Audeze LCD3 Initial Impression
Oct 17, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #136 of 347
A nomenclature question: Pardon my ignorance, but is the LCD 'rev. 1' an actual revision, or 'version 1'? If it's a revision, what is it a revision of?  A version '.5' perhaps? Or is it a revision of the LCD 1? In that case, why not just simply call it LCD '2'? The terms can get confusing. I seem to recall one of the revisions was about the headband. In that case, why not: 'LCD 2, revision 1'? At least now they have moved on to LCD '3.'  

In any event and beside the point-- it would be nice if they moved on from that plastic grill design, IMO. And bring back a darker wood.

I can imagine the fellows at Aud'eze are both appreciative and annoyed no end by all of these nit-picking comments, lol.

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #137 of 347
There is a LCD 1 that saw limited production and I believe was pretty much Audeze testing the waters. Then came the LCD2 rev1, which underwent many minor changes over about a year. Then a few months ago decreasing driver reliability forced Audeze to introduce the LCD2 rev2 which introduced a new more reliable driver with everything else the same as the LCD2 rev1

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #139 of 347

Quote:
A nomenclature question: Pardon my ignorance, but is the LCD 'rev. 1' an actual revision, or 'version 1'? If it's a revision, what is it a revision of?  A version '.5' perhaps? Or is it a revision of the LCD 1? In that case, why not just simply call it LCD '2'? The terms can get confusing. I seem to recall one of the revisions was about the headband. In that case, why not: 'LCD 2, revision 1'? At least now they have moved on to LCD '3.'  

In any event and beside the point-- it would be nice if they moved on from that plastic grill design, IMO. And bring back a darker wood.

I can imagine the fellows at Aud'eze are both appreciative and annoyed no end by all of these nit-picking comments, lol.

There were cosmetic, ergonomic, and functional revisions of the original LCD-2 including angled cable connectors, new foam headband material, new leather headband, grill re-design, two adjustment block changes, three stock cable changes, and the earpads have been re-designed once or twice. To me that all adds up to the first revision (rev.1), as the second revision is where they actually changed the driver material and hence the sound (rev.2). IMO Audeze should have called the model with the driver change the LCD-2.5 to help alleviate confusion, but "the marketplace has spoken" at this point.

I'm not sure what you mean with the plastic grills, I am under the impression that they have always been made out of metal. 

edit: Hero Kid makes a valid point...

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #140 of 347
Thanks for the info. It is a bit confusing.

I thought this question was pertinent enough to fit in an Aud'eze thread, particularly as a new numbered model is announced. If this has been clearly discussed elsewhere, my fault. The amount of post/info on this manufactuer here can be a bit overwhelming however.

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #142 of 347

Quote:
By the way, I was also just wishing to subscribe to this thread. I didn't know a question about the evolution of this product would be taken as ill-fit.

Don't worry about it, I for one appreciated the explanation as I haven't followed the history of Audeze's releases and I had mistakenly assumed the LCD3 was just a replacement for the LCD2r2...

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #143 of 347

Quote:
You better hope that's not what it's doing. If it were, your music would start sounding like The Chipmonks.

se

You don't own an LCD3 and can't comment on whether or not it has the capability to change atmospheric pressure. 
biggrin.gif

But all headphone will indeed affect the pressure only inside that space between the driver and the ear.  Some headphones can even affect the effects of gravity on your wallet.

hahahahahah.  (that's me laughing at my own joke...)

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #144 of 347
Or in my case, in the space between my ears LOL

Quote:

You don't own an LCD3 and can't comment on whether or not it has the capability to change atmospheric pressure. 
biggrin.gif

But all headphone will indeed affect the pressure only inside that space between the driver and the ear.  Some headphones can even affect the effects of gravity on your wallet. 
hahahahahah.  (that's me laughing at my own joke...)

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #145 of 347
True, countries with many speakers have relatively high barometric pressure...
basshead.gif

SP wild: since your first post was not a joke, I suggest you brush up on sound wave propagation,  pressure variations are fortunetaly very small relative to the static pressure, there's no significant change. Fortunately, as you would litteraly bleed your ears off :wink:

http://www.indiana.edu/~emusic/etext/acoustics/chapter1_sound.shtml

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #146 of 347

Quote:
True, countries with many speakers have relatively high barometric pressure...
basshead.gif

SP wild: since your first post was not a joke, I suggest you brush up on sound wave propagation,  pressure variations are fortunetaly very small relative to the static pressure, there's no significant change. Fortunately, as you would litteraly bleed your ears off :wink:

http://www.indiana.edu/~emusic/etext/acoustics/chapter1_sound.shtml

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound

"Sound is a mechanical wave that is an oscillation of pressure transmitted through a solid, liquid, or gas, composed of frequencies within the range of hearing and of a level sufficiently strong to be heard, or the sensation stimulated in organs of hearing by such vibrations."

OK Obviously the use of "atmospheric pressure" in my first post was stupid, that has been corrected.  So I like to use big word to sound smart, sometimes going way off the mark.  Don't we all like to sound intelligent sometimes?  If you prick me, do I not bleed? If you prick a little harder, do I not get stimulated?

eek.gif

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #147 of 347

Quote:

OK Obviously the use of "atmospheric pressure" in my first post was stupid, that has been corrected. 

Actually that wasn't the problem with your post. In such a small space such as inside the ear cup of a headphone, for the most part, that's what you've got, a change in atmospheric pressure. The acoustical wavelengths are long compared to the space they're confined to.

My objection was to do with the lighter diaphragm being a faster diaphragm that can change pressure quicker.

All else being equal, a diaphragm changes pressure quicker only if you increase the magnitude or increase the frequency.

So if a driver is capable of reproducing a given frequency at a given amplitude, it's just as "fast" as any other driver capable of the same thing, regardless of how light or heavy the diaphragm is. If it changes any faster, there's either an increase in magnitude, frequency or both.

se

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #148 of 347

Quote:

Actually that wasn't the problem with your post. In such a small space such as inside the ear cup of a headphone, for the most part, that's what you've got, a change in atmospheric pressure. The acoustical wavelengths are long compared to the space they're confined to.

My objection was to do with the lighter diaphragm being a faster diaphragm that can change pressure quicker.

All else being equal, a diaphragm changes pressure quicker only if you increase the magnitude or increase the frequency.

So if a driver is capable of reproducing a given frequency at a given amplitude, it's just as "fast" as any other driver capable of the same thing, regardless of how light or heavy the diaphragm is. If it changes any faster, there's either an increase in magnitude, frequency or both.

se

Yes, so true, I do stand corrected.

What if I say that a lighter diaphragm all else being equal increases the rate of pressure change?

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #149 of 347
You can see my LCD3 (and LCD2) impressions on 5 different rigs by clicking the link in my signature. They vary quite a lot.

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #150 of 347

Quote:

There were cosmetic, ergonomic, and functional revisions of the original LCD-2 including angled cable connectors, new foam headband material, new leather headband, grill re-design, two adjustment block changes, three stock cable changes, and the earpads have been re-designed once or twice. To me that all adds up to the first revision (rev.1), as the second revision is where they actually changed the driver material and hence the sound (rev.2). IMO Audeze should have called the model with the driver change the LCD-2.5 to help alleviate confusion, but "the marketplace has spoken" at this point.

I'm not sure what you mean with the plastic grills, I am under the impression that they have always been made out of metal. 

edit: Hero Kid makes a valid point...

Looks like Audeze hates disclosing changes they make or are going to make to their headphones. It would have been helpful if they had chosen Canjam to disclose if they were contemplating incorporating any of the design improvements of the newer LCD-3 in the current model of the LCD-2. Mainly among them
  • The new leather ear pads
  • The angled connectors
  • The improved cushioned headband.

Looks like one has to find out by themselves when the LCDs start shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back