vinyl pads with a slightly damp cloth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back