AUDEZE LCD XC
Jul 25, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #3,391 of 4,144
Yeah MX4 are my least favorite LCD’s. It is too midrange centric. I had the X I liked it but it started to sound too dark to me, so I sold it. The 4z seems to have a little more zing up top so that may work. I have several silver and hybrid cables, like Norne and Forza. For me it’s the 4z or nothing in Audeze. The other set I am looking at are the Meze Empyrean, they should be a little brighter too.

Well if you want a mellower sound that would be ZMF, if you want more analytical, then stick with the XC. The ZMF would be lighter too, but harder to drive.
i really wish i could LISTED to the ZMF tbh, if nothing else at least for a comparison.

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #3,395 of 4,144
Less bassy for sure, but from my memory in worst case scenario brightess in 2019 should be at least the same if not a tad less.

Thanks a lot for the comprehensive information on Audeze. They really should be paying you for putting together this information for them. Here is my take on the XC in particular. As you mentioned these and the MX4 were made for studio use and the funny thing reading all of the gear and studio forums, no one is using either of these models for that purpose. The XC is way to heavy for long tracking sessions and also too fragile for studio use, with the easily breakable wood cups. Honestly for tracking they are probably using something basis like DT770 or DT1770's. IMHO they really need a redesign fast on their closed backs with better tuning. They need to be smaller, lighter and a little less strident. By the very fact that in many cases they need to be modified out the box to be made listenable by more people at $1,200 is just crazy.

Same sort of thing for the MX4. Have read several forums and hardly any studio engineers using the MX4. Wrong sound signature. When I spoke with a tech from Audeze he mentioned actually their HP's that were the favorite of studios happened to be the X and the LCD 4/4z and he said their were tuned for a more "technical" sound.

None of this is aimed at your article or you. I am really addressing Audeze in particular. The HP world is moving quickly with lot of competition and Audeze is going to have to keep up or they surely will fall behind.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #3,397 of 4,144
Thanks a lot for the comprehensive information on Audeze. They really should be paying you for putting together this information for them. Here is my take on the XC in particular. As you mentioned these and the MX4 were made for studio use and the funny thing reading all of the gear and studio forums, no one is using either of these models for that purpose. The XC is way to heavy for long tracking sessions and also too fragile for studio use, with the easily breakable wood cups. Honestly for tracking they are probably using something basis like DT770 or DT1770's. IMHO they really need a redesign fast on their closed backs with better tuning. They need to be smaller, lighter and a little less strident. By the very fact that in many cases they need to be modified out the box to be made listenable by more people at $1,200 is just crazy.

Same sort of thing for the MX4. Have read several forums and hardly any studio engineers using the MX4. Wrong sound signature. When I spoke with a tech from Audeze he mentioned actually their HP's that were the favorite of studios happened to be the X and the LCD 4/4z and he said their were tuned for a more "technical" sound.

None of this is aimed at your article or you. I am really addressing Audeze in particular. The HP world is moving quickly with lot of competition and Audeze is going to have to keep up or they surely will fall behind.

It would be nice if they would drop me one pair as thanks but unfortunately no chance :). Audeze was my second planar magnetic model I've tried while having modified STAX SRS-3010 back in the days and LCD-2F Bamboo 2015 was my first conventional pair convincing enough to sell STAX and stick with this kind of technology. Since then I've had another LCD-2F Bamboo 2015, two LCD-3 2015, then sold everything, took about two years brake before pulling the trigger with LCD-2F Rosewood from fall 2015 (bought in 2017) and LCD-XC Creator Edition soon after (bought in mid-2018). Somewhere along the lines I've also brought iSine 20 as my top tier in-ears. Since LCD-2 will become a birthday gift for one of my family members, the only Audeze left would be iSine 20 and LCD-XC. Funny fact: I have approached LCD-XC four times and bought them after hearing new revisions.

In studio, headphones like DT770 or even old K240 Monitor (with similar tuning like MX4 or LCD-X) are used simply because the main work should be done on near-field monitors with proper setup anyway. So sturdy headphones with acceptible sound signature, ergonomics and exchangable parts are highly appreciated. Yes, it is kind of funny how XC can miss the spot with their fragile woodcups, but I would't be so sure they are so useless with critical listening. Although I can only tell from my experience with audio gear, not strictly sound production.

No offence taken, don't worry.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #3,398 of 4,144
I’m very interested to understand why or based in what you say the MX4 has a “wrong sound signature”.

I have both the XC and MX4.

As far as the MX4, I mentioned that because they are so based on the midrange, whereas the highs and lows seem a little neglected.You either want a very analytical headphone like the HD800 or a fairly neutral one like the Clear. If not a more warm neutral HP like the LCD X. I would say the XC is more suited for studios, except that its too heavy and too fragile for the rigors of studio usage.

It would be nice if they would drop me one pair as thanks but unfortunately no chance :). Audeze was my second planar magnetic model I've tried while having modified STAX SRS-3010 back in the days and LCD-2F Bamboo 2015 was my first conventional pair convincing enough to sell STAX and stick with this kind of technology. Since then I've had another LCD-2F Bamboo 2015, two LCD-3 2015, then sold everything, took about two years brake before pulling the trigger with LCD-2F Rosewood from fall 2015 (bought in 2017) and LCD-XC Creator Edition soon after (bought in mid-2018). Somewhere along the lines I've also brought iSine 20 as my top tier in-ears. Since LCD-2 will become a birthday gift for one of my family members, the only Audeze left would be iSine 20 and LCD-XC. Funny fact: I have approached LCD-XC four times and bought them after hearing new revisions.

In studio, headphones like DT770 or even old K240 Monitor (with similar tuning like MX4 or LCD-X) are used simply because the main work should be done on near-field monitors with proper setup anyway. So sturdy headphones with acceptible sound signature, ergonomics and exchangable parts are highly appreciated. Yes, it is kind of funny how XC can miss the spot with their fragile woodcups, but I would't be so sure they are so useless with critical listening. Although I can only tell from my experience with audio gear, not strictly sound production.

No offence taken, don't worry.

You should seriously do an article or paper as far as what you have learned with Audeze as it would be helpful to those buying them. Hopefully you can do it in English too since Google translate sucks with many of the technical terms of audio.

Jul 26, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #3,399 of 4,144
I think i'm starting to understand my issue with these...the seal feels legit like a really good pair of noise cancellation, like they create a complete little room in there. I'm not used to the preassure difference that creates. I realized this cuz it felt a lot like when Try on bose headphones at the airport, and I was feeling weird even when i wasn't listening to any music.

Sidebar; LCX or Jot? I now have both.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #3,401 of 4,144
OK, they CLEARLY are portable :ksc75smile:

There's no question about it, not a single one!
I took that photo and sent it to my mom, she didn't get why it was funny, until I sent a side pic, this one looks WAY better!
IMG_20190726_174853.jpg

Unrelated side note..i MAY or may not have underestimated how heavy 700grams on your head really is. I refuse to stop using it outside though, the looks I get ALONE are worth it.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #3,402 of 4,144
As far as the MX4, I mentioned that because they are so based on the midrange, whereas the highs and lows seem a little neglected.You either want a very analytical headphone like the HD800 or a fairly neutral one like the Clear. If not a more warm neutral HP like the LCD X. I would say the XC is more suited for studios, except that its too heavy and too fragile for the rigors of studio usage.

That's curious because I actually like how MX4 sound and I don't feel they lack on lows or highs. To my ears, they sound very credible in all frequency range. I only miss the openness and huge sound stage of the hd800 to be fair. However, there's no treble peak which allows listening without fatigue for longer periods - way more than the XC that are heavier and the treble is a bit piercing to me sometimes. I'm not into studio mixing business.

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #3,403 of 4,144
That's curious because I actually like how MX4 sound and I don't feel they lack on lows or highs. To my ears, they sound very credible in all frequency range. I only miss the openness and huge sound stage of the hd800 to be fair. However, there's no treble peak which allows listening without fatigue for longer periods - way more than the XC that are heavier and the treble is a bit piercing to me sometimes. I'm not into studio mixing business.
For me they are just my least favorite LCD. Too much of a midrange focus. Highs sound more muted to me on the MX4 and the soundstage too shallow. I understand some people like their sound but they sounded "meh" to me. I wanted to upgrade from the X to them after hearing them felt they were no upgrade at all even at their reduced sale price. They are not bad HP's per say, just not my type of sound signature.

Jul 29, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #3,404 of 4,144
Unrelated side note..i MAY or may not have underestimated how heavy 700grams on your head really is. I refuse to stop using it outside though, the looks I get ALONE are worth it.

That pic alone does all the talk. In real life it surely gets even more twisted (in a very positive way of course)!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 29, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #3,405 of 4,144
I think this calls for a new series of photos: LCD-XCs on transit!

My humble addition:
4Jywzk6_d.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back