Audeze MM-100
Oct 13, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #1,231 of 1,452
So, are they ever coming to Europe ?

Oct 13, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #1,232 of 1,452
Thanks for the additional info, Thermos. Hearing your ME reaction is much appreciated! :)

So no warm/sweaty ears in long sessions, as has been reported by other early owners? I've been sceptical of the new artificial leather pads myself, both with regards to comfort and sound. Never had a pair of cans with artificial leather pads that I really liked.
What's your take on them, compared to the leather pads on the TOTL models for example? Are the new pads part of the brighter and flatter sound you mention, or would that be more down to the drivers and other factors, you reckon?

The price is still good, even if we'll have to pay closer to $600 for them in Europe. Will they get here before Xmas and will the wiring problems on some of them have been taken care of by then, is what we're also concerned about over here at the moment. We still haven't had a chance to test them ourselves.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #1,234 of 1,452
Oct 13, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #1,235 of 1,452
Thanks for the additional info, Thermos. Hearing your ME reaction is much appreciated! :)

So no warm/sweaty ears in long sessions, as has been reported by other early owners? I've been sceptical of the new artificial leather pads myself, both with regards to comfort and sound. Never had a pair of cans with artificial leather pads that I really liked.
What's your take on them, compared to the leather pads on the TOTL models for example? Are the new pads part of the brighter and flatter sound you mention, or would that be more down to the drivers and other factors, you reckon?

The price is still good, even if we'll have to pay closer to $600 for them in Europe. Will they get here before Xmas and will the wiring problems on some of them have been taken care of by then, is what we're also concerned about over here at the moment. We still haven't had a chance to test them ourselves.
Is that because of VAT? $200 more is a lot though IMO. That's another 50%.

Oct 13, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #1,236 of 1,452
Yes, one factor is VAT: 25% in Denmark, Sweden and Norway; 24% in Finland and Iceland. Germany has 19%, the UK 20%, France 20%, Italy 22% and so on.

Here in Norway the Norwegian Krone is at an all time low in relation to the US Dollar. Sweden is similar as far as I know. Making US products very expensive.

A third factor is the greed of Norwegian wholesale and retail companies and the Norwegian State - citizens are being ripped off big time over here.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #1,237 of 1,452
VAT is levied on (price + cost of transport to the boarder + insurance), so effective rate is higher.

Weak local currencies do not help :frowning2:

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #1,238 of 1,452
20% more I could live with, but 50% is a rip off. Any US friends who can help? Or a shipping service. They'd ship you the package after it was sent to them? Although I'm unsure how the import duties would work. I had someone overseas suggest undervaluing the package and I've gotten stuff from overseas that were incorrectly marked probably to avoid paying too much customs. Maybe it's not ethical though. I guess it would be up to the individual.

Oct 13, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #1,239 of 1,452

I am still getting to know them. My initial impression was that they were just cheaper mm500s, but again they are tuned quite different! MUCH brighter. Not too bright so far, but it's a big difference. I just went between LCD5, MM500 and MM100. To me MM100 sounds the most different. Having the other 2, I would STILL find these useful. They don't always display the same quality for the high end (which is something I find with some brighter headphones sometimes). A nice warm album recorded to tape for example sounds like it.

I haven't done an extended listening/working session. I've worn them for maybe 2 hrs. They feel a bit different on the ears, no more or less comfortable just different. It's clear from the feeling that they would probably drastically influence the sound, as do the sculpted LCD5 pads. Haven't gotten to the sweaty ear stage yet.

Oct 14, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #1,240 of 1,452
I am still getting to know them. My initial impression was that they were just cheaper mm500s, but again they are tuned quite different! MUCH brighter. Not too bright so far, but it's a big difference. I just went between LCD5, MM500 and MM100. To me MM100 sounds the most different. Having the other 2, I would STILL find these useful. They don't always display the same quality for the high end (which is something I find with some brighter headphones sometimes). A nice warm album recorded to tape for example sounds like it.

I haven't done an extended listening/working session. I've worn them for maybe 2 hrs. They feel a bit different on the ears, no more or less comfortable just different. It's clear from the feeling that they would probably drastically influence the sound, as do the sculpted LCD5 pads. Haven't gotten to the sweaty ear stage yet.

Brighter is ok in my book... long as it isn't too sibilant. I can't afford the MM-500, so it's a moot point. But on graphs (like the one below), it appears too mid-centered for my taste. And lacking in both the treble and sub-bass.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgeovbx06fnglbn/Audeze MM-500.pdf?dl=0

Perahaps it will look different though measured on the HBK 5128 mannikin.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #1,241 of 1,452

"MUCH brighter" - ouch! I had hoped they would have tapered down that 3K bump at least some from the 500. But I guess I was just dreaming. Manny likes it like that and these are part of the MM series after all. For mixing modern pop it may be helpful, but for mastering not so much I'm afraid. I'm curious about what can realisticly be done with EQ to deal with that brightness? Keep us posted, Thermos, when you've had a chance to work with them some more in mastering.

I'm looking forward to hearing them when they finally arrive here. On Thoman.no they have this to say today:

https://www.thomannmusic.no/audeze_mm_100.htm

"This item has sold out and has been re-ordered. Unfortunately, our supplier cannot guarantee delivery within the next three months........". Not too promising for potential European customers. 6199 NOK is roughly 566 USD.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #1,242 of 1,452
"MUCH brighter" - ouch! I had hoped they would have tapered down that 3K bump at least some from the 500. But I guess I was just dreaming. Manny likes it like that and these are part of the MM series after all. For mixing modern pop it may be helpful, but for mastering not so much I'm afraid. I'm curious about what can realisticly be done with EQ to deal with that brightness? Keep us posted, Thermos, when you've had a chance to work with them some more in mastering.

I'm looking forward to hearing them when they finally arrive here. On Thoman.no they have this to say today:

https://www.thomannmusic.no/audeze_mm_100.htm

"This item has sold out and has been re-ordered. Unfortunately, our supplier cannot guarantee delivery within the next three months........". Not too promising for potential European customers. 6199 NOK is roughly 566 USD.
No, they did tame down the 3k (at least it sounds more balanced to me). And it's not too bright! It's funny how anything you post on this site gets turned into a negative haha.

Oct 15, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #1,243 of 1,452

Which of the three would you say have smoother treble? Additionally, how do each of them perform in the treble region? Lastly, does the MM-100 have just as flat/linear of a bass response?

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #1,244 of 1,452
While there's still plenty of discussion to be had on the sound signature moving forward, I would like to add to the comfortability and durability discussion of the MM-100.

I just fitted 3/16 in. rubber washers to the inner headphone posts. This may seem unnecessary and dependent on preference, but here are some thoughts.

I'd consider the headphone strap post-holes to be the weakest point of construction on the MM-100 overall due to the stretching hanging nature of the strap. With its pleather material, these are bound to be the first replacement or upgrade to another material.

In the meantime, adding rubber washers will enable more of the strap surface area to be utilized, which should allow increased integrity for the life of the strap while avoiding excessive post-hole stretching from general usage.

You will lose the easily adjustable aspect to the strap, but gain some fine-tuning in the fitting from a secured strap. With the stock setup, I'd say the inner cups rested slightly on the tops of my ears. Whereas with the washers, the strap now has less leeway and a elevated fit with my ears now centered.

These washers are slim enough without having to hard press into the strap when re-securing the inner strap-posts, and are flexible enough to move with the strap while the headphones are being worn. Plumbing washers had been way to thick, avoid those. Sandwiching these thin washers per post hole is also a consideration, but that might impact the base integrity of the strap and would add more rigidity to the flexibility at those connection points.

Overall the washers have added to a more comfortable and secure fit on my head, while the strap should last longer with durability in mind. Cheers!

Attachments

• PXL_20231015_114134824.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20231015_114134824.MP~2.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231015_114746388.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20231015_114746388.MP~2.jpg
    770.6 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231015_114236540.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231015_114236540.MP.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231015_113201690.MP~3.jpg
    PXL_20231015_113201690.MP~3.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231015_112815220.MP~5.jpg
    PXL_20231015_112815220.MP~5.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #1,245 of 1,452
Which of the three would you say have smoother treble? Additionally, how do each of them perform in the treble region? Lastly, does the MM-100 have just as flat/linear of a bass response?
After making sure the strap was the correct, I wouldn’t say MM100 are MUCH brighter, just brighter in that it seems more present where lcd5 and mm500 are recessed a bit.

Lcd5 has the smoothest and most extended treble response. MM100 has super deep linear bass but it isn’t as detailed or punchy. You get more detail as you move up the $ in terms of imaging, width, punch etc.

I haven’t tried mastering a full record with mm100 but have no doubt I could. I bet these will fly off the shelves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back