AUDEZE LCD XC
Jun 12, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #3,301 of 4,165
Cool but you know you own the two “brightest” LCD’s that they make. The 3’s are funny, they are bright and lush sounding at the same time.

I am looking for the resolution that my X’s had in a closed format. I really like my CB’s but miss that extra resolve the X’s give me. The problem as I remember is the XC’s can be a lot more thin sounding than either the X’s or the CB’s. That’s what makes me hesitant in getting them.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #3,303 of 4,165
I sure do enjoy my XC's and the same for me @ModestMeowth more of my listening time is spent on the XC's over my 3's also..

Jun 12, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #3,304 of 4,165
I’ve been preferring my XC’s with a balanced cable over my 3’s lately too. But I’m looking for a new amp/dac combo, something small like the deckard but with a balanced option. I’m using the Bryston hp amp and the bda3 right now but it’s taking up to much space on my desk. It’s kinda hard when It’s that big. I have my tv and Xbox hooked up to it and want to put it under tv. I’m looking at the questyle lineup but if you guys have something for me between 1000 to 2000 range let me know

Jun 12, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #3,305 of 4,165
I’ve been preferring my XC’s with a balanced cable over my 3’s lately too. But I’m looking for a new amp/dac combo, something small like the deckard but with a balanced option. I’m using the Bryston hp amp and the bda3 right now but it’s taking up to much space on my desk. It’s kinda hard when It’s that big. I have my tv and Xbox hooked up to it and want to put it under tv. I’m looking at the questyle lineup but if you guys have something for me between 1000 to 2000 range let me know

I've been using balanced for a few years with my XC. Been using a small portable balanced DAC/amp for almost just as long. Sounds amazing to me.

DAC: Centrance HiFi M8 with XLR 4PIN
Cable: LavriCables 20-core pure silver balanced XLR 4PIN

Edit: the only downside with the DAC is it only support USB-B (PC or Android) or USB-A (iDevice by Apple)

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #3,306 of 4,165
Anyone here had the LCD X? If so, how does the XC compare?

Jun 13, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #3,307 of 4,165
LCD-X is way darker sounding, does not have the same impact of bass, but being open it sounds a lot more open as well. Very different headphones, in my experience.

Jun 13, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #3,309 of 4,165
LCD-X is way darker sounding, does not have the same impact of bass, but being open it sounds a lot more open as well. Very different headphones, in my experience.
Well it’s funny the CB’s have about the same width in the soundstage as the X’s, but less depth and are more 2D. They are also brighter sounding because that classic Audeze upper midrange dip is a lot less on them than on the X’s.

Jun 15, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #3,310 of 4,165
Two substantially different products. To use them both sounds like a plan!

Always a wonderful and supportive audio brother.
I feel they work nicely as a duo for variety sake. :)

Jun 15, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #3,311 of 4,165
Wow, you are one of the few that have described the XC as being warm. I didn’t think anyone was into them anymore as I see very little talk about them anymore.

Hi. Yeah. It is the old adage where by with the right amp And DAC the warmth factor can set quite high with the XC’s. I know they aren’t the warmest out there but they can be pretty close.
For me. They have thundering bass.
I love them. Very soft and easy on the ears.

Jun 15, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #3,312 of 4,165
I would tend to agree. They were glassy as all hell until they got the power they were starving for . In my case it took a $6k amp dac in the form of Chord Hugo 2tt. I also rolled many types of cables and found the Kimber Kable Axios Cooper to be the warmest of the ones I tried . Now they are quite warm indeed .

Jun 15, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #3,314 of 4,165
I would tend to agree. They were glassy as all hell until they got the power they were starving for . In my case it took a $6k amp dac in the form of Chord Hugo 2tt. I also rolled many types of cables and found the Kimber Kable Axios Cooper to be the warmest of the ones I tried . Now they are quite warm indeed .

I know. You’d think at 20 OHMS (purely resistive) they would not be so picky with amps, but they actually are! Lol. The joys of owning a planar with 130MM drivers.
XC’s need quality. I’ve A/B’d enough to know that.
Also. I love that you got a Chord DAC with them. I’ve done the same. I use the warm filter (orange) most of the time. Sounds incredible with the XC’s.
I’ve yet to try the Focal Stellia, but for now the XC’s are my closed back kings. :)

Jun 15, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #3,315 of 4,165
Variety is key. Most of our team wouldn't survive if we had only one set of cans and one amp at our office.

You couldn’t be more right and on top of that there is no headphone out there yet that does everything right.
I use 4 different headphones and it is necessary. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back