Audeze MM-100
Apr 4, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #46 of 1,466
At $400 if this is the case, then why not just purchase the Maxwell?
Because the Maxwell is closed back, wireless and includes DSP -- none of which I want. But it appears the drivers and tuning of the Maxwell are very solid. Build upon that with a true open back based on the MM-500, and you may have a winner for me.

Apr 4, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #47 of 1,466
I mean, the LCD-1 didn't meaningfully compete with any of the higher end models, while depending on what this turns out to be, I could see the MM100 competing against an LCD2C.

I don't want to make my expectations too high, as to avoid being disappointed, but color me excited for these!
I doubt it will compete with the LCD-2C. That's a very dark, warm, bassy headphone without much upper-end detail. Super-fun with classic rock and other poor recordings, but not the greatest all-arounder without extensive EQ.

The Maxwell was praised for good balance. Not sure how much of that is achieved with DSP, but it sounds like the bones of the driver and the tuning are solid.

I'm pretty stoked for the MM-100, too! Very keen to read early impressions. Has anyone seen a release date from Audeze?

Apr 4, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #48 of 1,466
For those that aren't looking for a wireless headphone that's geared towards portable listening, buying something like the MM-100 to use with their DAC/Amps/combos/DAPs makes more sense, assuming it sounds good.

For example, I have no desire to own wireless full size headphones. When I'm going for portability and convinience, wireless buds/IEMs fill that role much better for me. However, I love using good over ears for listening at home or in situations where I can be plugged in and enjoying a high quality music listening experience. Basically, for someone like me the Maxwell is a non-starter, but the MM-100 represents an attractive possibility of an affordable priced planar to add to my rotation *if* Audeze gets the tuning and technical abilities right and the MM-100 is competitive and sounds good.
BINGO. Very well said. Nailed my bull's-eye.
If the Maxwell had a non-DSP wired headphone out, would this still be the case for you?
No. I don't want or like closed-back headphones. I suffer from pretty severe tinnitus, and closed-backs are not good for that. Plus, as @JAnonymous5150 said, most wireless headphones that offer wired connectivity are tuned to work best when wireless, usually through DSP.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #49 of 1,466
BINGO. Very well said. Nailed my bull's-eye.

No. I don't want or like closed-back headphones. I suffer from pretty severe tinnitus, and closed-backs are not good for that. Plus, as @JAnonymous5150 said, most wireless headphones that offer wired connectivity are tuned to work best when wireless, usually through DSP.
Hi @pk4425 I have tinnitus as well and was hesitant before buying closed back Bathys BUT w/active noise cancelling I find I can listen at lower volume and net-net, thus far it is either neutral or even beneficial re. tinnitus.

Apr 4, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #50 of 1,466
Hi @pk4425 I have tinnitus as well and was hesitant before buying closed back Bathys BUT w/active noise cancelling I find I can listen at lower volume and net-net, thus far it is either neutral or even beneficial re. tinnitus.
Glad it works for you. I have no need for wireless nor desire to pay $800 for a wireless, ANC can. I don't play my music loud on wired. Almost never over 80 decibels, as I check with a phone-app meter that I place inside my cups before listening.

Thanks.

Apr 4, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #52 of 1,466
Almost never over 80 decibels, as I check with a phone-app meter that I place inside my cups before listening
I use a sound level meter instead, factory calibrated and with a narrow error margin (usually +/- 3dB or less)

Apr 4, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #53 of 1,466
I use a sound level meter instead, factory calibrated and with a narrow error margin (usually +/- 3dB or less)
I've used about three or four different FREE phone decibel meter apps, including the one I kept that was offered by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, and they've all measured within 2 or 3 dB of each other. So, either they all suck, or they're close enough for me. :)

I'm just trying to protect my hearing, not complete an official inspection for OSHA! :)

Thanks.

Apr 4, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #54 of 1,466
Apr 4, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #55 of 1,466
I've used about three or four different FREE phone decibel meter apps, including the one I kept that was offered by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, and they've all measured within 2 or 3 dB of each other. So, either they all suck, or they're close enough for me. :)

I'm just trying to protect my hearing, not complete an official inspection for OSHA! :)

Thanks.
Problem is that you need to calibrate the phone’s mic to get accurate readings. Anyway, nothing could be further from my intention than to annoy you.

Apr 4, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #57 of 1,466
Problem is that you need to calibrate the phone’s mic to get accurate readings. Anyway, nothing could be further from my intention than to annoy you.
Nah, you're not annoying me at all!

I appreciate your attention to accuracy. I'm just not willing to pay for that kind of precision, which I don't really need. I just need a ballpark figure.

Apr 4, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #58 of 1,466
Some of it is, especially anything from the late 80s onward, when the loudness wars started to plague studios worldwide.
There was no classic rock after the late 80’s but I get what you’re saying.

Apr 4, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #59 of 1,466
I’m super excited by these. I‘ve owned the Mobius, Penrose, LCD-2C and LCD-X. What I want is a LCD-X lite. Something not as heavy or expensive. I had the EL-8 open at one point and really liked those but it was really early in my audio journey. Something like those without the proprietary cables. Never tried the LCD1 but those didn’t seem to be received with that much enthusiasm. The Maxwells look great, but I prefer open backs. Hope we get some details soon.

Apr 4, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #60 of 1,466
Wow, just found this... While I have been saving up for MM-500 for a while (almost pulled the trigger at Canjam SG), this one would definitely be a much better value buy instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back